Make Music That Sounds Like a Lantern (Junto 0291)

Disquiet Junto Project 0291: Lantern Effect
Make music that suggests the way a paper lantern filters light.

Step 1: Consider what might be called the “lantern effect” — the way light is filtered through the textured material of a paper lantern.

Step 2: Consider how the lantern effect, a visual phenomenon, might have a sonic corollary. That is, answer to the question: What would the lantern effect sound like?

Step 3: Record a short piece of music that evidences the lantern effect idea that arose from Step 1 and Step 2.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: If your hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0291” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: In this discussion thread at llllllll.co please consider posting your track.

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, July 31, 2017. This project was posted in late afternoon, California time, on Thursday, August 3, 2017.

Length: The length is entirely up to the participant, though two or three minutes is suggested.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0291” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information, along with details of your source audio, including links to it:

More on this 291st weekly Disquiet Junto project — Lantern Effect: Make music that suggests the way a paper lantern filters light — at:

https://disquiet.com/0291/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

http://llllllll.co/t/make-music-that-sounds-like-a-lantern-junto-0291/?source_topic_id=8687

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Flickr member Jena Nordgren. It’s used thanks to a (note: No Derivatives) Creative Commons license:

creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/

The project is now live.

buona luce a tutti. la mia traccia:
https://soundcloud.com/user-941288896-491859901/luxdisquiet0291

Took this quite literally. Looked at the spectrum of LED warm indoor house lighting. That in Hz is roughly E-flat/D-sharp. Made several pad/deep flute drones in that tone.

The “ribs” of the lantern housing is a comb filter.

The ‘ambient glow’: shimmery delays/reverbs, focused on the core tone.

https://soundcloud.com/user-208393504/paperless-lights-disquiet0291

Coincidentally I have 12 paper lanterns as lighting in my studio (see cover image). They give off a nice warm diffuse light. When the studio gear gets warm, the lights gently move back and forth on the warm air currents. With that in mind I wanted to make a short piece that was kind of woozy and swaying with a diffuse sound.

Track was recorded in Logic, soft synth “guitar” sounds processed through outboard gear, Korg A1, Yamaha SPX90 and a Roland DEP5. Drums programmed in Strike. Modo Bass for bass.

My idea was to use Ableton Live’s vaguely oriental-sounding piano samples with some reverb, as the guitar part fades in.

The effect I wanted was the diffuse light of a paper lantern but also that opaque view of the lighting source as you draw close.

To start with, if you are having some light, there needs to be a background darkness to be lit, so I created a soft slightly detuned bass note on the Dark Energy that would act as the darkness. I added a sine-wave sequence that was played through Clouds to give a bit of ‘air’. (later in the track, I change the mix to play more of the original sequence, to add some structure to the piece). For the ‘light’ I tuned the four oscillators of the A-143-4 to a nice warm feeling chord. I also added Tides with a lot of random and semi-random modulation to act as the flickering flame. Adding light also deepens the shadows, so I added a deep bass note from an A-110 for that. A second sine wave sequence, in a different and totally independent time to the first, was also added, with accents provided in time with the first sine sequence, this made the two sequences play together in an unusual and drifting way. Lots of modulation from LFOs chasing their tails, and lots of manually played modulation as the piece progresses, along with a few small notes from the Bass-Station 2, and then a fade out as the flame dies.

i was playing piano to destress and wasnt planning on using this but when i plugged it into the fx it seemed to fit well.

i used the crystal reverb effect in ableton as it’s really bright and airy. i was thinking of wave particle duality, that quantum slit experiment, light refraction

i was trying to make that low end less muddy for a bit but then realized it fit with a sense of being claustrophobic inside a lantern

The playlist is now live:

My piece considers the masking of sound as a filter is applied to it. Five notes are initially offered after which a filter is slowly applied. While some tones continue through the filter (no photographic filter is perfect, the steepness of the cut always allows some unwanted light to continue through), the others are removed, only to morph and reform into an altered version of the original. By the time the piece has completed, the five tones have been offered as twelve different forms.

For what it is worth, I tried to figure out the chord that was employed and a chord namer program offered “Minor 6th Add 14th” in case that is helpful. If interested, as always, the score is available.

This piece is written for impossible chorus.

The score is available at http://bit.ly/2tJZHNz

I started trying out several effects and reverbs and delays…and had in mind to create a tranquil piece of music.
At some point it took a turn towards indie, so I stopped there and played a dark ambient middle section, before taking up the theme of the beginning.Speaking of art and music, I am not good at having an idea and then do it 1 : 1; I am more the sort of person who has an idea, starts and in the process gets impulses, intuitions, and I like to follow those. So I often come up with something different than what I had thought. I thought of the paper lantern all the while while playing…so this is my lantern song

We took this literally as well. Perhaps a bit too literally.

I’ve been 3D printing lampshades lately, and the fun there starts when you print a web-like structure. I used the same approach for the pads - I painted web-like filter structures on the sound in iZotope Iris. Second I added a lot of slow and fast tremolo on the original sound. So I had a „web“ to let the music „shine“ through.

Added a piano melody, so my ears had something to hold on to.

There’s too much movement in the pads, the piano sounds like it has been played by someone with concrete fingers, and the mix isn’t very balanced, but it’s been fun participating in a Disquiet Junto after a long hiatus.

The screened porch/deck off the back of our house has numerous LED paper lanterns. I chose the green one.

It took a bunch of tries, but I finally found what I wanted: something quiet, with a bit of a pulse, and with a subtle background that goes slightly out of rhythm. And I wanted it to be short.

The sample I used was originally composed Ableton Live many years ago, and was loaded into my iPad 1 (still happily running iOS 5.1.1) in the Samplr program. The sample was added 5 times and variations on it were used in different ways to create what you are hearing.

As my first attempt at contributing to a Junto project, I tweaked part of an modular patch that I’ve been toying around with lately to speak more directly to the prompt. I had imagined a solitary lantern in a large, dark space; after staring directly at it for a while, discerning the dancing flame coyly hidden behind the paper, and looking off into the darkness. The warm light still present and wrapping the field immediately around the lantern, but intense afterimages of the fiery ecstasy emerge and fade on the black backdrop.

Hey Juntonians,

When I saw lantern effect as the prompt, the sky lantern scene from ‘Goblin: The Lonely and Great God’ immediately came to mind. Using sky lanterns for prayers seems so fitting, being carried by the wind, in hopes of being heard. This song was performed live on the first three synths, Waldorf Nave, Apesoft mood and Micrologue. While I was hoping to use two keyboards on the ipad each controlling a synth, the hardware wouldn’t cooperate. Instead the Oxygen 25 controlled three, more complimentary sounds simultaneously. I hoped the Nave patch would represent the light from the lantern flame shifting and changing, while the others being the overall glow of the paper. The Nave gave me fits with velocity peaking so while editing out a few sour notes I also lowered the velocity spikes. But it was still a little bright, so a little eq was added and then near the end, a deeper Micrologue synth was added for drama. Recorded and edited in Cubasis, sent to Audioshare and DB for upload. Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

My music videos-

Recorded three Acoustic E-Bow Tracks with Samplr. Tried to be smooth like the light in lanterns here in my holidays in Italy!! Have fun!!

For this week’s Disquiet Junto project I took a single source - a note - and manipulated it with various effects to create a diffused sound, much the way a single source of light is diffused by the shade covering it.
I introduced two additional ‘lights’ and added some subtle movement as though the lanterns were swaying in a gentle breeze.