M8 Tracker

Super saw can become quite the rabbit hole for a developer, along with unison and detune. While I did not do the coding myself, a friend working on a commercially available synth, told me everyday, a whole summer long, about his findings and iterations on the topic :joy:

3 Likes

he’s developed more than a few synths w supersaw in the past.

1 Like

Anyone sort out a good (very small) microphone to use with the M8? Thanks.

i imagine mic pre - a tiny line-level electret microphone preamp for Norns/modular/field recording and whatnot would work well if some light diy is an option

2 Likes

I settled on a Zoom H1n. Critter Guitari Microphone is another option in the same price range, but H1n offers quite a bit more. (Guilt from supporting Zoom instead of CG assuaged by owning 2 Organelles.)

2 Likes

Thanks, @4321. Yeah, that looks like a good option. I am hoping for something small enough it’d fit in the case with the M8.

And thanks, @rbxbx. I’m not sure my meager abilities are even up to that light level DIY, but I’m thinking about giving it a go.

1 Like

Any of you guys have favorite scripts for Norns and the m8? Was having a lot of fun yesterday, going to try to get the audio over usb working.

Was having weird creative blocks while I was jamming, though, probably just because of all the stopping and starting setting up midi connections.

I didn’t know that audio over usb worked between Norns and M8! Is it just plug and play or do you have to write code?

Had to mess around with the connect-opz code and managed to get audio into Norns from the M8.

Not able to get audio back into M8 from the Norns.

2 Likes

Oh, I’ll probably just continue to transfer recordings with my computer and i/o then.

Have you seen any of the small coin-cell powered cheap electrets for cameras/phones/vlogging? Some google hunting turned up the movo lv1 lavaliere, has a trrs connection but can probably be adapted to the trs that the m8 wants, and it’s all of $13 from the online super store which will not be named.

It probably needs a ton of gain since it’s probably a mic level signal and the M8 is looking for something more like a line in.

I’ve got a Sony stereo clip on mic that originally came with a md recorder that can run on a little button cell or plug in power. It works with the m8, but extremely quiet. Looks like the current version of it that is still available is pip only.

That’s a cool suggestion, and cheap enough that it’s worth as an experiment. If I give it a go, I’ll report back. Thanks.

this lil critter & guitari mic was just brought to my attention, definitely meets small criteria, unsure about very small though

https://www.critterandguitari.com/microphone

has a lil battery powered pre in it so I imagine it would work well with the m8

2 Likes

Yeah, that one is on my mind. Can’t I want something smaller? :slight_smile:

I like the look of this but can’t seem to find one shippable to the UK currently.

I’ll have to settle for my Zoom 2qn for direct recording to the M8.

1 Like