Mannequins W/2 Beta Testing

could be modified, or another option added, to operate so that while play & record are engaged (with no loop points yet set), a trigger would 1) tap loop once to set the start point, another trigger would 2) tap loop again to set the end point AND 2b) disable the record head.

exactly how i had imagined this to work. would be nice.

Strange, the backwards recording behavior noisyness seems to be there only if I’ve used Cold Mac to set the record level in THAT.

1 Like

b6 updated in the top post.

Changes

• FIX record & erase levels would not reset after removing CV assigned to record level
  • NEW loop CV now allow setting of loop start and end points
  • NEW when closing a loop (with press or CV), recording is disabled

The loop CV configuration was inspired by a DM conversation with @efluon whereby the loop button acts to ‘arm’ CV looping. The motivation here is that a typical clocked-looping setup will be a forever running clock. If the first trigger on the jack started looping, it would require jamming the cable in right before wanting to start a loop. This way, you actively say when you’re ready to start recording, but the timing of the actual loop points are CV based.

• When there is no loop set, the triggers are ignored.
  • Press loop to arm recording, it will blink like normal
  • Now the first CV trigger will set the start of the loop (both yellow & white lights will pulse)
  • The next trigger (or panel press) will set the loop end, and begin looping.
  • Subsequent triggers will reset to the start of the loop (like the current behaviour)

If there’s already a loop playing (set by hand), the CV acts exactly as previously.

//

@maaark Let me know if this fixes the reverse issue. I think it might as it related to the record-level setting, but let me know if not.

I’m throwing another a few changes in for W/Syn, so expect another update shortly.

26 Likes

you are absolutely killing it! :partying_face: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

really excited about this change

1 Like

Is there a (re)calibration procedure for W/? I have been playing with W/Syn on two W/s, both with 2.0beta6. On one W/, both THIS and THAT do not track 1v/8 - it’s close but it’s definitely off. One my other W/, THAT tracks 1v/8 perfectly (at least to my ear) and THIS might track a tiny bit off - I would need to test with a tuner and/or a voltmeter.

I searched around but did not see anything indicating calibration. I would imagine that it might have been a little less of a concern until W/Syn and W/Del.

Thanks!

There is no calibration mechanism currently, it’s just ideal values, hoping for the best (which in general seems to be pretty good for most people). I have added it to the list of potential future additions.

Sad :slight_smile: I can use that W/ for looping and untuned delay then, or else I assume W/Syn with ii will work fine - I’ll test that.

Thank you!

Edit: confirmed that using ii.wsyn.play_note() “tracks” fine (which I’d expect of software, I guess!), so my issue is probably just a calibration one.

This is incredible! I was missing the “press up to add a cue / stop recording / start looping” functionality from v1. So glad to hear it’s back. It’s really exciting to watch this grow and develop in real time. Thanks for the hard work.

Top post updated with beta7

This is all about W/Syn. Took some comments on-board, and ported the new Just Friends compressor, replacing the tanh saturation. Makes those glassy FM tones much more accessible, especially when layering notes. The synth engine is highly interactive between 1) voice count, 2) LPG time, 3) note velocity, 4) FM envelope amount.

Changes

• FIX w/syn note-allocator would crash with note-releases (thanks @csboling for the repro script)
  • CHANGE w/syn pitch is 1 octave lower when controlled by CV (Positive-only sequencers are more useful)
  • NEW w/syn compressor on output
40 Likes

Woah! This sounds rad! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Nice work. Really looking forward to going to the studio next week!

How did I never hear the beautiful haunting sounds that W/ makes when updating before? Excited to try all the new fixes and features that you rolled out this week!

I started using the new firmware today. Great job. Only used W/Tape until now. Thanks a lot. I have two W/ and it was a little bit difficult to make them work with the old firmware.

About the replacement cards. How do you know if a card is working OK or not? Are there known size limits?

Thanks again

1 Like

Potential feature W/Syn feature request (that might already be backlogged):

It would be helpful to be able to tune the default pitch, if possible, since some sequencers don’t send negative voltage. I realize the UI for this might suck a lot :slight_smile: maybe more trouble than it’s worth. But, if not!

Firstly! W/ is way less sensitive to SD cards now. The firmware has been optimized to be much less demanding of the card, so many people who had a ‘failed’ card, can likely now use that ‘bad’ card.

Re: which card to get? Our testing has always been qualitative. Way back in 2017 I did a lot of benchmarking but I have not revisited. The short version is, newer ~high speed~ cards sacrifice small block size access, and don’t like rapid switching between read/write ← W/ does this constantly, buffering tape, then writing changes every 150ms or so.

If your module is giving the ‘three flashing lights’ error on startup, try re-seating the card. If that doesn’t work, you likely need a new card. Get the smallest capacity you can find even if it’s “slow” as it will likely respond better in W/.

Totally understand how this would be helpful, but I’m not confident I can cram it into the interface without making everything else worse. For now at least, you can use a DC mixer – Just add an offset to your v8 sequencer signal. That’ll allow your positive-only sequencer to be bipolar.

Eg. With Cold Mac, you can attach the sequencer to OFFSET, patch LEFT output to W/Syn, then adjust the transposition with SURVEY.

2 Likes

Thanks! This is how I’ve been working with it. And I completely understand the UI issue…I’m not sure I have a suggestion for how it might look TBH. Maybe discrete octave shifts just to help things get in range, but that might not be enough for people.

Maybe something equivalent to ii.jf.transpose() might be helpful, so that there was at least a way to get W/Syn in a different range? This might help writing scripts for it anyway. Regardless, just a suggestion and almost certainly a low priority thing.

Thanks!

2 Likes

No other feedback than to remark on how well w/syn sounds mixed with mangrove. Thank you!

3 Likes

Could you clarify the way loop works please:

I understood that this meant that hitting the loop button would set the start point and enable recording:

*loop: set the start point of a new loop → capturing

but that doesn’t seem to be the case . . .

And here:

Loop is capturing

• loop: set the end point of the loop (and disable recording) → playing
  • loop(hold): cancel the start point → empty

I understood that hitting loop a second time would disable recording, set the end point and start the loop playing, which doesn’t seem to work either.

Am I misunderstanding this ? And if so what is the simplest way to record a loop ?

Thanks !

The first press only sets the start point (does not enable recording). capturing in this context is a little misleading - i will reword it. You’ll need to enable recording just before you set the start point.

I just tested this here and what you wrote is exactly what happened. Which part isn’t working for you?