Mannequins RIP, RIP?

Curious about this, when you say add dc what would this mean, like add a dc offset from another module and that can push the transformers causing overdriving at higher, audible frequencies?

Yes, that’s my understanding of how it’ll work. Guess I’ll find out - there’s not a whole lot of examples of it, but there’s audio earlier in the thread from @ng_

I’m not sure how/if that could also work with LFOs though, but perhaps that could be interesting too?

Thanks I’ll pop up towards the top of the thread I think I skimmed through quite a while ago

I fought the GAS, and won!

I would take this as a victory but it’s mostly so I know I’ll be able to buy a norns in Sept.

UPS gave me a scare leaving this on my doorstep despite having requested to have it held at the store by my house but the synth gods were looking out :pray: It is beautiful, thanks @Galapagoose and @izzy!

All sold out according to the site.

This photo belies just how heavy the CineMags are… I think Rip doubled the weight of my case! :laughing:

Thanks @Galapagoose and @izzy!

damn missed out. hope to see another batch made

I have received my RIP! It is a beautiful object. However, I have questions.

1. Is the expected effect on the sound very very subtle? I just may not have golden ears, but after normalizing the trim and volume on the channels going into my mixer, and moving back and forth between a euro signal direct into my mixer and one going through RIP, I don’t hear any difference.
  2. Are TRS cables critical? I plan on getting TRS 1/4" cables, but since I don’t have any on hand, I’m using TR.
  3. Could anyone explain the use of DC with the signals here? My reading of it was, take an audio signal, and apply offset voltage to it. I am accomplishing this by running the audio into the 3rd channel of a Shades, and then adding offset from the other two channels (all set unipolar/non-inverting). Viewing this on a scope, with channel 3 fully open, I see my bipolar audio signal, as I would expect; and then, opening channels 1 and 2, I see the audio signal ‘moving up’ to be centered around whatever voltage I add to the audio signal, rather than being centered around 0V. I don’t hear any difference in sound until I get up to about 8 or 9V offset, at which point I hear a thinning out of the sound. It is very possible I am doing it wrong, however.
  4. Does the type of sound source matter, in terms of hearing a discernible difference? I’ve tried square waves, saws, sines, noise-based sounds, and both drones and shaped sounds.
  5. I find that turning on Lift (or at least, with the Lift switch in the up position), hum is added. Is this expected? What would be the use case for Lift?

Some of the investigation I am running through a Mordax Data, so that’s part of the signal chain sometimes and may be affecting things. However, I don’t hear a difference when taking the Mordax out of play.

Any advice or pointers appreciated! Thanks!

Did anyone else get mail last week saying it would be sent this week? I have yet to receive confirmation that it indeed shipped this week.

There won’t usually be a big noticeable difference running a clean signal direct into your mixer vs with RIP other than level. TRS is only needed if you want to ensure less noise when using a longer cable run. Lift is there if you are getting hum in a situation -flipping it may make it go away. Think of RIP as a simple DI box. Level matching, noise, and ground loops can be frustrating things to deal with when you play live.

Regarding the distortion, when I first got mine last week, I ran a sine wave through channel 1 on my triatt in a similar way and added offset using channel 2 and 3. The 3rd out/sum went to RIP. I saw harmonics added using RIP into my motu interface via the FFT analysis software it came with. I believe (but haven’t tried this) you can run a signal through a and out of b back into your mordax to see this. You’ll want to monitor the signal post RIP however you do it.

The signal does thin out as the offset gets higher. There is a sweet spot right before the volume drops out where the signal is nicely overdriven.

I’m very happy I got one and planning on playing a show without my mixer at some point, using RIP to handle levels out of my system.

I’m not unhappy, and I didn’t necessarily expect it to coat all my sounds in golden truffle oil :slight_smile: Just want to make sure I’m not doing anything wrong in terms of using it.

That’s good to know re: where the overdrive happens. I think I was expecting something a little more overt, and also linear. I was surprised it took 8 or 9V to get an effect, so it’s good to know it’s normal.

I’ll play around with scoping the signals post-RIP (that’s obvious but I hadn’t done that) and also will give a listen with good headphones. My explorations thus far were 8:30 am, let’s-not-bother-the-neighors-too-much sounds.

Very much appreciate hearing about your experiences, thank you.

No prob, also I didn’t mean to insinuate that you were unhappy, just sharing that I was happy. :slight_smile:

Just clarifying, because online is a thing. I’m ok, you’re ok, we’re ok.

I love overexplaining and also going into too much detail when trying to convey information to other people. Because, sometimes things are misunderstood. So I keep talking and it gets more and more awkward…

No word on my order either. A bit disappointed for sure given the ‘ships Wednesday’ message shifting to shipping mid next week shifting to…???

Thankfully there’s no real hurry on my end.

For those of you who received a RIP from this newest batch, did you get a shipment notification/tracking number or did it just appear? Anyone have any info on the latest on shipping estimates?

FWIW, I haven’t heard anything either.

I received a tracking notice the day I ordered it or the day after. I was fairly early in the first batch this round though.

I got a tracking notice when it shipped. Hopefully yours is on it’s way soon.

(I think “we ship Wednesday” means “we do our shipping, as opposed to soldering, coding, etc, on Wednesdays”)