MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) and serialosc

EDIT – my problem resolved itself on its own, so it’s not clear that there’s any cause for concern!

I figured I’d be the canary, update to 10.14 and report if anything was broken, and I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that serialosc (in Max and Max for Live), automatically detects my grid!

The bad news is that somehow all the messages are a little bit screwy. For example, sending /monome/grid/led/set 2 0 1 in Max will light buttons (row,column): (0,2), (2,2) and (3,2), and sending /../set 2 0 0 turns them all off again. Bizarrely, some messages sent seem to have no effect. This pattern seems to continue in the other patches that I’ve tried, for example in Stretta’s Fourths, you can see from my picture that the “scale” lighting is messed up and the grid lights up the same pattern of additional LEDs when I press them. Fourths otherwise is mostly working correctly, although row 6 seems to now produce no note output.

Happy to test more things, clarify etc.

My specs: a 2015 grid, a 2015 MacBook (not a MacBook Pro; for ports it has one USB-C, grid is connected directly), MacOS 10.14, Max 8, Ableton Live 10, serialoscd was current as of my last checking a month ago.

Arduinome: building, troubleshooting, using, etc

looks like serial communication is borked by another process or just doesn’t work properly with the new OS. do the buttons work as expected?

yep, I just tested all of them with a print object; no issue there.

i’m running mojave without issue (i think?) on an older macbook air 13". i’ll double check to make sure everything is good.

i’m starting to worry about the USB C layer.

i can anecdotally report similar led behavior via usb-c on a 2017 macbook pro running sierra—can’t experiment further unfortunately, as i’ve long since sold the machine in question.

For what it’s worth, I had no issue with the same setup on High Sierra! Typically I connect via an Anker powered hub, which also had no issues in High Sierra.

And actually bizarrely I just tried again and now everything seems fine? Yep, all the apps work as expected, and sending messages to serialosc produces expected results… sorry for the noise!

Hey there,
I can’t get my monome to run on Mojave.

Pages “SerialOSC Setup” can detect it when I look for it in JmDNS but not in Apple, which hasn’t been the case before. As soon as I connect it some LED’s light up and it freezes.

I also tried connecting it to a m4l patch (Kolorit) but m4l can’t find it at all…
I build my monome/pages/ableton setup two years ago, I’ve been performing with it a lot but haven’t touched the setup ever since and now I really don’t remember anything that made it run in the first place. Now I got a new Mac and I setup completely from scratch.

I really tried going through all the threads, but can somebody please give a dummy how to?

My Setup:
MacBook Pro 2015 15’ - Mojave 10.14.1
Monome 256 (m256-137)
Pages-0.2a51
Ableton 10

Pleeeease help me

try testing by downloading max and installing the monome max package. there’s a grid test and grid howto patch included which should hopefully not have trouble talking to serialosc. have you installed the newest serialosc?

I managed to find a sollution for everything but the connection between Pages External App and Max. Bonjour Browser shows the Externals Apps but Kolorit can‘t see them.

I guess its a 32/64bit problem of zeroconfig?!

On Max 8 its not working, on Max 7 it is all fine…

If you have an idea please let me know if not i shut up now, i went too far off topic anyway…

FWIW things are working for me:

• 2013 Mac Pro
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.1
  • Max 8.0.1
  • 128 gird (2012)
  • arc 4 (2017)
  • AppleUSBFTDI driver provided by the OS

The gird and arc are connected to a USB2 hub which is in turn connected to one of the Mac Pro’s USB3 ports (not that that should really matter). I can unplug/replug the grid/arc and have them detected correctly.

Note: I did have to fully power cycle the machine after it was upgraded before things started working, attempts to use the grid right after the warm reboots from the upgrade process didn’t work

So people are generally ok with Mojave?

I’m still on Sierra as High Sierra seemed like a mess, and not compatible with monome stuff(?). Wouldn’t mind upgrading as it’s been a long time.

I have continued to not have problems with Mojave! Also, dark mode is surprisingly pleasant.

Just set up my first monome (64) w/ mojave and no issues at all. Serialosc didn’t seem to want to get installed but I tried a couple times and it finally worked.

Skipped from Sierra to Mojave myself and have had no issues I recall. Using current model grid, Motu interface, iConnect midi.

That’s good enough for me! Downloading it now.

(though I dread having Safari 12, since as last I read it breaks a lot of extensions, and a couple I use don’t work anymore… (Right Exit and OpenAtEnd))

I’m having nothing buy sucsess so far with Mojave. Made the jump from El Capitan to Mojave I think. Mainly using the terms m4l package, the notes app and re:mix. No troubles so far.

I have a hard time getting serialosc to run again after my mac woke up form sleeping. Un plugging and repugging seem not to help. I am on Mojave.

is there any hint on what to do every time my system is crashing or the computer hibernates i have to do a restart. @tehn any leads?

are you running serialosc manually or is it autostarting?

you don’t have the FTDI OEM driver installed, correct?