Make Noise modules: design, usability, theory, philosophy, etc

Re: Telharmonic I really enjoyed it at first and having the noise source was very welcome. As much fun and as unique in the MN world as it was, it felt like an almost-there module to me. It was nice to have the three outputs, it was tough to get them to sound or act differently enough. I felt the d-gate implementation could have been more intuitive. I never tried the secret mode, but from what I know, it’s more of a pleasant surprise than a game-changer.

Also nowadays with modules like Plaits and new Tides that are cheaper and smaller and do just about the same if not more intuitive things with chords it’s hard to suggest over those.

I woke up this morning and it looks like I had fallen asleep while reading this thread on my iPad. Apparently I rolled onto my iPad as the following was in the text input field. Strikes me as very Make Noise!

yngngng g g g g g g g. g g g g t t t tngnnnngngnngngngngngngnnnnnnnnngnnnnnnnnnngngnggngnngngngnnnnnnngngnnnngnnnnnnngngngngnnnnnnnnnnngngnnngnnnnngnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn §%ngnnnn hgh m hg h ggh gh ghg hg g hghg. hgh h gmgg ygg hg hh hgg. h. h g h hy t. tg y h hg gg gg hy h g* hh ggh. hg gt gmgggy ggh gg h gg ggg h tggg h nnh. g h h h h ghm hmg g h* gh h. h gh h hmm hg h gg hg hm. hm g hg nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnpgvv nyhyhhynny nhynhyhnñnh

Serious props for getting the section symbol in there.

“Maximum amount of artist controlled variation, derived from minimum amount of analog data input.”

Even though I have been moving away from using Make Noise stuff in my own system, I still find so much inspiration in the methods of synthesis/patching/composition they promote.

this video was such a great display of the DPO- a module which I think could use some more love from a new dedicated video by them.

Their video tutorials and ideas are the main reason I decided to get a Shared System as my introduction to Eurorack; it’s been very inspiring from the start, and I think more companies should take note (and quite the opposite approach from a company like Mannequins, who’s modules I’m still very much in the dark about, mainly because of their lack of promotion).

Walker’s recent videos on their Youtube and Instagram pages have pushed the Brains / Pressure Points combo to the top of my wishlist. I held off for so long because they wouldn’t work with my original power supply, but now that I have a MN powered skiff, I need them ASAP. Xmas and my birthday are both around the corner, so hopefully I won’t be waiting too much longer…

Pressure Points & Brains is my favorite sequencer. It’s so immediate and straight forward and intuitive. Stores one preset at a time even when powered off!

This is what scares me. I’ve been very impressed with what I’ve seen of the 0-Coast and think that it would add a West Coast influence to my current setup, but I fear that I’ll do that, love it & then end up wanting to go down the modular route with more MN modules.

That’s about it, down the rabbit hole we all must go!

I’ve got tame rabbits I’ve yet to fully appreciate so I’m hesitant to explore the domain of unfettered rabbit-land at this juncture!

I did horrible things with that analogy, I know…

started with an 0-coast, last year. until then, I hadn’t even considered the world of modular synthesis, but I’d been using a ‘no input’ rackmount delay (two of them) for years, for making all sorts of feedback sounds–modular seemed like a logical step. I couldn’t keep my hands off [0-coast] - it sounds massive and alive through my bass amp, and there’s a good variety of sounds you can get out of it. I think it’s a beautiful (looking) synthesizer, too. Make Noise seems like a good company. I only have three MN modules, however