Live streaming shows, or, life in the era of the coronavirus

hope everyone is staying safe and well. apologies if this isn’t the right place for this inquiry.

i’m sure many of you are dealing with what i and my peers have been going through - shows, even small ones, getting canceled. people apprehensive to go see music. everyone wanting to hunker down and stay quarantined until there’s some better news on the horizon.

i and many of my peers would like to organize something in the interim - a ton of short solo shows, live-streamed to each other in some kind of organized video (or audio) chat. are there any platforms out there that are specifically good for this? i use zoom for company meetings and know it can share screens and feature the video of a person speaking, etc. the idea would be to set up set times, have everyone join the group, and pass the host / featured video and/or audio feed around the performers.

is this possible? are there any good ways to do this? i know there’s no way i’m the only one to think of this. does anyone have any suggestions of software to use for this kind of thing?

7 Likes

I wouldn’t rely on the video streams to carry the audio, I haven’t used anything that even remotely works for time-sensitive material.

I’ve been to a couple of gigs with people split across the Atlantic, using SuperCollider. It felt like witnessing magic. TidalCyles users are fond of Troop, but I don’t know how that performs over long distance.

Edit: Obviously these only carry control information and won’t teleport your audio in time. Ignore me (unless you use SC - maybe we get a surge in livecoding out of covid-19!)

4 Likes

I have setup something in this vain - icecast (http://icecast.org/) running on linux server, butt (http://danielnoethen.de/butt/) as a client for performers to connect to server and broadcast music and simple html5 web page with audio element pointing to icecast stream so anyone using computer/smartphone/anything_else_with_browser can listen.

3 Likes

I was just thinking of planning a live stream of a show to replace one of the (many) cancellations. Would love to avoid FB live.
Watching this topic with interest.

4 Likes

Icecast is great, not too difficult to setup on a linux server and there are loads of clients that you can use to stream to it. If you are a PureData user there is also the pdogg external to stream directly.

I’ve used it a bunch for some installations, and other web audio experiemnts. Also though it would be fun to write in a little ice streamer into Norns…

2 Likes

Maybe Discord screen share, for those who work primarily on laptops? You can now stream to up to 50 people on there.

1 Like

Eulerroom Equinox is streaming four days of live coding music & visuals in just a few days. Tune in!

Having participated in the past (not this time, out of practice & caught the modular bug), this involves mainly setting up OBS on the individual level & then coordinating around a shared channel (in this case the Eulerroom channel). Quality can vary depending on each individual setup/circumstance but is generally good. Some services will have an option to archive so that past performances can be viewed which is great.

6 Likes

The tricky thing here seems to be the server part. I wouldn’t know where to start to set something up and would likely have to rely on a “corporate” offering like Youtube. Though maybe there are some easy solutions out there which I’m not aware of?

3 Likes

You all should look into Twitch. I’ve watched many live stream music shows on there. Seems to work great and has a little chat too.

6 Likes

you have a specific setup for twitch? I’d be particularly interested on how to stream from OSX-internal software (e.g. SuperCollider)

1 Like

I have never put out content myself. Just watched others. I think they’d have all the specs on the site. It is made for gamers to stream their playing so I assume it can transmit internal audio idk. Only thing is, I’ve never seen “passing” the stream to someone else.

@LFSaw i found it pretty easy to use JACK and OBS on linux
(OBS can stream to different services including twitch, youtube)
dunno about mac though…
https://obsproject.com/

6 Likes

I’ve used Soundflower with OBS on OSX, and have been hearing great things about BlackHole as a replacement for Soundflower

10 Likes

I’ve been using Blackhole for a while, it’s great!

1 Like

I’ve been feeling like this crisis is a kind of primer for the coming climate apocalypse and the information in this thread is therefore very relevant to our needs. Thank you.

3 Likes

Another option:

5 Likes

this looks interesting… i had intended to just schedule a bunch of solo sets, but this could be even better. and maybe digital human interaction is more ideal. thanks!

2 Likes

I’ll also mention that the jamtaba client has added webcam support, so it’s pretty great for a music oriented get together on multiple levels.

Please feel free to make use of beepboop.fm port 2049 if you wish. There’s a bot in there that announces presence to the disquiet slack, so there’s a chance someone will join you even if you enter spontaneously.

5 Likes

I’ll echo the comments regarding OBS.

Most streaming platforms are supported (youtube, facebook, periscope, twitch) and due to the popularity of streaming in the gaming community, there is a lot of information about how to set it up on OSX, Linux or Windows.

It can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it.

2 Likes

I like this thread. Just registered for twitch and downloaded OBS. No luck getting audio from vcv rack into OBS yet but hopefully I’m almost there…

3 Likes