Max4Live midi channel routing?

With a Max4Live patch is there good way to send midi down multiple channels and then route those midi streams back to Ableton Midi tracks filter by the channel?

It seems that Ableton strips the channel info when I route midi output from the track hosting the max4live patch to another midi track.

As a work around I could send that info to another Max4Live patch in another track, but I was hoping to avoid that if possible.

This is one of the reasons I gave up on M4l many years ago.

As far as I know using sends is the only way. And if your working in the audio realm, this adds latencies to you signal path.

Can always make a max patch external to live and pipe the midi in the traditional way.

I wish max for live could be able to create things outside of the track structure in live. Like multichannel patches that feed into separate channels for mixing and processing

3 Likes

Just ran into this – this topic informed me, thanks.

I found that Ableton was sending M4L midi CCs to all instruments on the same midi device/port regardless of their midi channel. Modulate a CC on one synth and all synths listen: not very practical.

The workaround for me is to use a midi interface with multiple midi IO devices and use an entire device – with its 16 midi channels – per external instrument.

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for!

Is it completely outside the possibility of the architecture (?) of maxforlive for someone to create some sort of “master channel/multichannel” patch, that can be routed to seperate channels for modulation?

1 Like

There are some new possibilities in Live 11, you should check them out, I’m not sure it’s want you want, though.
For instance, you can now grab midi from anywhere into a Max Audio Effect.

Oh nice! Might have to upgrade to 11 soon. The MPE implementation could be useful for me as well.

As far as I know, when you send midi between tracks/devices in Live, midi channel information is always lost. So if that is what you really, really need, I think you’re out of luck.

In my experience, though, it is often possible to find workarounds for Live’s peculiar way of handling midi between devices and tracks, and doing so without running into issues with latency or unpredictable behaviour. In the end, midi channels work like filters: they tell devices to pay attention to certain messages and to ignore others. Lacking midi channels, you can use other types of midi messages to send the info needed to do this filtering. 1 or 2 super basic Max4Live devices often do the trick.

There is no ‘standard’ workaround solution, though. It requires really thinking through your specific needs and limitations. Which can be annoying, especially if you feel it shouldn’t be necessary to have to do a workaround to begin with. Also, these solutions aren’t always very pretty.

So… if you have a specific use case in mind and aren’t too bummed out by the idea of hacky workarounds, feel free to share what it is you’re looking for. I’ll gladly try to see if I can help you on your way.

I am seeing some devices which experiment with Ableton’s latency compensation to create workarounds, but if this adds any kind of learning curve for the user, they simply won’t use it.

I’ve found that the easiest way to do it is to send midi to Max devices that are not hosted in Ableton, process there, and then send the midi back to a Max4Live device.