Mannequins W/ (with)

you can approximated the SOS of the el cap yeah, but it’s not a strict tape-emulation in terms of character. slap-back no, not really, sounds much more like digital buffer at shorter loop lengths. in general it’s working better for long delays with the current firmware

2 Likes

Can the mangling of we be compared to Phonogene (more hifi ofc) or not at all?
I cant say for certain even after i listened to almost every clip.
Does W/ even function well without a bipolar cv source in rack?

Depends on what kind of mangling you’re after, probably. Certainly Phonogene and Morphagene offer you more knobs and likely more parameters, although I am not the one to ask for an A/B comparison.

W/ is plenty interesting just using what’s available from the front panel, but voltage sources add a lot, as one might expect, especially in the mangling direction.

Theorywiggling always goes better when you do the work to compare the manuals imo :wink:

4 Likes

Well you can compare apples to oranges… So yes, both can play back recorded material, sound on sound etc. W/ has a much longer buffer, Phono/Morphogene works better for small grains…

Define “well”? Sure it works without any CV. You lose functionality though. As @alanza suggests, reading the manual, watching the videos should help you ask more meaningful questions.

1 Like

i know this has been documented to death, but i think it’s worth mentioning that it’s definitely still under construction. when it works it’s capable of all kinds of fun stuff, but if i were considering w/ i’d also be considering waiting until it’s more stable.

Jeap no rush. But trying to decide if at all. Probably, given my mere 56hp
Alternatives are too big and i like what i hear so far.

Somebody knows audio/video examples of W/ used with line or acoustic instruments?

not sure if this is the right place:
to move back the cue’s points, the double switching is somehow stressful, to close/fast. Could it make sense to increase the timing a bit ?

could you explain more what you mean?

moving between cue points with the up/down joystick + LOOP: moving back to the beginning of the loop is one time, moving to the previous cue point needs a double “click”
I have problems that my W/ recognize it as a double “click”

still confusing… L+[down][down] in PLAY mode should move two cue’s backward. However, I end up often just move twice back to the same cue.

CTRL says new W/ units are expected in August…

I can’t wait!

In play mode L=Down Goes back the the last cue point, so the first press restarts that loop section, if you press it again very quickly, it goes back again to the cue point before that. If L+ down down, went back 2 cues, you couldn’t restart the loop section, right?

Personally i really like being able to ‘restart’ the loop with one L+down action, for me that ends up being the most musical way to play the slices by hand.

thanks, I think it was somehow not always recognize the double down…so it was difficult to move one loop back. With beta 12 it works fine.

1 Like

Awesome. One thing I’m curious about, which perhaps @Galapagoose can clarify…

I have a w/ from the initial run, and now I want a second. If I want to have them connected via slashes, would I be able to send them both in to get outfitted, or would it be best to sell my current w/ and order 2 direct with slashes when they’re back in stock?

1 Like

maybe you’re aware of all this, but slashes is just a bus board that slides on to the power and i2c headers, in a way sort of similar to the teletype i2c backpack if you’re familiar with that

it looks like a fairly cheap and simple DIY project if you’re into that as well, instructions and info here: https://www.whimsicalraps.com/pages/slashes

what i’m hoping for as the firmware develops is independent i2c control of each w/ when using slashes, but i’m super appreciative of the stabilization on the betas right now, so one step at a time :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Strictly speaking you don’t need Slashes with multiple W/ units. They can be connected with i2c cables to whatever you’re using to communicate with your W/ units, presumably Teletype? Though you need the pull-up once there’s about 4 modules in your network.

At any rate, as @ellips_s says, it’s just a board, not a modification to your W/ units. You wouldn’t have to send your current unit in.

AFAIK WR doesn’t sell them independently of sets of multiple W/ bought directly. W/ to W/ communication isn’t implemented yet, so you’d only want/need Slashes at this stage as a convenience to power multiple W/ and communicate with Teletype.

It does look nice for avoiding a rats’ nest of cables. If you’re not up for DIYing the board I’ll bet you could someone here on Lines who would be willing to work with you. The PCBs need to be bought in sets of 3 which means people are likely to have spares. If you paid for the boards and components for 3 for example I would happily build you one and ship it to you.

1 Like

An extremely kind offer @xenus_dad . I’d definitely be interested — feel free to pm me with a quote!

I was gonna suggest we go in on a pair together since I’m in the same boat as you… but that would only net us one slashes board :joy:

2 Likes

No, they’re ordered in sets of 3 so each of you would get one and I would get one. I was going to suggest to @Olivier that he find a coconspirator. Then the parts cost is split and my contribution is building and shipping.

I’ll PM you both.

1 Like