Mind Blowing Facts

*creamshake.

(Sorry)

Belva Lockwood was an American badass who made several major gains for women in the law, professions, and education. She was also the first woman to legitimately run for president, in 1884 as a member of the Equal Rights Party. Even though several newspapers refused to advertise her candidacy, and there were reports of states tearing up ballots that voted for her, she officially won 4,149 votes. It’s not in the Wikipedia article on her, but in a petition to Congress she claimed that the electoral college of Indiana changed their vote to be for her after initially casting it for Grover Clevland.

She wrote an article titled How I Ran for the Presidency in this issue of The National Magazine in 1903 (begins on page 728). Very cool to read about it in her own words, and it includes her nomination and acceptance letters, as well as a copy of the petition to Congress asking that they acknowledge her full count of votes.

This is the most mind-blowing thing I have discovered this year.

There exists mathematical constants which are uncomputable (ie Chaitin’s constant) — they are definable (they fulfill a certain equation and can be shown to exist), but cannot be determined (there cannot exist a procedure to uncover its value).

The singular of “spaghetti” is “spaghetto”, i just learned today

in fact, “most” numbers are like this, in the sense that the computable numbers are countable and thus have measure zero (roughly, take up no space) in the real numbers!

https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/ellipse-perimeter.html

“Rather strangely, the perimeter of an ellipse is very difficult to calculate !”

Effects can easily sound like pasted-on gimmicks that tend to get dated with time.

Hey I knew that! :grinning:

The plural of pizza is pizze.

Va be…con 20caractere di

Yeah - graffito, panino… English has a pretty loose history of taking Italian plurals and making them either singular or a non-count noun

At Seattle coffee shops people always ask for “a biscotti.” Saying this would kill me a little inside. But saying “a biscotto” earns me nothing here except either a blank stare or a medal for pedantry. I was ready to swear off these tasty treats until I found the workaround: “I’ll have one of these biscotti.”

Maybe no minds will be blown, but:

“emoji” comes from adding “e-” to “moji” - the word has nothing to do with emotions or emoting.

Well, now I want an emojito.

Make that two emojiti

Here’s an emojito. Cheers.

Indeed, it’s 絵文字, 絵 (“eh”) meaning picture and 文字 (“moji”) meaning character (as in 20 characters of mind blown :exploding_head:)

Oh yeah and paparazzo / paparazzi is after a character in a Fellini movie.

Good timing that I’m going out for pizze tonight, can’t wait to get pedantic with everyone

Interesting! Parallel to that is the fact that the set of all languages is uncountable, while the set of all Turing machines is countable. I don’t know anything about measure theory, but it seems to come up very often in the cool bits of math I want to explore.