Maps w/ Trent <> 9/3 4PM EDT

as a Prospective Synthesizer Owner I’d be really into watching a video on cold mac, or maybe just a general whimsical patching study if thats too specific

or perhaps a ‘watch trent make a patch with all of the cold macs’

8 Likes

that would be really cool actually. One of the nice things about the stream last night was getting into how you think about the device

ha yes. What happens when you achieve critical mass of cold Macs…we must know!!!1@!

6 Likes

Hey study buddies, can anyone build the latest crow beta for me? I have made incredible progress since last night’s stream and I want to share it, but it relies on the faderbank code extension from this week.

Here’s what I’ve got working: Multiple pages of faders for your faderbank device–with soft pickups between pages–sent straight to the ER-301! Who thought 16 faders was enough? This takes your 16n and turns it into a 64n. Plus you can leave your faderbank in follower mode full-time.

(Disclaimer: If my script works for more than 2 faders…)

EDIT: Grabbed the newest crow.bin as suggested by Trent below but it’s broken my script :no_mouth: Now the “fun” begins.

3 Likes

The stream is live here! Seems super low quality which I’ll look into for next time. Doing it again next Thursday, same time, same place! Content is TBD but appreciate the comments!

@desolationjones you can grab the firmware from the crow github’s ‘Actions’ section where it builds all the new binaries to confirm nothing is broken. https://github.com/monome/crow/suites/613398836/artifacts/4721383

33 Likes

@Galapagoose I would be interested in hearing more open ended philosophical discussions on things like the prevalence of geometry and interconnectivity in your designs thus far.

9 Likes

Note: feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread, I couldn’t really find one for a one-off random experiment script like this, so I decided to post here because it came out of the talk yesterday

I have my first experiment to share from asl. It’s called tonight and it’s an arpeggiator made for use with mangrove:

I really liked the idea that came out of the experiments yesterday of making sequence timing based on the control signal’s movement (as opposed to a clock), and then updating that timing to create new “rhythms” as the sequence goes on. My a, b and c vars are my random values for changing stuff, but instead of updating every time they are called, I set up this “switch” control structure so there would be a bit of repetition before things shifted to the next set of timings… though sending that control signal to formant causes things to really loosen up and get weird anyway (this is because when barrel gets close to ccw, you start getting notes that aren’t the “fundamental” of the oscillator, depending on your formant location).

this was mentioned in the talk, but this section of the scripting reference was also helpful in figuring out how to get the timing values to update, rather than just be set once when the script is first started.

My plan for tomorrow is to start mixing this idea of non-rigid timing structures with more straightforward rhythms using the held construct, as opposed to the loop (i.e. to “reset” to a beat)

EDIT: Here’s this_afternoon, which is basically the same patch as above, but for two oscillators. did some feedback stuff to get the hair. patch notes at the comment at the top of the file:

29 Likes

i really feel that in many ways, mangrove has been waiting for asl. they’re perfect companions. lovely expression, thank you for sharing!

7 Likes

Thank you! And completely agree, mangrove has so many nice control possibilities

@Galapagoose tuned intermittently live but was distracted by work i had to complete…just finished watching and am so glad you did this!

i have so many ideas and you already answered tons of questions while showing practical solutions to build stuff i want

thanks dude

also @jlmitch5…this afternoon sounds CRAZY good

1 Like

@Galapagoose the scale function is so cool! Looking forward to it being added to the release firmware.

I might answer my own question if I work through the tutorials, and I apologize if my terminology is wrong, but is there a way to apply the scale to a voltage input on input.[1] so that I could feed input 1 a smooth lfo and have it remapped via scale so that I end up with a totally different but related stepped lfos on the 4 outputs?

Additionally, does the scale locking division depend on how many steps are in the table? ie if there are 5 steps in the table 1/5 of the input sweep goes to each one equally or does it depend on the distance between each of the steps?

Yes this would be a very short script, but i’ll leave further details until we’ve written the docs & released.

//

Going to do this weekly for now, sp tune in 4/30!

17 Likes

love and miss u trent

6 Likes

let’s gooooo

1 Like

Today (4/30) I’m planning another crow focused stream.

First hour:

• setting up the ii bus
  • sequencing notes w/ Just Friends
  • polyphonic sequencing w/ ii & cv

Second hour:
Building a timeline-based function sequencer.

19 Likes

I’m going to be catching the VOD on this – are you saving them on Twitch? I think that there is a way to say “pls don’t delete this recording”. Otherwise I’m happy to grab an offline copy of the VOD for later redistribution.

Would streaming to youtube directly maybe alleviate this?

3 Likes

another bonus w/ youtube steaming is the chat gets archived with the video (I think)

4 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to this.

Going live now :slight_smile: Hope to see your lovely smiling faces!

5 Likes

Just want to say thanks to @Galapagoose for the stream. As someone with a moderate amount of experience with JF/TT but very little with Crow, I thought it was incredibly illuminating to see and hear the process in real time!

4 Likes