Mannequins Three Sisters

I haven’t tried this, will be very interested to see what you find!

I’ve been meaning to record a clip to illustrate, hopefully I’ll get a chance this week.

Huh, I have not noticed a loss of low frequencies from the low output except in formant(bandpass) mode as should be the case.

@beforeitwascool @Rollingpeople @delmerdarion

I did 3 recordings of filter sweeps using Three Sisters so you can compare.

All use source fed into sisters ALL in, LOW out. Span is at about 9/10 o’clock, quality at 12, crossover mode. LOW out of Sisters was patched to Rip, then output to Motu 828 interface.

1st is mangrove square out:

2nd is mangrove formant out:

3rd is quantum rainbow pink noise which seemed to work best for this demo since it is pretty even.

They all seemed normal to me, how do yours compare?

Thanks for this - I will compare with mine this evening!

On second listening the low output is not that dissimilar to your recordings, the effect is actually much more pronounced on the high output. Here is the square out from Ts-L into 3S all, out high. Quality at 12, span just past CCW.

You can hear that about a third of the way through the sweep it starts to filter out some of the high frequencies, before they then come back in a couple of seconds later. The same effect has definitely happened on the low output before where at a similar point some of the low frequencies are cut for a short period of time. Saying that, I can’t seem to replicate it as obviously as in the high output right now.

I’m probably over analysing this way too much, but it would be nice to know what is going on!

Thank you very much! I then discovered that it wasn’t 3S fault for the low end I was loosing, but I was simply mis-using the barrel knob on mangrove, which I was just starting to use!
Thanks for the help!

No prob. Yeah, Mangrove barrel and formant give you a lot of timbral options, some of which thin out the sound in a creative way.

Another thing, 3Sis seems to be slightly resonant still with quality at noon, so there is some emphasis of overtones as you sweep past them.

Got my 3S last week and am very happy so far.
Still there is one odd glitch in the sound that I’d love to learn wether it’s only my device or common behaviour.

Fairly easy to patch if someone wants to verify:

crossover mode -> quality fully CW (self-oscillation) -> Span anywhere center’ish -> ALL output direct to speaker

what happens: a crackling sounds, similar to digital clipping. Only happens on the ALL outputs.

Is this expected? Can anyone confirm?!

IMG_1539|375x500

When monitoring ALL there’s a kind of phasing that might sound like distortion to you but it fades in and out right? If so that is my normal in that mode and is part of the character of what is achievable.

that sounds about right… the quality is known (designed?) to distort when turned up… I prefer to back it down a bit to make the output cleaner. Also, be aware that the Low output is the one that most closely tracks 1v/8…

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah it has that phasing quality. Depending on how I play the 3S, in the beginning it still felt more like a glitch (hard clip, clicks) rather then distortion I usually here from overdriven filters.

Guess I have to learn to tune the quality setting a bit.

If your input signals are relatively hot their sum can exceed the power supply voltages and hard clip at the output stage if I recall correctly. You may want to dial back your inputs or just use a mixer.

Just for context my observation happened with no input patched and the crackle/distortion happened purely from self oscillation.

All output distord easily. Did you tried to mix the other outputs ?
Sounds can be cleaner :slight_smile:
But I love the All one :smile:

Experimented more with this. Instead of using the “all” ouput I’m going now from “high”, “low”, “centre” onto a triatt to do the mixing + attenuation. This allows me to dial this in more nicely.

So my preliminary learning would be to only go for “all” output if I’m looking for some clipping and that my triatt is now occpuied for the time being. I really can see the attraction of the coldmac now :wink:

Thanks all!

Last night i used 3 sis in a patch that you could think of as a 3 band eq with adjustable resonance. 3 sis mode, span and quality settings will all have an effect on the patch output. (Of course)

Signal in to the ALL input, signal also in to a summing mixer (coldmac works)

Signal from HIGH, MID, and LOW into attenuverters.

Attenuverted signals to 3 other inputs on cold mac.

Attenuation/inversion will add or subtract the bands from the original signal.

I usually just mix the 3 channels together, so thus was an interesting change!

What are you using for attenuverters?

Hi Ed,
I was using maths channels for attenuation. Nice bonus of mixing in coldmac is the 2x gain on the OR and SLOPE inputs.

Guess i could have used all four channels of maths with the slew rates cranked all the way to their fastest to mix the 4 signals… I was tuning droning tones into cycling channels 1 & 4 that were close to several notes in my sequence so that they would beat against one another and boost or diminish certain tones. Made some bits very ringmod-y.

Sounds great! I have two Maths for whatever reason, so finding 3 attenuverters is doable…
Thanks!