Mannequins W/ (with)

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: ~ Help W/ ~

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: ~ Help W/ ~

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: ~ Help W/ ~

New W/ owners! If you get stuck, we’ve got a thread of potentially helpful suggestions over at ~ Help W/ ~!

13 Likes

Alanza,

Many thanks for the W/Help thread!

I am hopeful that I will be able to figure it out! It’s helpful to have that info in its own zone…

1 Like

@Galapagoose

THIS

• Input
    Send a trigger to punch-in and punch-out recording. Each trigger toggles the state of recording.

Might it be possible to modify this behaviour for gates like a momentary switch? e.g. punch-in on high, punch-out on low?

The Intellijel Planar can output gates based on joystick movement and it would be neat to punch in gestures as they modulate my voices.

Another idea where this might be useful is if I were to be using a keyboard that sends gates on key presses, I could punch in/out on each keypress.

I am already using the physical record button and /W Type for a latching punch-in, punch-out and would appreciate an alternative way to record.

Thank you for listening.

Edit:

I think I’m beginning to understand the cross patching capabilities by leaving it as trigger.

Expecting gate from the following would be difficult:

SIGNAL

THAT

• Output

Sends a trigger whenever the play head hits a > cue point.

I think using an end of cycle pulse from another module to punch in and out might be worth keeping the cross patching and chaining capabilities of how it’s currently implemented.

Edit 2:

As an addendum to enable the requested behaviour (Converting gate to rise, fall trigs) use MI Stages (or any function generator):
4 Segments (MI Stages):

1. red, pot full ccw, gate in
  2. red, pot full ccw, trig 1 out
  3. red (loop), pot full ccw, gate in
  4. red, pot full ccw, trig 2 out
    OR(trig1, trig2) -> W/ THIS
2 Likes

Seriously trying to wrap my head around this manual and the functions etc. Can’t wait to get my hands on this one and give it a go!

Just a question to the owners of 2 W/'s.

How are you using them?
What exactly happens when you connect two with slashes?

Im just gearing up for my second W/ to arrive :star_struck:

Nothing happens yet when you connect them, except now they share a power and I2C connection. I haven’t really set out to explore two W/s yet, but beyond stereo, I’m excited about “inner / outer” loop setups, using one as a sampler / recorder and the other as a looper, etc.

8 Likes

im thinking polyearthsea would work well with 2. I have a second w/ pending also. I think recording and duplication of the exact same loop would be interesting for triple phasing - orginal seq + 2 w/ + individual +/- speed up/down on the w/‘s

7 Likes

I just use them as a stereo w/ and mult all the cv to both for synced stops and starts and then have out of phase lfo’s to THAT subtly for tapes that drift off of each other and back

10 Likes

Just got a w/ and cold mac yesterday. my brain is broken now.

15 Likes

All these ideas sound amazing!
Can’t wait to try them out in stereo.
I was also hoping when two W/ were linked by slashes you could set up the THIS and THAT could be setup in any configuration. Like clock in, feedback, cv in/out. I think that would be amazing. Looking forward to the future updates.

6 Likes

as in both modules responding to each CV in? that would be AWESOME, but no (not yet??)

3 Likes

Yeah so two W/'s connected by slashes would give stereo/dual mono, in/out and have 4 cv inputs. so many combos my mind is spinning :rofl: really hope something like that happens.

Looking forward to trying this with Teletype w/ grid control > teletype: grid # code exchange

If you send one message from Teletype will it update both w/'s together or only one?

5 Likes

If you send a TT message to slashes-connected w/s, both will respond to it simultaneously.

4 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense and that’s what I want.
It’s a shame you can’t set one w/ up manually to record at a different speed to the other w/. Say 1 Record at half speed and one at double speed, then use 1 play command to shift both differently at the same time via Teletype. I wonder if that’s doable.

2 Likes

Just got my new W/(my first one got messed up somehow and only recorded distortion). Now it was working ok, until I today. Now it doesn’t record any audio onto the tape. I think my SD is messed up because clearing a tape isn’t working either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Obvious list of things.

Did you try popping the sd card out and back in?
Can you hear audio when in and out are plugged in?
Press play first. Then push record.
Rewind the tape after recording?