Meadowphysics / Ansible question

hey there.
so I’ve read through the documentation and played around with meadowphysics on ansible and I can’t seem to figure out if there is a way to assign a row on the grid to a specific trigger out in the 4 voice mode.
maybe you just can’t do it? any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

the voice modes on MP are basically rotating allocators, so there is no explicit assignment per row.

any row has a chance to occupy any of the four voices in four-voice mode. if MP is on “toggle” mode this becomes much clearer to see, when there are more held notes. typically in the trigger/blip mode there aren’t very many overlaps, so most of the notes go out voice 1 or maybe voice 2.

i’m trying to imagine a voice assignment application-- are you thinking of rows split to specific voices? short of modifying the firmware, you could do this quite easily with Teletype, though it’d be a lot of patch cables.

ah, bummer.

I knew that it had the behavior of multiple simultaneous events increasing the number of the gate/trigger output but I guess I was hoping that there was also some way to assign a row or a group of rows to specific outputs (like how you assign the resets).

yeah, that is exactly what I was hoping to do.
between this and my desire for a 4 voice earthsea I am realizing I might be a little obsessed with the idea of a polyphonic system with a grid interface.

To create a polyphonic piece in modular format you’d need multiple sound sources. To drive that, you’ll need multiple trigger/CV generators. With 2 Monome White Whales, for example, you can have up to 4 melodic patterns and 8 rhythmic patterns. And of course an equivalent number of sound sources, etc.

Monome is not the limiter here when creating polyphony in modular. It’s modular itself and the size of your modular system.

yup. I know what it takes to make polyphonic voices on the modular. it’s pretty expensive (in $ + HP). I have enough parts to be able to do it easily but most recently I’ve been using the er-301 to make polyphonic patches and it works beautifully. I just wanted something more inspiring than a midi controller to use for making chords and playing notes.
speaking of, the midi mode in ansible works super well for four voice allocation.

i’ve had fun feeding earthsea’s shape memory outputs to quantizers (or you can try and tune them un-quantized). shapes yield chords while playing lead lines via position/edge outputs.

3 Likes

"any row has a chance to occupy any of the four voices in four-voice mode. … typically in the trigger/blip mode there aren’t very many overlaps, so most of the notes go out voice 1 or maybe voice 2.

Ah OK. I was having trouble figuring out how this all was supposed to work. So this must be the reason for the "2 CV/TR " and “1 CV/TR” voice modes. Makes it a little easier to know what’s going on. It seems like gaining control over 4 separate voice simultaneously with MP gets a little unwieldy.

Kria seems to have been designed more with that “control of 4 separate voices” idea. And yet, I love the unpredictability of MP.