Lower-level audio programming

I’ve finally dived into writing software for performance in the deeper realm of computing. Currently using the rtaudio-library for C++, a new world of audio-related segfaults and unexpected, uncomfortable and tinnitus-inducing audio-glitches has opened itself unto me (not recommending wearing headphones while getting a buffer overflow in your output stream).

But the documentation for audio programming in C/C++ is sparse, — or rather, more difficult to come by. So does anyone of you have any finds and tips and tricks and ideas and specifically documentation or other resources for audio related programming closer to the metal?

3 Likes

This subject is easily the most fun I’ve had on a computer.
What’s your platform? Which audio service layer are you using? (JACK/ALSA/ASIO/CoreAudio/etc)

I find documentation in this area either highly-generalized/abstracted or very platform-dependent. But for me the larger picture slowly came into focus as I spent more time with the materials and experimenting with my preferred platform/service-layer.

EDIT: Might be worth it to mention that I first started working with JUCE and rtaudio as I thought it would be more straightforward. Actually the opposite became true and it was much easier for me to understand how all the pieces fit together without them being abstracted for me by some huge platform-independent library.

For now, here’s some generalized stuff which helped me…

Here’s a fairly good article on dealing with audio streams, though a little heavy-handed on the mutex-hate.
Real-time audio programming 101: time waits for nothing

Great article on implementing a short-time fourier transform with fftw3 for creating phase vocoders (frequency/phase shifters) and the like
Short Time Fourier Transform with FFTW3

And of course the venerable musicdsp.org

Lastly something I found on Facebook today as motivation to not give up:

16 Likes

Those are great shares, thanks! Really need to get my hands dirty with fft when I get the time.

I’m on Arch Linux (stock kernel) using Jack on Alsa. I’m coming from puredata and openframeworks, and are well versed in both, but have the last year or so been more and more obsessed with removing the abstractions and going deeper. It makes so much sense for so many reasons (several of which Kim Cascone mentions).

Speaking of, I’ve tried not to jump so much between C++ and C (in general, not only audio-related stuff) because I started writing C-like in C++ and (to some degree) vice versa, so I’ve focused on C++ mainly because of vectors, less pointers and a writing style I find easier to parse as a human. But I see you’re using C in Candor — may I ask why?

these are great resources, thank you!

i’m really excited about gentoo. my hope is to strip it down to almost nothing to get as close as possible to the feeling of programming direct to chip firmware rather than a desktop app.

C is also my preferred language-- i’m hoping not to touch C++ even for audio. is this a realistic goal?

1 Like

I don’t think the choice of distro really makes that much of a difference in most cases, at least that’s been my experience. I’ve used Debian, Gentoo, CentOS and Ubuntu all for quite a number of years in many different contexts. I find it’s usually easiest to drop the GUI entirely and just work with the console, then the main differences are usually just package management and the init system.

As far as doing the math / audio part of programming there’s going to be little difference in doing it in C vs. C++. I think it’s totally realistic to just write everything in C, it’s not that unusual…

However, I find the big benefit of C++ is being able to organize code using namespaces and classes, and occasionally use templates for a few things. C++11 has come a long way from when I was programming C++ even a decade ago, there’s lots of conveniences (foreach iteration, auto keyword, constant expressions) that make programming much more expressive without compromising efficiency (in most cases). Also C++ has stricter type safety than C so the compiler can catch a lot of less obvious mistakes for you

3 Likes

What kind of documentation are you looking for? How to program C/C++ in general? How to use certain libraries? Algorithms? All of the above?

(hey, nice vid share, Murray, Kim Cascone is one of my heroes. folks should see the whole thing :bomb:)

6 Likes

Well, it basically started with what seemingly was rtaudio continuing to output the old buffer even after memsetting to 0, and I realized that I didn’t know where to go to figure out what I did wrong — I realized I didn’t even know basics like whether the stream should open and close between playbacks, or how I should treat the timing and threading.

But instead of asking about such specifics (which I am sure are answered somewhere out there already), I thought I could rather check whether this topic had any interest on this forum, and open a thread for us to share resources related to purist/minimalist/non-consumerist software creation in less abstracted languages.

So yeah, specifics about libraries or general audiomath is interesting. So is discussions about languages and techniques (audio in assembly anyone?), or more philosophical/idealistic/political reasons for spending months creating tools instead of using what’s already out there. Interesting code you’ve written or found, or links to other fora related to the same topic is also cool.

