Midisprout

So my midi sprout kit arrived this week (yippee). I’ll be looking to get it built shortly. As it has midi din output, can anyone rcommend a convertor (midi to usb)? Not used a din cable in 20 years haha!

I’m using the Roland UM-ONE which is pretty sweet.

Thanks @strettara

Cool, looks like a great option. Do you happen to know if it will work with OP-1 (ie send midi info from Midisprout to a Synth on OP1)?

Any Midi Sprout users here? Just got mine today. I don’t really like the sameness of sound using the app, more into what it can do with the modular via computer. Really into the generative sounds I’m getting so far. How are you guys using yours with modular?

Within ios i like using animoog as you can assign the cc of midi sprout to the filter or any parameter.
Within the modular i use a shuttle control to control a voice but its best when sent into something like marbles or o&c to get more out of the midi info coming in.

I have a Midisprout but I don’t have a modular system so I tend to leave it burbling in the background when I fancy something, um, burbly-backgroundy :smiley: …apologies for sticking my nose in given my lack of experience with it in a modular setting…

I’ve read somewhere but of course can’t find it right now (maybe on the midsprout site?) that the scale in the app is C - It would be great if there were other scales available but there we are, maybe if enough people asked they could extend the app a little?

As for hooking it up to a modular rig, you should check out Lightbath - thie Insta post gives some interesting insight into how he’s integrated it

And, if that’s the same session he’s talking about, then it’s also available via RVNG’s Bandcamp as a split with Emily A. Sprague - check it out here:

Apart from that…! Have you checked out the Instruo Scion? “a biofeedback sensor built into a quad random voltage generator based on the MidiSprout”

Okay, enough threadjacking from me - Good luck figuring out the Midisprout - let us know how you get on!

I got a midisprout from a previous batch… I don’t like the app sounds, I really love it when driving a complex synth like Absynth or Aalto.

Yeah, the app is a joke. Much better when I filter the MIDI data into some sort of usable scale, and send it out to modular or hardware synths. I use a Hex Inverter MIDI Brain to convert MIDI to CV. Messing around with sending the CV to modulate things instead of doing the usual pitch stuff. Very exciting.