Mannequins W/ (with)

Wondering if we can expect any additions to W Type now that the firmware seems very much more stable? If nothing else, I’d love to be able to add cue points from TT.

6 Likes

W/ ing again… after i gave away the first by being overhelmed by the complexity of it (and JF) i was on a journy to find anything that would give me similar tape style loop possibilities…ther simply is none. El Capistan and Count to 5 are the only things kinda close. Ct5 unavailable and limited to 8 sec. Under these observations W/ is actually a milestone and this time i know what awaits me.

I really could not get single cue erases work earlier and no idea how to use it as delay. Hopefully allrigth to ask here instead help thread, but as delay, should i be using an extra tape besides the one i record sketches for loopduties to? I think to myunderstanding for delay record has to be active and the tape running (logical) so i should use a blank tape for that to have my main tape unafected?

That is how I’ve been doing it. The new firmware that allows you to jump back to the last cue point via trigger pulse is very helpful for clockable delays too!

2 Likes

Yes, I’d start with a clear stretch of tape, playing, and looping between two cue points (the length of your delay), signal in, and -ve voltage into THAT to control the feedback on the decay of the delay.

4 Likes

Curious, with Teletype couldn’t you get an exact 4 bar loop?
There is WS.REC but is there an OP for add cue (DOWN) and add cue/loop (UP)?

you can actually even get that with one of the this modes, by sending a trigger every four bars!

4 Likes

Does that loop though? I was watching the W/ tutorial on youtube. It seems like you have to add a cue point for the beginning and then push UP during REC to start looping.

Seems like its pretty hard to get those 2 cue points exactly 4 bars manually.

you’re correct, but in a newer firmware released since that tutorial was filmed, there are interchangeable modes for this and that in LIVE mode.

@alanza was referring to sample.this, where a trigger or gate will instantly reset playback to previous cue point (similar to how it works in the dedicated CUE mode).

if you haven’t seen this page about the v1.2 firmware yet, it’s well worth a read. this firmware expands what W/ can do in many super cool ways!

1 Like

Yes, if the tape is moving and you trigger resets to the closest cue point at a constant frequency (whether via WS.CUE 0 or sample.THIS), you are effectively looping because you are constantly just playing back/recording to the same section of tape. LOOP does not need to be engaged to do this, nor do you need a second loop point!

The only difference between this and normal looping is that in normal looping, the module resets to the most recently passed cue point when it hits the next cue point, whereas here, the module resets when it receives a trigger (or TT message). The length of the loop is then determined by when you send the module the reset signals. Note this is not mutually exclusive with regular looping - there is no conflict at all - if you have looping engaged and hit a cue point, you will still go back to the beginning of the loop as normal. If you don’t have looping engaged and pass a cue point the next reset will take you to this most recently passed cue.

5 Likes

playing a loop through w/ in signal mode - used the cue trigger and ramp outputs to clock the filtering/kicks and other movement in the patch

5 Likes

Quick Q: does the clear tape function (down+r on boot) also clear the cue points on firmware v1.2? I think my experience with this suggests that it does not, which is kinda tedious. I would still love to have TT commands for clear tape (incl cue points), and add cue point at the current position.

The clear tape function should clear cue points.

I got a teletype last week and, I agree, being able to add cue points via TT would be a big time update.

3 Likes

This is what I came to ask and would love if that development were to happen. Having direct visual feedback of W/ through Grids would open up possibilities - basically, a single track MLR?

4 Likes

Something that would be really nice (but likely more complex for the user to keep track of) is if W/ saved more of its state across power-cycles.

E.g. if I want to use the live.sample feature but also have live.dub’s +4V overdub setting, I have to set it up every time I turn on the synth. It’s not hard, but it does take some repatching: setting up a +4V source, switching selector modes twice, etc.

7 Likes

I’ve been getting my head wrapped around w/. While doing so I found it helpful to make notes. Those notes quickly started to turn into a fairly comprehensive cheat sheet. And because I’m bad at time management :smirk: (and well, in for a penny, in for a pound I guess…) I turned it into a web-based reference. It’s mobile friendly, so you can use it away from your computer, but it’s also great if you have a gigantic monitor where you’ll be able to see a big chunk of it all at once.

There’s a lot that could have gone wrong here, from simple typos/editing mistakes to confusion about the workings of w/, so I’d definitely appreciate any corrections anybody finds.

I hope you find it useful.

Special thanks to @alanza (for answering a zillion questions in the various w/ threads) and @klacke (for posting a helpful cheat sheet).

http://withw.rustle.works

64 Likes

28 characters of awesome

2 Likes

Super job!! Any chance of a printable version??

In the Live LEDs section/play/transport “orange to white”, the “white” is in orange. And just below in the sample piece, the same.

1 Like

thanks so much for this!!

having all of this info in one place is invaluable. this answered several questions i’ve been wondering about, but wasn’t curious enough to dig through 1500 thread responses for.

1 Like

Yes. My original notes were in the form of a Google doc. However, I’ve made changes/fixes since I transferred the project to a web page and I’ll need to sync those changes back to the doc.

Alternately, I may just play with alternate style sheet that inverts the colors that would be suitable for printing. Either way, I’ll post it here when I get that done. Hopefully in the next few days to a week.

Thanks! Fixed.

4 Likes

This is amazing!! Thank you!!!

1 Like