Microsoft Surface Studio

After today’s MacBook announcement, I’m looking at the Surface Pro 4. Anyone able to weigh in on experience with it?

2 Likes

This looks useful: http://surfaceproaudio.com

1 Like

Totally off-top, but I think in the long term AVB will win :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe.

Interested.

Tell me more.

Off-off-topic: I had one frightening realization about the potential limits of Dante yesterday, and that is that if computers do for some reason stop being issued with physical Ethernet ports, and don’t have a reliable workaround/converter to get from whatever protocol IS installed to-ethernet, and don’t have a PCI slot or some other reliable expansion slot for an Ethernet card, then you’re screwed with Dante. Apple has been showing troubling, well-documented signs of forgetting all about its pro users.

Thing is, I know that at least there is serious development going on in the background right now with some pioneering pro audio companies, going all-in with Dante–trying to steer it out of the limited installation segment of recording and in to full-featured high end recording–so they think it’s the future. I’ve been told that directly by at least one mic pre guru.

AVB has had pretty slow uptake but recently larger vendors like Cisco have started adding support. Dante definitely has a big head start but one major disadvantage is that it requires a license fee whereas AVB is an open standard. As it starts to gain more momentum it will be easier for other vendors to add support, and especially smaller ones. I can imagine in the future even individual synths and audio processors having native AVB support.

3 Likes

interesting but not cheap.

Cheaper than a Cintiq+computer.

Interesting that we’re talking about the new Microsoft computer, and not the new Macbook Pro.

I’m a little sad about it, honestly. It feels like Apple is forgetting about us.

2 Likes

I am using a late 2013 MacBook Pro. Don’t like how Apple is drifting away from their old Zen-like focus.

3 Likes

It’s really quite unfortunate, every time Apple has a chance to entice me into upgrading from my 2011 MBP. I end up happier that I have my 2011 MBP.

If you use a MBP for live performance (and use any peripherals) it’s now officially impossible to replace it without purchasing dongles. Or getting a MBook Air, which seems to be on the chopping block.

As popular as Eurorack is, I don’t think most people like that ‘spaghetti wire look’ for their laptops.

1 Like

I hear you, but all that bothers me a lot less than the apparent lack of vision for the future. Peter Kirn summed it up nicely.

4 Likes

very weird design decisions. the new macbookpro only has thunderbolt ports. insane.

Yeah, I think he did a good job of setting up the consequences and concerns.

1 Like

I’m feeling like this thread I started a few weeks on running Linux on the desktop is prescient. I spent some time fiddling with my xmonad config today.

I switched from Windows to a PowerBook Ti back when OSX 10.1 was out, I kept my Windows desktop next to it, and over time it got used less and less. I can see the same thing happening again, but this time I’ll be moving away from OSX.

Windows has always felt like a “power users” OS, which isn’t something I need. I’m either in “developer” mode on the command line, or in “numpty” mode on the desktop. My phone does a pretty good job at easy to use computing device, and Apple doesn’t seem to care about developers anymore.

Apple wants to look back though history to their past hardware triumphs…? Well, Sir Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web on a NeXT workstation, the precursor of OSX. Now we get to select smileys on a display, I bet they’ll be selling them on an iSmileyStore™ soon. Sounds like selling sugar water to me.

Also I want my #!/@ing escape key back.

4 Likes

Haha just finishing up my first classes in Linux / C Programming. I’m already attached to vim and upset about the escape key.

3 Likes

Just giving this conversation a little nudge. If folks are using Surface (Pro or Book) in the music, I’d like to learn more.

2 Likes

This guy Robin Vincent is doing a detailed series of Surface-oriented videos about using the hardware for music production. The latest, #7, is about tweaking the settings:

2 Likes

oh my god ok, HOW did they stop brainstorming once they came up with “Touching Music, Fingering Sound”??

7 Likes

It does make one wonder.

This article quotes representatives of Propellerheads, IK Multimedia, and Avid on how the Surface (and Windows 10 more broadly) is shaping up as a music-technology tool.

1 Like

I made this subreddit for Windows Surface music-making discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/winSurfaceMusic/

1 Like