Make Noise Maths Patch ideas

Hi all,
I see that there isn’t a thread about Make Noise Maths so I think to start one with patch ideas and suggestion about this great module:

here the link to a patch book Maths-v1.11.pdf (1.3 MB)

can we discuss about those patchs, how to utilize in your system, new ideas and so on?

7 Likes

Good addition. I’d like some interesting ways to use it beyond envelopes.

1 Like

I’ll follow this with great interest! I usually have to use ch. 1 and 4 as pretty traditional envelopes due to lack of options. Ch. 2 and 3 is very handy just as simple offsets. Occasionally I’ll use Maths in cycle mode LFO style. When I first got it I experimented a lot more with the example patches from the manual. Great fun!

1 Like

My most used patches include crosspatching CH1 and 4. e.g.
A envelope or lfo (cycle mode) on CH4 opening a VCA or filter etc., Rise/Fall or both of the envelope/lfo modulated by CH1 in cycle mode, while also modulating the Rise/fall/both of CH1.
Making use of EOR and EOF. Always nice unpredictable.
Channel 2 and 3 I used only as attenuverter or mixer for external modules.

3 Likes

it’s funny, some of these cross-patchings I’ve done start out with wild fluctuation and then settle into a predictable oscillation. Perhaps I just need to crosspatch further? Surely if two pendulums create chaos, two slew generators can too, right?

2 Likes

hmm. Yes I guess it’s helpful to involve an external random source in the cross patching :slight_smile:

I like to use most of the function of maths I can like Voltage Controlled Pulse Delay Processor on channel one, voltage mirorr on channel 2/3 and lfo on channel 4 with rise and fall modulated by wogglebug

Maybe ignorant, but I never worked out what this slew-limiter thing is about…?

One way I’ve used it is to put Maths between my sequencer and my oscillator to introduce slide to a sequence. Also to turn gates into A/R envelopes. By setting the rise time fairly short and the fall time longer, I believe you can also run in an audio signal and use it as an envelope follower.

1 Like

u can use it as poor-mans mangrove u-tone by patching a square from an oscillator into trig and adjusting rise until you hit a subdivision.
also a lo-fi filter if you don’t have filters in your rig. audio into signal in. rise fall all CCW, adjusting log/exp and rise/fall …

5 Likes

Only a few hundred hours in on this whole business but maths feels kinda weirdly overhyped. It is an EXCELLENT utility module, but I tend to use it and (in patches I super love online/conversation in this very thread) see it used for its base functions more than its more hyped self-patching possibilities. It’s a lot of fun to go through the illustrated guide and find uses but I’m constantly struck by the realization that if I find myself using any one complex patch on it with regularity I’d just pick up a module for that purpose (most of which are like… 4 hp).

Again: GREAT general utility module but all the fancy Magicks are very “I don’t want waste my maths on that” when I can just use those other utilities.

2 Likes

admittedly i also primarily use it for envelopes, but clocked random voltages into cycle, both, and cross-patching between the two envelopes can generate pretty wild and fun stuff.

also, i printed this and i refer to it often! mostly when i’m sitting down without a particular thing in mind and looking to get started.

i occasionally wonder if i should just get some “normal” envelope generators instead, but i doubt they’d ever get as funky as maths.

2 Likes

Exactly my thought process at the moment!

1 Like

since maths has the only attuenverters in my system, I’ve recently been using channel 1/4 as an envelope but with the attuenuverter all the way to the negative side to close a fully open VCA so that I can eliminate the hard initial pluck from the gate in on the 2hp pluck. Then I let the last note of the 4 note poly ring out while changing pitch CV for a subtle after effect. It’s a very simple use of maths / attenuverters, but I feel like it’s opened up quite a few new ideas in my rack thinking about how to use VCA’s “in reverse” of the typical opening for an envelope. Of course this could also work for CV going through the VCA!

4 Likes

Good tip. As I want to do similar with pluck. Thanks. :grinning:

Have you seen the hashtag #mathspatch on Instagram? I love trying out those that Make Noise are showing, but there are some other goodies in there besides those.

4 Likes

I just generally like MN’s ‘stateless’ philosophy that one can see very well in Maths.
Not a one trick pony like some other modules, but almost endless and open to intuitive experimentation w/o menu diving.
Some very clever decisions done while designing …

5 Likes

It is an EXCELLENT utility module, but I tend to use it and (in patches I super love online/conversation in this very thread) see it used for its base functions more than its more hyped self-patching possibilities.

Maths is like Exhibit A, B, and C for me that I should really spend way more time learning the modules I have - which includes spending the requisite # of hours with them until complex, arcane functionality becomes simple muscle memory - before I think about expanding my rack. It’s certainly a module with seemingly endless exploration possibilities, and that illustrated guide is just scratching the surface.

(Edit for clarity: I’m saying this mostly for myself, not anyone in this thread. I assume most everyone here is a deep sea modular diver)

I found this well-written and helpful, with lots of links to dive into:
Make Noise MATHS for Beginners

3 Likes

Not sure how you describe this as a lo-fi filtering method. Maths doesn’t pass an audio signal out if you patch audio into the signal in…

1 Like

I HAVE gotten it to pass some audio, actually, but not much. In fact this makes sense, since if you “listen” to one of the channels with Cycle engaged, Rise and Fall at minimum and curve to Exponential, you do hear a tone, but a fairly low one.