Mea Culpa: Shooting from the Hip

All too often, I read a post, misunderstand something, and then post a response based on that misunderstanding. Then, the thread takes a few posts to clarify the ensuing confusion.

This contributes to thread bloat, placing additional load on potential readers.

I’m going to try to temper my response impluse, and maybe read a post 3 or 4 times before responding in full.

I hope that I can slow down the threads that I participate in to something less confusing for the reader.

Mea culpa, lines.


I love your energy and enthusiasm! But thank you for slowing down the threads for the benefit of those of us on the sidelines (some of whom may wish to be more active participants (coding contributors) in the future). It’s not (at all) that we don’t trust you. It’s more that we’re really engaged and interested in the details.

I hope it doesn’t slow your coding down (aside from the necessary time required for understanding your users and their scenarios, and the requirements these present), because it’s really pretty fantastic to see all this progress.


Definitely this! I feel like I’ve not had a chance to digest the contents of the last release, and I can see a waiter approaching with another plate of goodies!

1 Like

The OP is about misunderstanding others’ posts, which is generally a reasonable concern, though I don’t have the full context here. The two responses so far are concerns about how fast you have progressed. That I disagree with. I would elaborate, but I’m not quite sure this thread is going on track.

1 Like

I think the enlightening context here is that I’m developing features for the teletype that require community input.

The coding is roughly 20% of the work. The remaining 80% is soliciting the community for consensus.

As I am very eager to do that last 20%, I have a tendency to try to move the 80% along faster.

I think there are some who are more excited about the 20% than they are concerned about the 80%, and this helps explain the first two replies, I think.


I’m a UX designer, so if we are saying that user needs are the 80% of the work, that’s the 80% I’m typically interested in.

But potato/potatoe, tomato/tomatoe. It’s not so much about going slow as it is about keeping the pack together, not getting too spread out on the trail.

I’ll also say that leaders absolutely should lead, and I’m eternally grateful for it. And from my perspective, coding looks like a lot more than 20% of the work!