Mannequins W/ (with)

Hyped! Can’t wait to explore my W/ beyond it’s current limits.

1 Like

Tiny update:
New firmware beta will be tomorrow. In fixing many bugs, many others were uncovered! Presently overhauling the varispeed playback implementation and discovered some lower-level bugs that need to be ironed out to avoid some nasty things under the hood.
Thanks for your patience, and looking forward to receiving some feedback on the update. Hoping to get the official 1.1 posted within a week.

51 Likes

Excited for the update! Thanks for the update, really enjoying this module!!!

Thank you for putting in the hours! Super excited to see W/ at full potential.

1 Like

20chars of hope that the beta will be shared today.:pray:

4 Likes

Just letting people know the firmware beta info is shared over here.

I’m in no way an authority but would say it’s beta, use at your own risk, caveat installator. But I’ll be installing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Although I’ve read the documentation at whimsicalraps, I am still not 100% clear if W/ can be used for red-green-color-blind people like myself. As it is practically impossible for me to distinguish multicolor (orange/green/yellow/red) LED states, I wonder if W/ users can be so kind tell me to what extent W/ makes use of such different LED colors? Thanks much in advance!

1 Like

I’m red green colorblind and have had no issues so far.

1 Like

Thanks! As there are different kinds of red-green-blindnesses I should be more precise with my question: Does /W has one or more LEDs that use different colors (in the orange/green/yellow/red spectrum) to indicate different states?

I believe only the led above record uses different colours(red./orange). Other than that it’s red/white(someone correct me if I’m wrong).

Of the top of my head, I think all the yellow lights are to the left and all the white lights are to the right, so it should be ok. The reason I can’t be clearer is because i think about the lights in terms of their location, not their colour. That may be saying something. Would love someone to confirm this though

2 Likes

All the lights are single colour. Yellow to the left and white to the right. Their colouration is purely aesthetic, and helps with communication in the user manual / mental recognition of different states.

3 Likes

Thank you, that’s great!

Working much more reliably here, thanks for the great update!

1 Like

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this – I was trying to get a delay-like thing going today, and tried my best to follow what’s in the manual by using an offset to control overdub/overwrite. Everything seems to be fine, set a cue point, loop back to it after a little while, but every time I set a loop up I get a tiny little snippet of recorded sound right at the last fraction of a second of the loop, and then nothing else. It’s happened to me a few times, but I can’t figure out whether I’m doing something wrong or whether this is a bug. Tried to search in this topic but couldn’t seem to find anything, so apologies if this has been spoken about already. I’m also running the newest beta firmware.

Sounds like a bug if it’s working properly some of the time. We’re working on it.

2 Likes

wow the beta really brought my w/ to life! soo much fun and so musical. i was getting sad thinking that i just couldn’t use it correctly…

still running into some problems with the click noises that happen when the loop resets. some loops are worse than others but it is definitely not a sound that i’m producing when i record.

i am also hearing some crackly clipping while rewinding the tape in nav mode and listening back to the recorded material. not sure if these problems can be solved by adjusting things on my end of if they are in the firmware.

2 Likes

I think @Galapagoose mentioned the clicks being addressed in the next firmware release (following the one currently in beta). I agree though, experimenting with This and That and an offset generator really opens this thing up, so much fun.

1 Like

Wow, setting up a really thick sound-on-sound texture and then slowly turning your offset knob towards -5V for the “worn tape” effect and then silence sounds AWESOME.

And hey, an hour or so of play, including setting a loop while recording and then recording into said loop, and I encountered zero bugs :grinning:

8 Likes

While I have not been “pushing it”, I too have had fantastic luck with this latest beta. I keep meaning to test different functions and try to break things… but it sounds so good that I just get lost.

4 Likes