Mi-UGens for Norns

Does anyone want to test an install script for the ugens?

I’m curious is this is a reasonable approach to installing these things?

new version (May 7, 2020) mi-ugens-install.lua (1.8 KB)

after you run the script - check /home/we/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions for the ugens.

The script ran fine, but after reset i got error: SUPERCOLLIDER FAIL on boot with this in the norns.local error log:

Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
terminate called without an active exception
could not initialize audio.
Server 'localhost' exited with exit code 0.

EDIT: after a proper sleep and boot, things seemed fine. Interesting that System > Reset alone didn’t work as it usually does :woman_shrugging:

huh…

This part I understand to mean that Jack crashed

Did you reboot… Ah yes.

So yeah - I believe SYSTEM>RESET does not restart Jack, but I could be wrong there.

1 Like

just updated github with some work on plaits - along with previous interface stuff on clouds and elements. https://github.com/okyeron/mi-eng

trying out some UI lib things for interface on the basic scripts. Let me know what you think

Super weird error – whenever I instantiate the MiRings synth, all of norns’s keys stop doing anything. Encoders work fine, just keys stop. All keys: K1, K2, K3. Happens both in the branch you made adding Rings to Pedalboard, and in your mi-eng repo’s rings.lua script. :thinking: no visible errors in maiden, in either lua or SC

more detail?

Like K1 won’t take you back to the menu screen?

OG hardware norns?

Yup: K1 doesn’t take to menu in either Pedalboard or mi-eng/rings. In Pedalboard, on a pedal screen, K2 and K3 no longer navigate between tabs, and on the main page K2 no longer jumps to the pedal’s page nor does K3 confirm a pedal switch. And yes, ~1-month old new norns from monome’s shop.

Baffled here. I don’t see that on my Fates (boots up Shield… gotta run update and then test)

No idea why that would happen - esp in pedalboard since it’s using mostly code copied from your other pedals.

How could the SC stuff kill the buttons?

Yeah the fact that it happens to K1, and happens in both my script and yours… no idea what’s going on. Also probably worth noting that as far as I can tell the sound it makes on mine is also not what I’d expect at all. Much glitchier / weirder (and again – same behavior both in your mi-eng/rings script and Pedalboard)

one of the controlspec calls is hosing something?

(the ugen itself might be wonky as the author said they are work in progress) …Or maybe I did a crap job of setting up the engine?

Did get the jack error just now after installing pedalboard.

can confirm - same behavior on shield. maybe something odd about the compiled binaries on Pi3? (fates is pi4) (although I’m using the binaries I compiled on the shield)

Some kind of lua error goes by when running pedalboard the first time, but it gets lost in the scrollback - something about upvalue pages

Pushed an update to github for the UGens - looks like there was an error in the Rings class file causing norns buttons to go unresponsive.

So - if you want to fix that,

cd ~/.local/share/SuperCollider/Extensions
rm -r Mi*

then re-run the install script

4 Likes

Aw crap - rings is broken. Other stuff behaving badly.

Might wanna hold off on this for the moment while I get it sorted out

everytime you receive these messages, open:
System Preference -> Security & Privacy -> General.
you will find the “MiMu.scx” as shown in the screenshot. then unlock the panel and press “allow”.

2 Likes

I tried intalling them yesterday, but I get “Error loading” message for everything but Rings. Rings loads fine but audio seems indeed broken.
The lua install script is a nice idea :slight_smile:

probably need to restart (SLEEP, power off, power on)?

(or ;restart in both the matron and SC tabs in maiden)

Ok my bad, I had renamed the “mi-eng” folder to mi_eng, everything opens correctly now, I’ll look into it this afternoon and report back :slight_smile:

Updates

I updated the top post with a new archive of the compiled ugens and a revised version of the install script I posted up-thread.

Please download the new versions as it fixes some serious bugs with rings.

6 Likes

Hi can this be used with stock Norns ok?

Should be fine.

Just remember this is still experimental and very much works In progress.

2 Likes

Installed. All good. Reaaally enjoy clouds. I installed via winscp :)) it was a breeze. Sleep and rebooted. I`m on last norns fw on fates :slight_smile:

1 Like