Live streaming shows, or, life in the era of the coronavirus

A helpful list for streams to people to listen to from DivKid

https://divkidvideo.com/coronavirus-isolation-live-streams/

After my performance on Saturday 21 March at 4pm GMT I’m happy to answer questions you can send in on the accompanying YouTube Chat. I know so often at shows that people come up afterwards and want to learn more about what was used to create the sound, so more than happy to offer time to do that!

3 Likes

Hi, today at 8PM GMT+1 (should be 3PM EDT I think?) there will be stream at my radio: http://firmanty.com/radio/ of electronic/ambient music played live by my friend ku_tzu: https://opuselefantum.bandcamp.com/album/architekci-wspomnie
If you are interested in Polish alternative music I invite you to give it a listen and there should be more live shows at page soon :slight_smile: Radio should work on any device that has web browser which support HTML5 (so win/mac/linux/smartphones/tablets etc. should do the trick).
EDIT: it is streaming right now :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/eulerroom/live/
k-blamo
we’re on at 8 pacific tonight thurs
(0300UTCfriday)
it’s on now live coding
socal distancing/digital contacts
lots of cool sounds on there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

it’s very simple. each artist has their own twitch account and the main leaving records account will act as the “switchboard”. twitch has a feature where you can enter a “set host” command in the chat room that will hard cut the video feed to another actively streaming twitch account. we’re all in a private group chat so we can communicate behind the scenes and let each other know when our stream is up and we’re ready for the switch to happen.

going this route to do our best to preserve sound quality and avoid double encoding/compression that would come with rebroadcasting.

if there’s a better solution that doesn’t involve paying $900/year to livestream.com (aka vimeo) i’d love to know :slight_smile:

9 Likes

A friend and I are looking to jam, virtually, in the next day or so and I’ve been looking at software. We both will be playing guitars - some hand-eye coordination would be nice between the two of us. This seems close to ideal but I’m wondering about ease-of-use especially when it comes to setup. I think I can handle most things but I’m not sure about him. I’m on a Mac… no idea what he is on. You seem to have experience here so thought I’d ask!

On the client side setup couldn’t be easier. Just grab the installer from https://jamtaba-music-web-site.appspot.com/

If you’re familiar with Linux, setting up a NINJAM server is simple. You can also use mine at beepboop.fm port 2049

Jamtaba includes webcam support but it syncs with your music, which is intentionally delayed in order to make things sync (with an offset) at the bar (for whatever definition of “bar” you might have). This means you will be hearing everybody else’s prior “interval” (NINJAM term) while you play your current one.

Before you play you agree on a BPM and a BPI. BPM is a familiar concept. BPI stands for beats per interval. I often pick 8. There are reasons for making the number larger or smaller depending on genre and intent.

It’s an approach that works well for repetitive or cyclical music. But you aren’t going to be seeing your friend’s hands in real time. The beats will be synced, but you will be seeing and hearing their past, and they yours.

Sounds confusing but for many common types of electronic music it just works. You really don’t even notice the delay because things are in sync.

2 Likes

Autechre are DJing now (15.30 UK time 20.03.2020)

I’m a product manager on Mixlr, so if anyone wants a hand with setting up a broadcast on Mixlr, feel free to send me a message directly.

Also very easy to set-up several remote locations from one account if that’s what you want to do!

4 Likes

Graham Dunning streaming his mechanical techno set now (21:07 UK time)

EDIT: It’s really good so far, highly recommended

4 Likes

It’s sadly right in the middle of the night for me but for people in Europe or America the time is manageable : Blanck Mass is going to do a livestream on Satudray 21st at 20:00 GMT.

Ben Powers is one of my favourite artists (loved his work in Fuck Buttons, love his solo work too), I bought some little things from him I didn’t already have on Bandcamp today, hopefully the live will be stored somewhere later.

So you can listen to Scanner / @robinrimbaud’s live, get something to eat/drink and then listen to Blanck Mass. Not bad for an isolated Saturday.

1 Like

so, many fine artists on this stream
http://equinox.eulerroom.com/schedule.html
we (k-blamo) got to be on it last night (gracias)
…had me thinking…
what would it take for there to be a llllllll.co livestream server?

1 Like

damnit, there’s this at 9pm GMT:

It’s like I live in London and have to choose one of three shows all over again :slight_smile:

(ht @disquiet)

1 Like

Sounds like a fun evening. I’ll try not to ramble on too much after my set then to give people a chance to grab a bite to eat and relax their ears :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good morning. Listening and starting another work from home day in NYC. This is great. Thanks.

1 Like

Did my first test streaming last night on OBS and Twitch. I also tried to stream on YouTube and Facebook, but couldn’t get the streams running for some reason. Tried generating stream keys several times on those platforms and putting them into OBS, but only Twitch worked—hmmm.

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread—it helps to see what everyone else is doing. I’m streaming as resonant_space on Twitch and will be doing more streams soon. It was a little crazy, since I was doing both modular video and audio synthesis, plus trying to handle the stream, but it was fun. I’m one of the coordinators of the DC Modular Collective, and we’d like to figure out how we can do multi performer shows. Is that possible on OBS? Could I provide the video stream and use a remote audio stream? Or just switch streams from OBS? Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ll be doing a relatively short live show on Monday at 4PM, Paris Time (GMT +1).
It will be Broadcasted on Facebook Live. Hope you’re all well.

I’m watching Colin Benders unfold reality in Amsterdam with a live performance with Audio Obscura. Yesterday a stream with Hainbach was aired too.

2 Likes

So his hard is this to set up? I know nothing about Linux servers or anything, I’m on a Mac. Can the resulting stream then be sent to Youtube, Twitch or something? I’m really struggling to find info regarding multi-user location streams.

I did find this software called JamKazam. I tried it and it works but it looks really outdated. I have a feeling this company went out of business.

It’s really easy, my performance today used OBS on the iMac, which connects directly to YouTube. Worked perfectly and used iPhone as my camera and quality was superb! Check it out here if you want, if only to see the quality :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Some notes about streaming audio & video shows:

1. Stream yourself to the world: Use OBS locally, stream to Twitch / YouTube / Facebook who’ll do a great job of getting it to anyone who wants to tune in. Hardest part is setting up OBS - which isn’t that hard, see other posts.

2. Stream yourself to friends on your own: Use OBS locally, stream to a linux server in the cloud. Use nginx to reflect the stream to people connecting. You need to supply them with the URL, and you pay for all the outgoing bandwidth. That said, if you want to stream to say <100 people w/o using the big services, this is doable if you have some Linux chops.

3. Multi-location stream to the word: This is complex - but I’m working on it. I’m doing it with a linux server running ngenix and OBS on the server (!) - which is then remote controlled to composite video and audio artists, switch between sets, show title cards, etc… I’m setting this up for an upcoming on live version of our monthly Resonant Frequencies concert. If this is the kind of thing you want to do, my work-in-progress design, notes, and instructions are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OLvpEui-GOJ7qOuGXoMd3d0XYw58Zjry-_7kjwG1CFc/edit?usp=sharing

10 Likes