Mannequins Just Friends

some washy stuff from morphagene and a drone bass from DPO

Q: what do you or would you do with two Just Friends?

I have a JF on preorder from Control… Someday it will come! However, because GAS got the better of me, I also have one coming this week (thanks @merlatte!).

If anyone has ideas for or experience with two of these interacting with each other, I’d love to hear about it. I do have Teletype so Just Type is on the table, though I think I’m going to have to build a pull-up board since I’ll be at 4 i2c modules.

Thanks!

I have two JFs. :smiley: One is i2c’d to TT and is mostly used as either a poly voice, or envelope generator. The other is my main modulator. This isn’t to say that they don’t get used in other ways, just that this would be a common use case for me. :slight_smile:

Can just say its what i am going for after now got to know both sides of it. I cant really imagine another modulator/EG now for the voice part. Even without Just Type.

Its the time based „effects“ that i get out of it, that makes me want no other module for the trigger and shape duties.

Really hoping for a deal on a used one. So if anybody knows, hit me up:)

I might be a total idiot but I’ve read the manual and watched every video I could find and still can’t make a whole lot of sense of JF.

And I’m spending as much time as I can getting hands on with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for understanding it better?

Thanks

This goes for pretty much every module, but an oscilloscope will reveal so very much! Worth its weight in gold.

Besides what you do, lots of hands on no. Actually i should more, allready rearranging my case and get lost in diy…instead wiggling.
But the yess moments i always experinced after minimum 1h wiggling with just a minimal case wich wont allow meter long patches in 55hp.

I think focus on JF with Filter Lpg and envelope (only few modules) or for shapes really do FM. I found this out pretty unscientificly but FM between JF in shape-cycle-run and Fm of 3 Sisters leads to very heavy modulations and shapes. I couldnt really belive it and i think the manual will be worthwhile to read through the years again and again with each time some of the found uhm… „reactions“ will hopefully be reflected by the manual. I personally can learn it better by hands and ears and have just started.
The manual makes a lot of sense but its like too much information to remember in a creative moment if taken as a whole. In little bites maybe (note to self)

I do have frustrations with JF aswell and it always takes some time to find sweet spots but when found it is so responsive and always musical allowing for very intuitive control. Its not a dial this or that patch up thought out in advance for me yet…always have to work my way there.

I can scrounge one in Ableton, I suppose. No room in the rack for a modular one, until O move into a larger rig!

has anyone else noticed that using envelopes from JF brings the volume way way down on your oscillators? last night i was patching JF envelopes into optomix, and even with everything turned all the way up the volume was very low. envelopes from maths yielded more normal results, so i’m thinking it was something with JF.

additional note: i think i was in shape/transient mode w/run engaged, controlled via teletype

same case here, the first one is jut typed or free oscillator and the second one as modulator/EG

BTW @Justmat love your work on IG :metal:

envelopes from Just Friends are typically 0–8V, but Maths puts out 0–10V out of its unity output. I think Make Noise stuff may expect to work with that full 10V range?

just to make sure i’m understanding - this means that the loudest part of the JF envelope will only be 80% as loud as the loudest part of the maths envelope?

what solution would you recommend for bringing the volume up? maybe just boosting it in ableton?

Frankly I don’t know what kind of response curve to expect on Optomix’s end, but yeah, it would be reasonable to expect you’d get a multiplication by 0.8 at the peak of the envelope, rather than 1.0. Note that perceptually it will probably sound even quieter than 80% loudness because perception of loudness is significantly nonlinear.

Boosting in Ableton might be best.

Yes, I find that the JF’s envelopes aren’t as high in voltages as others in my system, but also that Maths provides consistently the highest voltages I have.

Also - and I’m no expert - perhaps the Optomix might exaggerate this by any non-linear response of the vactrol?*

*this sounds worryingly like I might know what I’m talking about - don’t be fooled. But my vactrol stuff does seem to behave a bit like this, in my mind at least.

Initially, I was thinking a dumber version of what alanza was saying (8V vs 10V), but I got a little bored just now and tried getting a Maths and a JF envelope as close as possible in shape by ear with the same audio source, same levels on my LPG/VCA (a QMMG to match the vactrolity of your Optomix and a Tangle Quartet for a control), same triggers (Ansible), etc. Maths seemed a tiny bit louder, but really not by much and the level lights on my mixer were both peaking at the same level (it’s not a nice mixer so grain of salt). Maybe it was the envelope shape on Just Friends if the volume was drastically different?

“Vactrolity” is a cool word!

Scale the envelope output 2v using an offset/attenuator or cv mixer

most such modules do not have gain above unity :confused:

Here’s some offset modules to consider - scale up to 10v - WMD/SSF SPO, Circuit Abbey Invy, Busy Circuit’s O/A x 2, ADDAC203 CV Mapping, Synovatron CV Tools, Doepfer A-183-2,