Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

As this might be interesting for the lines crowd, after many years of development, Loomer has announced the release date of Architect, a graphical dataflow MIDI processing environment that can also host VST, AU and LADSPA(!) plugins and can be used as a plugin within another DAW. More details currently on KVR forums:

16 Likes

The sequencer interface looks fantastic. Reminds me a bit of the flexible timelines in Radium:

2 Likes

This is out in public beta… anyone try yet?

Public Beta post :point_right:t2: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=517474

1 Like

Ha! I never thought I’d be so interested in a software program. Thanks for posting about this. I might end up actually buying software for a change. :blush:

2 Likes

I had a quick play with this, making a midi sequence and then sequencing transpositions of it with another sequencer. It was easy to set up and seems extremely good.

Has anyone made anything neat?

Bumping this because I think it’s a very exciting piece of software. What surprised me is that you can map practically everything to a controller, down to the individual per-step velocity sliders on the sequencers. I’m still learning a lot of the software, but I’ve already built a “Fragment” that acts a quick step-sequencer for Digitakt/RYTM. Put this in your Architect/Fragments folder and it will be available for quick access:

Digitakt Sequencer.zip (1.6 KB)

6 Likes

Bumping again. If you haven’t used this, you’re sleeping on a masterful piece of software. He just added in per-step probability lanes to every sequencer.

Seriously, this is a great piece of engineering. It boots up practically instantly on all of my computers, and I’ve had zero crashes despite throwing some wild MIDI nonsense at it.

8 Likes

I just found out about this software! Looking forward to trying it out!

Can I control it similar to you can control Numerology with a LaunchPad?

How do I locate my fragments folder?

On Windows it’s C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Loomer\Architect\Fragments

On Mac, I imagine it’d be in a similar place in Documents or the User Library, but I’m not in front of it to check.

1 Like

Can it use Ableton Link?

I wish someone would post a video of the software in use. Haven’t been able to find a single one.

1 Like

I’m not sure if it can use Ableton Link, but it can run as a plugin in any DAW. I’ve had no trouble using it in Live.

2 Likes

You’re the best! Thank you very much!

Bumping this thread again to mention that I’ve been using this for a month and it’s amazing. This will probably become my main DAW. It allows you to use a standard timeline-based structure if you want, but you can also free yourself from that rigid structure and trigger groups of sequencers whenever you want. Also, the ability to use radical aleatoric techniques is way beyond anything I’ve seen before – eg, there are multiple flavors of random data/MIDI generation (uniform distribution, normal distribution, beta distribution, Bernoulli distribution) and you can route these random sources to any aspects of the sequencers that you want (note pitches, per-step probability, note lengths, etc). You can also route any data manipulation to VST parameters or external CV. This thing is mind-blowing!

The only downside is that, since it’s still in beta, there’s no instruction manual and no tutorial videos. That means the learning curve is steep, and there are some things you might want (LFOs, envelopes, etc) that aren’t there yet. However, the developer is super nice and responds quickly to emails or posts on the KVR subforum. He’s said that once this leaves beta he’ll have a full instruction manual. And it’s easy to code whatever you want – I’ve built my own LFOs, random walk sequencers, and envelopes with no trouble.

Anyhow, Loomer is the most inspiring thing I’ve used in a long while. I can’t recommend it enough.

4 Likes

I agree, its amazing! Curious how you build lfo’s and envelopes?

Sure! You can build a ramp LFO as follows: poll the song position (using get clock) with the fastest metronome (I think it’s 1/128?), divide the resulting sequence of integers by a constant (use one of the 1/n ticks constants) so that the integers increase by 128 over your desired LFO period (eg over 1 bar), and then take the result mod 128. This gives you a stream of values that goes from 0 to 127 each period, and now you can remap this range to anything you want (eg, 0 to 1 if you want to modify VST parameters). The nice thing is that since this is a data stream rather than an audio stream, the fact that it’s very granular (the LFO will only change values with each metronome tick) doesn’t matter and it’s super light on the CPU.

Note that this is just a modified version of the “building your own sequencer” part of the getting started guide. Once you have a ramp LFO, you can create a sine LFO by mapping your values from 0 to 2 pi and then take sin of those values. Building an envelope is similar to the ramp LFO, except that it only goes from 0 to 127 once instead of repeatedly.

3 Likes

Curious about how this would compare to Max/MSP? Any significant differences/benefits?

In some ways it’s very much like max/MSP, in that you connect modules via wires and build logic that way. However, there’s one big way in which it’s different: unlike max/MSP, you build only MIDI logic in Architect. There is no audio manipulation. Once your signals leave MIDI land and go to your VSTs or external devices, it’s now in that domain and it doesn’t come back. (Architect is a capable vst host and you can manipulate mixer parameters & vst parameters, but that’s the extent of it.)

Depending on your pov this is either a plus or a minus. For me, I find it a lot more usable than max/MSP, which I tried for a while but kept bouncing off of – the learning curve is much less steep in Architect than max/MSP and I find it freeing to only consider MIDI logic. That way, I’m explicitly thinking about song & sequencer structure when I build the programming, which I find more interesting than messing around with audio on an atomic level. Also, Architect has built-in devices like song sequencing and ready-made step/note sequencers. I haven’t used max/MSP in a while, but the last time I used it there wasn’t any of that.

2 Likes

Many people here using this still? I’m very interested in it and am considering buying it.

Is anyone using it to control external gear? I’d like to send it out to my various hardware via a usb midi interface (blokas midihub) but I’m completely new to the idea of sequencing via a computer so I want to make sure that I’m still able to get somewhat tight timing and keep everything in sync properly.

Would love to hear anything anyone has to say on it?

1 Like