Midigrid: use launchpads & midi grid controllers with Norns

Thank you very much for yours great work, it’s perfect for a double LP mini MK3

1 Like

n00b question… where might I put this code??

It needs to be reworked for the current version of midigrid. Ideally you would find the Livid Block device in lib/devices and start from there.

If this is all beyond you, don’t worry I plan to get to it in the next few weeks, hopefully sooner.

I’m just deep into implementing some new midigrid features… and I’m making some good progress… :shushing_face:

8 Likes

20 characters of exciting times!

1 Like

:clap: :clap: :clap: so very much appreciated - at this stage def beyond…I’ll be on the lookout!

1 Like

If you could find out the name(s) of your device in the Norns system midi menu and send it to me (DM is fine) that would be helpful too.

Having issues getting cranes to play nice with midigrid. Any help would be appreciated! Receiving the following error:

# script init

including /home/we/dust/code/midigrid/lib/midigrid.lua

including /home/we/dust/code/midigrid/lib/vgrid.lua

including /home/we/dust/code/midigrid/lib/supported_devices.lua

Default 64 layout init

vgrid init with layout: 64

core midi devices

1 table: 0x47b360

2 table: 0x47b468

3 table: 0x497510

4 table: 0x476c30

5 table: 0x476ca8

finding device: 1 with name virtual

finding device: 2 with name Launchpad Pro MK3 1

Dev2 FD launchpad_promk3

finding device: 3 with name Launchpad Pro MK3 2

Dev3 FD launchpad_promk3

finding device: 4 with name Launchpad Pro MK3 3

Dev4 FD launchpad_promk3

finding device: 5 with name Midi Fighter Twister

mounted_devices

2 launchpad_promk3

3 launchpad_promk3

4 launchpad_promk3

Loading midi device type:launchpad_promk3 on midi port 2

including /home/we/dust/code/midigrid/lib/devices/launchpad_promk3.lua

including /home/we/dust/code/midigrid/lib/devices/generic_device.lua

Loading midi device type:launchpad_promk3 on midi port 3

Loading midi device type:launchpad_promk3 on midi port 4

Connected devices:

2 table: 0x5e1140

3 table: 0x517d40

4 table: 0x5f5e40

attaching devices:

2 table: 0x5e1140

3 table: 0x517d40

4 table: 0x5f5e40

device._reset

device._reset

device._reset

warning: didn't find SoftCut voice method: post_filter_fc_mod

### SCRIPT ERROR: initue (field '?')

### SCRIPT ERROR: initue (field '?') is a weird error. can you do a quick search in the modified code to see where initue is written? maybe a copy/paste overwrote the init() function?

otherwise, feel free to drop in your modified file and i bet we can find the speedbump quick :slight_smile:

Not coming up with anything searching for that term in the code! Here’s the modified file, I only inserted the typical local grid line:

function init()
  local grid = include("midigrid/lib/midigrid") <--------THIS
  g = grid.connect()

softcut.buffer_clear()
  --audio.level_cut(1)
  audio.level_adc_cut(1)
  audio.level_eng_cut(0)
  softcut.level_input_cut(1, 1, 1.0)
  softcut.level_input_cut(1, 2, 0.0)
  softcut.level_input_cut(2, 1, 0.0)
  softcut.level_input_cut(2, 2, 1.0)
  softcut.buffer(1,1)
  softcut.buffer(2,2)

Maybe I inserted the local grid = include("midigrid/lib/midigrid") incorrectly?
cranes.lua (25.6 KB)

hmm. i don’t have a launchpad on me rn, but not getting any errors launching that modified version with a monome grid :confused:

i’ll do another test later, but also cranes isn’t a friendly 64 script yet

Hi you have to paste it more down in the script, on row 726 more or less

3 Likes

Quick call out for beta testers.
Need dual launchpad RGB and push2 tested.
You will need to know how to ssh onto your Norns and run a simple git command.

Lp mini mk1 & mini mk2 already well tested.

FYI there will likely be two rounds of testing before general release. Round one is basic device support and round two will be some new features.

2 Likes

Is LP mini mk2 tested for using a pair in a 128 formation? If you need any further testers in that area I will receive my second one tomorrow.

i have push2 and would love to test

hopin this includes some screen feedback cause i was in the process of learning how to add that + mapped encoders to cheat codes

I have a push 2 and would be happy to test

I think this has come up before but couldn’t find any specific answers. I am using the LP mini mk3 with norns shield, and tried CC2 and Awake. There seems to be a pad that lights up randomly. This is consistent on both scripts.

Where should I start with identifying the issue? The scripts can’t be the cause since it does the same thing in both. I assume it’s either the LP or the midigrid script? The pad is always the same. It is row 1 col 3. It lights up ‘randomly’ when I interact with other pads on the LP. I can’t seem to replicate the behaviour with exact button presses.

1 Like

Yup, it’s a known issue, initially I was thinking its an issue in the USB stack on linux as there are bug reports to that effect elsewhere on the net.
However, it might occur when midigrid tries to send a nil value as a note or brightness code. I’ve reworked some of the code in current beta version which should hopefully improve the situation.

3 Likes

I’ve also noticed this issue in a script I’m currently working on, different row and column for me (bottom left corner y = 8, x = 1).

Thanks for the information.

How complex would it be to use sysex for variable brightness instead of the preset colours?

Hi there… Just a bug report… Using cheat codes 2 with midigrid to enable a LP mini mk2…

In the 16 step sequence buttons (in 64 pad mode) the top row work as intended… Ie press step one and it alters from green to orange, reverting to green on release…

However on pad 5 (row two step one) I get an orange light response on unpressed pad 12 (row three pad four).

Similarly pressing step 6 triggers pad 13 and so on for that whole row…
The row below works as normal and the last row works up until the final step, step 16 which doesn’t light when pressed at all.

I’d also say that some button lights “seem” a little slow… Especially the page switch, but I could be wrong…

Thanks

Phill