If you want something more specific, I’m looking for something like [this book] (http://www.pd-tutorial.com/english/index.html), just for the C-family instead, and also more stuff like this.

2 Likes

musicdsp.org is a brilliant resource. the kvraudio dsp forums are where a lot of really good discussions and research happen these days (couple high-level people from NI post there, urs from u-he, andy simper from cytomic…).

be careful what of c++ you use. most audio software is written in c++, but ross bencina’s “time waits for nothing” is required reading if you’re doing dsp work.

personally, i use c for everything. i have an entire vst written in c. no problems.

-w

3 Likes

I came across a pretty good discussion on C vs. C++ in the ChibiOS forums, as it pertains to embedded programming:

http://forum.chibios.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2702

Check out “Audio Programming” on MIT Press for the C side. Also check out “Electronic Music and Sound Design” from MIT as well that goes into the theory using MAX/MSP. Both massive resources.

6 Likes

Coming to this thread pretty late! I just wanted to say thanks for posting the Kim Cascone video – his point at the end about the importance of being slow during the creative process is so important. My composition teacher used to talk about living with a text you’re setting; needing that ephemeral research time to live & allow yourself to experiment, and just let life throw entropy at you – which can sometimes be the key that unlocks that moment when things begin to click… I have many producer friends who obsess over getting their workflows to a point where they can pump out new things really fast, and I feel are missing the opportunity for reflection that comes with slowing down your workflow, at least sometimes…

8 Likes

we are heavily off topic from low level audio programming :slight_smile:

I am a big fan of his - was on his micro sound list years ago and some of my work ended up on compilations from that list.

I like some of his views about making software - I think though there is something to be said for “instant” composition - I look to people like AMM , Evan Parker etc or the likes of John Zorn (or the cloud of people around him) who can sit with an instrument and just play - I think one of my goals is to be able to sit with electronic instruments and just play. It may well be that that process involves writing software (one reason I’m so keen on Norns - it feels like a big step in the right direction for my ambitions. The Organelle was somewhat that but not quite there for me)

5 Likes

on the topic of C/C++ - having now returned to coding as a hobby -(it was my career until relatively recently but I don’t do it in my day job at all now) it’s nice to be writing code for fun.

I was a C/C++ engineer during my 20’s (I worked on telemetry systems for Williams F1 for a while! proper real time ;-)) and I find I switch between them freely - C++ changed a lot in the intervening time but I’ve caught up a bit. A lot of C ends up with pseudo object orientation anyway (& I’m old enough to remember when C++ was basically a pre-processor for C) - value in both

1 Like

Well I fully appreciate you taking the time to express that even after this time :slight_smile: I fully agree and to expand on what you’ve said about workflows–I have a hunch that many (including my) magic/extraordinary moments occur after a deep level of comfortability has been developed over time with a creative process and movements in that workflow become more refined, subtle, less dramatic, more… natural or accurate or something? fireflies of a truer intimacy flicker subtly amongst the hedgerows of dreary familiarity?

4 Likes

I’m wondering if anyone has a list or knows of any open source audio projects written in C that are of interest here? I think I will try to do some research and come back with any other resources I can find. It would be good to take a look at the uses of C in audio applications. There might not be many tutorials, but I’m sure there are software libraries to learn from.

1 Like

The Aleph code base is/was all written in C. There is a lot of info in the monome.org docs section on the aleph.

Are all the recent eurorack modules/teletype C as well?

I believe so, yes. @xievub I think a lot of Mutable Instruments’ module code is also written in C! Also, of course, the Csound language, some parts of Pd, I think SuperCollider is in C++… etc.

I would recommend additive synthesis as a fun first thing to explore if starting coding audio DSP from the ground up without pulling in a big library of existing tools.

Basic smoothing using a rolling average is another intuitive building block not requiring a degree in audio to work out from first principles.

The deep puzzles of audio DSP come in when you start messing around with resonant filters, distortion, sawtooth waves and playback/recording at different pitch/speed.

1 Like

Ok, here is the collected set of projects related to C audio programming.

A list of low level C audio libraries and projects:
Audio DSP Environments

puredata
csound
rtcmix
extempore
SoundPipe
Sporth

Applications

schismtracker
klystrack
Advanced GTK+ Sequencer