Mannequins W/ (with)

So I finally sat down with W/ and at first loved the tutorial, then it got stuck and I got lost. After a bit of messing around and confusion it started to make sense. I managed to get it into tape delay mode and WOW! This thing is amazing. Love capturing audio and then changing tape speed for pitched up or down trails. Magic!
But I did try to control playback speed while still in delay mode by hitting play and sending in cv. Got some weird bit crushing sound (which was cool) but then you don’t have control over feedback so it starts to build up too much.
I’d love to know if it’s possible to control double or have speed with cv. Having timed musically related pitching would be insane.

@cosmicspaceexplorer The manual mentions the range in cue mode being one octave up and 6 down. In Nav mode the full playback range is 5V, so double speed would be at full 5V. I just tested the range with a high pitch sample and maths ch 3 as my 5V source and the same range is available in NAV. But dividing 5V into 7 octaves isnt a quick and easy V/oct number…

Yeah I’ve been able to do different pitches in nave mode. But I’m referring to when you are in Love mode and have it set up as a tape delay.
When you have it running as a delay you can manually pitch it up or down by holding play and pushing up or down. What I’d like to do is pitch it up or down by the same ratio as the switch but with cv.
Entering Nav mode while still set up as a delay allows you to co trip the pitch but you seem to loose control over feedback which is set in Live mode. The sound changes too when put into NAV mode.
Really keen to have tape pitch control via cv while still in Live mode.

I think this is implemented with teletype (not positive though). I’m keen on the same idea but also I like the playability of the way it’s set up. Keeps me hands on on the instrument

I think that I found a bug (or perhaps it´s me being stupid once again)
I have w/ in NAV mode. Loop is on.
I use maths chan 3 into THAT to play the tape.
I have a random cv from Marbles into THIS to select new loops.
Everything works fine as long as I keep THAT cv positive = playing fwd.
When I send a negative cv to THAT something weird happens to looping.
The lights above LOOP change to only white.
If I click LOOP the white light turns off, cant get both lights to go on.
Sometimes W/ gets stuck in a loop that I cant get out of but most of the time I cant get loop to work at all.
I have to reboot the module in order to get it back to normal.
I have reproduces this several times.
Is this a W/ bug?

Its been mentioned by multiple people in this thread, but without a reproduction method a proper bug report cant be created :frowning: This is the only bug that my w/ has had, and switching to a new tape reduced the frequency of occurences but it still happens from time to time. Hoping to see this fixed in the first update.

Ok I see, sorry should have checked thread before.
What is required for a reproduction method?
I have reproduced it several times. But I have used the same tape every time I reproduced it. Not sure if that matters.

Ii seems to work ok as long as the tape is played backwards slowly (0 to -0,3V, when it reach -0,5V it happens if I remember correctly.) But perhaps it also has to do with distance between the cuepoints?

I haven’t pinned it down but was getting a similar bug. I was also using maths ch.3 and sending neg volts to that. I didn’t have anything in to THIS IIRC: But i was jumping cue points manually and getting some odd behavior as well. When i get back from vacation i will spend some proper time trying to reproduce and reporting any bugs. Still love this module!!

This is exactly my problem. (I think I tried to describe it above). I’m sure its a bug that will hopefully be fixed with an update. I’m really keen on this use working. Especially flicking between forwards and backwards on different loops.

I’ve reported this to Whimsical. They told me this: «The issue is occurring due to the fact that when you rewind and redirect to a cue point via THIS CV, you immediately rewind into that cue point and trigger a redirect to that exact location, again and again and again. This will be addressed in the next firmware!»

So at the time being, I would recommend to just use positive voltage into THAT, when you’re using THIS input to select cue points. Also! Beware that if you jump past the last cue point on the tape when you plug in a cable with a large positive voltage, the looping will disengage. And since there isn’t another cue for the w/ to loop to, you won’t be able to engange loop again… So be sure to have this in mind when you use random voltages. If you haven’t filled your tape, there might be a «dead», loopless spot at the end of the tape…

Thanks a lot for this insight. I had suspected something like this. It’s a bit easier to avoid once you understand. I plan on just using a handful of loops in this mode so it seems attenuation is key. It’s easy to get lost in the “endless” though, if you accidentally end up there

@T.Jervell, thanks for this info.
I look forward to the next firmware.
It is a great module.
:slight_smile:

Yes it’s VERY easy to stumble into «un-cued» territory, so attenuating your random sounds like a good plan👍🏻

Edit_2: Nope. This W/ is so messed up. I hope the new firmware cures whats ailing it!

Edit: Hopefully it was a power issue. I moved the W/ to a new spot with a different ribbon. Took the SD card out/in, erased the tape, did a short session with it and it worked well. Fingers crossed it keeps on keeping on!

My W/ is working worse and worse after having it a couple weeks.

It won’t record a lot of the time. Then I erase the tape with down/record and it seems to work normally for a brief amount of time before acting screwy again. When loading a new tape it has completely shut down. I can’t seem to delete cue points at all as well.

I think my firmware is all messed about. It would be cool if the current firmware was available for reflashing perhaps.

This is a mess, but here’s some (very (sloppy)) w/ :alien:

I might be an idiot, but how have people mounted W/ in their isms? The module is just the right depth to fit, but the black plastic cap of the power cable lifts it up by a few millimeters too much :frowning:

@guillaume I want to say the power cord on mine wasn’t problematic w/ isms depth, but if it was I probably just swapped the cable for one that had a slimmer end cap.

It may requires you to do some extra screwing/unscrewing, but perhaps check some of your other devices to see if you have any others which use the 5x2 and have a slimmer cap. I’ve definitely needed to rearrange a few times because I had used cables w/ thicker caps on deeper modules (batumi and maybe the pico dsp wouldn’t fit w/ the caps they came with but worked fine after I traded cables), but it does seem a little weird that the one supplied by mannequins wouldn’t fit in isms.

thanks! ended up removing the cap of the cable altogether and it fit snugly that way.

Got to playing with W/ last night and this is what came out. The W/ loop also modulates a Double Helix, and also plays through Rings’ input. Lots of VST effects added.