Madrona Labs Aalto\\Kaivo with grid...lets make it happen

Ive just recently sold my euro and jumped back into the “box” as they say. As I’m going back to my old faithfuls Aalto and kaivo… it seems the sequencer portion of these synths would pair sooooo damn nicely with a grid. is it just me or should we start a campaign for randy or someone to conquer grid support?

10 Likes

What would you like the grid to do with the interface itself that it couldn’t by externally sequencing the synths?

Genuine question since for knob movement / patching and MPE capabilities, other midi controllers might be better suited but I’d love to hear your ideas of what would make interesting! (toggling connections on / off, matrix style? Using columns as faders to move modulation heights? I don’t know, still feels a generic midi controller with simple midi mapping might be better suited)

3 Likes

It would be nice if the grid could provide 16 columns each setting a pitch value for a single step of the sequencer, from a user selected scale.

1 Like

Yes I get that but if all you want is the sequencer and pitch / scale control, why not just sequence from outside? (I say all this because I think it might quite some load of work to have native grid control of Madrona softs so it needs to be quite thought out)

1 Like

Come to think of it I was maybe having a “hard to see the forest through the trees” moment.

Being fairly new to the grid realm I’d be cool with setting the grid up as a basic midi controller with custom mappings. Bottom row toggles the gates on the internal sequencer and the 7 rows above that control the faders in the seq.

3 Likes

Check out @tehn’s comment here…sounds like he’s done exactly this in the past.

Thanks for linking to it ! Also it’s worth mentionning that @randy has his plate full already with all the work he’s doing at the moment so this is not exactly a priority for him. And lastly, if even @tehn went through the hassle of midi mapping his grid through the DAW/Max to do this, I can only assume native implementation must be anything but trivial.

Again, not at all criticizing anyone or any idea here, I love my grid and I have everything Madrona Labs so I’d love a slightly more user friendly implementation of both together, but I also know sometimes it’s a matter of doing the work by yourself with your knowledge even if it feels a bit like a hack.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, agreed… this is almost certainly going to be a Max and/or OSC project for the user who wants it, not an official update or anything. Link was more to show that it can technically be done (though certainly implementation will be a bit cumbersome). More generally / as an aside, Aalto’s sequencer is quite a deep and unusual beast. Each Aalto voice is running its own instance of the sequencer under the hood. So you can use the “vox” parameter to set up different sequences (or at least playheads) per voice, it’s really quite amazing stuff.

1 Like

Why not just use the gridControl max for live device and map it yourself?

1 Like

Totally agree! I’m going to go the easy peasy osc route and call it a day.