Mannequins W/ (with)

I experience the same thing regarding the start of the tape. If I set a cue right after the start and loop from there but if I create a loop using the start of the tape and the next cue it skips throughout the loop.

Here are some quick snippet videos from today’s exploration W/ W/. Added some verb other than that all sounds from W/ recordings. Maths Ch.3 is controlling speed and direction.

https://instagram.com/p/BhrwDl5gLEQ/

https://instagram.com/p/Bhrv5j3gee6/

https://instagram.com/p/BhrvqZZgdNi/

Pretty sure my w/ has just died. Was in cue mode - deleted all cue points - returned to nav mode - rewound to start of tape and it wouldn’t play - got cv into ‘that’ to play and reverse for a while but unable to get play button to start it tried switching off and on - since then no lights - apart from the occasional odd flash. Anyone else seen this. Feels dead to me. Pretty gutted at the moment.

Have you tried booting Izzy?

izzy cannot be summoned - play flashes - once play selected then record flashes but no izzy - press record then loop flashes - as though the izzy sequence is running but no sound…ah ok izzy back now…once loop selected - maybe that’s the izzy sequence on boot - never tried before…hopefully i’ll be able to get back to my recording now…will post back

That’s correct. Izzy starts after play, record and loop have been pressed(in that order).

great - but i always get stuck trying to exit izzy:

'nice you got the basics down…while auditioning hold down and release play"…not sure how to achieve this as auditioning requires play to already be held down…usually exiting cue mode would be with ‘l’ but this isn’t working…how do I move to the last step of izzy, oris there a way to exy izzy earlier?

sussed hold ‘down’ and release ‘play’…

[edit] once out of izzy though i am back in what appears to be a broken state can’t play the tape and hence can’t record, etc.

in a funny mode - no orange play light - into cue and back out now nav mode lights as expected when I press play get an odd repeating sound on the tape - not looping - whole tape full of this repeating sound - as I rewind no cue points observed but the sound goes on forever

It’s a repeatable bug. Move to cue mode delete all cues. Move back to live mode, rewind to start of tape. Will no longer play. Wiping the tape fixes it. If you don’t wipe the tape but restore by invoking izzy then your tape gets filled with what appears to be a mangled version of your previous recording. Is there a proper place to record bugs?

bug reporting here: https://github.com/whimsicalraps/wslash/issues
guidelines here: https://www.whimsicalraps.com/pages/a-good-bug-report

(per Mannequins W/ (with))

no - more complex than i thought. having cleaned the tape recorded something and then added a couple of cues and immediate loop with a down up and then exiting loop and rewinding to start using that the orange play light extinguishes and then a small section of my recorded sound repeats in a tight loop - no way out other than wipe again…anyone else experiencing this…won’t be able to try anything for a few days now - away on work

thanks dan once I’ve understood the issue better will report at github

This has definitely happened to me before, I just haven’t been able to reproduce it intentionally.

same. last night it happened after looping a longer section for a half hour, releasing the loop and then attempting to jump to the last cue. this is not reproducible though, which complicates reporting it. :confused:

Here too. I thought i was narrowing it down to NAV mode with CV into THIS and/or THAT. Haven’t reported it because I was unsure. It certainly happened under these circumstances just now. Although the looping stops (the short looping sound continues) the CUE points are observable as they pass but don’t “cue” or loop as they should. Again, I feel like some CV action is causing this but can’t be sure.

Any word on when a new batch will be available? All resellers seem to be sold out.

(Sorry if that’s been mentioned already, I tried searching for obvious keywords but couldn’t find anything)

i saw a used one up on on reverb yesterday i believe. Good luck on the hunt.

Indeed, that seems to be the fastest route. Nabbed it there, thanks!

So I finally sat down with W/ and at first loved the tutorial, then it got stuck and I got lost. After a bit of messing around and confusion it started to make sense. I managed to get it into tape delay mode and WOW! This thing is amazing. Love capturing audio and then changing tape speed for pitched up or down trails. Magic!
But I did try to control playback speed while still in delay mode by hitting play and sending in cv. Got some weird bit crushing sound (which was cool) but then you don’t have control over feedback so it starts to build up too much.
I’d love to know if it’s possible to control double or have speed with cv. Having timed musically related pitching would be insane.

@cosmicsoundexplorer The manual mentions the range in cue mode being one octave up and 6 down. In Nav mode the full playback range is 5V, so double speed would be at full 5V. I just tested the range with a high pitch sample and maths ch 3 as my 5V source and the same range is available in NAV. But dividing 5V into 7 octaves isnt a quick and easy V/oct number…

Yeah I’ve been able to do different pitches in nave mode. But I’m referring to when you are in Love mode and have it set up as a tape delay.
When you have it running as a delay you can manually pitch it up or down by holding play and pushing up or down. What I’d like to do is pitch it up or down by the same ratio as the switch but with cv.
Entering Nav mode while still set up as a delay allows you to co trip the pitch but you seem to loose control over feedback which is set in Live mode. The sound changes too when put into NAV mode.
Really keen to have tape pitch control via cv while still in Live mode.