maps. season 2.

my fellow cartographers,

maps (w/ trent) is back this thursday july 1. this second season will be shorter, but better prepared - diving back into the crow scripting system with an emphasis on performative techniques.

throughout the season i’ll be building a 3D map & positioning my scripts + sounds into this space. it may be a static sculpture, or perhaps a lived environment for others to inhabit – time reveals.

each episode will take the form:

• 20 minute peformance
  • 20 minute walkthrough of the concepts in use
  • 1hour workshop (incl Q+A) of how to apply these concepts yourself

forthcoming episodes:
9/2 islands of stability

past episodes on YT:
7/1 S2E1 found shapes
7/15 S2E2 zippers
7/29 S2E3 long distance
8/12 S2E4 dynamic mutation

every 2nd thursday
4pm EDT
join us twitch.tv/trently

83 Likes

Super stoked for these! And islands of stability even falls in my birthday! :tada::tada:

12 Likes

gosh i love you trent :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Maps with trent and trent
Stoked!

4 Likes

Sooooo excited for these. I need to watch season 1!!

Excited to watch - will you be able to put onto YouTube after as it’s too late for me to watch live in UK?

6 Likes

Seconding a request for YouTube uploads, can’t catch the streams but I love the content

3 Likes

Yes, the sessions will be recorded & shared on the YT channel.

20 Likes

Going live in 30mins! Come say hi :wave:

7 Likes

i wish i could join live! but i look forward to the vods.

Today’s jam was a colorful, squishy, percolating bliss. Thanks for that.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed this! Thank you!!

But what was in the package? :thinking::nerd_face::rofl:

1 Like

holy shit, i learned so much from that first episode. sequins is beyond gratifying – it checks all the manipulations of musical patterns boxes for me :hugs:

just a quick note for folks who are catching up on maps asynchronously – i’ve started writing up study notes for each episode at maps | monome/docs.

these are meant to be referenced alongside the episodes (there are links to specific timestamps in each section), so they aren’t meant to be complete standalone tutorials – just lil’ buddies to help facilitate multiple ways of learning from the videos.

the goal is to capture the foundational ideas of the first half of the episode, which can be used to jog your memory as trent builds on them in the second half of the episode.

please feel free to add your own notes + reminders as we learn together! docs/crow/maps at gh-pages · monome/docs · GitHub

29 Likes

This is huge! Thanks so much for doing this—makes the learning so much easier.

3 Likes

i’m back today at 4pm. introducing melody zippers & perhaps some chord/rhythm techniques… looking forward to it :slight_smile:

21 Likes

looking forward to see it on youtube. sorry couldn’t watch it live stream, i’m on the other side of the timezone.

1 Like

missed it live but catching up on YT. worth it just for finding out about therealbook.info —can’t even describe how useful that will be in the lessons I teach!

3 Likes

just wanna say, the music jamming in S2E3, 01:28:00, really beautiful. love it!
thank you so much for the video @Galapagoose , learning so much from this, and that ‘fnl’ function really open up lot of things.

7 Likes

Maps is back today. Exploring into dynamic ASL territory where I am largely unfamiliar. Curious to see this new landscape, and hopefully share some interesting discoveries!

This will be the last workshop-style episode of the season (the last ep is a meta-performance / hang capturing the ideas of the first 4 episodes).

15 Likes

I would love to watch the 8/12 maps; hope it ends up on youtube soon :smiley:

BTW, is there a license you would apply to the code demonstrated in maps, or shared on your Gist? I’d like to attribute you correctly when copying things like fnls (which are super portable!).

6 Likes