Mark Eats Clips - Ableton clip launcher for grids

Here’s a new tool that might be useful to some of you. This started off life as a mod of Terms Launchd, although ended up with very little of that patch left in it. Anyway, it’s a Max for Live patch for controlling Ableton’s session view from a monome grid. I call it Mark Eats Clips.

Download here, user guide included: https://github.com/markwheeler/mark-eats-clips/archive/master.zip

Source here, branches and pull requests welcome: https://github.com/markwheeler/mark-eats-clips

I’m sure there’s a fair few bugs so let me know how you get on!

26 Likes

That M4L patching is beautiful - anyone wanting to get a handle on how to access the Live API, this is a really clearly set out case study. Really nice app. Thank you.

7 Likes

Love your device and have been using it for a long time with my 256 vb, so first of all: Thank you! :slight_smile:
Now, I frequently use groups within groups (drums(midi(midi1,midi1))(audio(audio1,audio2))) and unfortunately “eats clips” doesn’t detect those when collapsed, most probably because groups within groups only came with Live 10.
I opened your patch and tried to find out if I could fix this myself but my m4l skills are still very much lacking.
Also the Launchpad mini I have, detects and shows clips on nested groups properly, so I know that it is possible.
So if you @markeats or anybody else could chime in, I would be grateful! :slight_smile:
Best from Cologne!

oh and also: If there was an option to enable the selection of a clip when triggering it (like launchpad), that would be great as well.

1 Like

Yes that makes sense. These kind of patches that do a lot with the LOM aren’t exactly the most fun to edit I have to say.

It’s not something I’ll be able to look at any time soon but if someone else does make an update I’m happy to review PRs etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying!
I will continue trying to do it myself :thinking::nerd_face::blush: and hopefully get something done.

2 Likes