Mind Blowing Facts

I felt the need to make the statement in response to the few posts previous mine

Oh I know. It was just a wry, it’s-too-bad-it-is-not-in-fact-surprising, comment.

Rage is there. I think it’s more, “where’s the hope”.

In the postwar years hope was more or less unquestioned, I mean we had to think of how to reconstruct a new society almost from scratch, so there was basically only future to think about. But if you don’t have an idea of the future it’s pretty hard to come together over anything.

But people are getting together, change is starting to happen (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez etc.), it’s just that most of these stories aren’t being told.

Which leads to another point, what I dislike most about “generational stories” is that they have very specific protagonists who are invariably white, male, U.S. born and so on. Whereas the reality of American life is so many other stories. It’s like that awful TV show I grew up watching, the Wonder Years. It’s like, “we” only started to have the gun debate when some cute white kids were killed at Sandy Hook, as if it was never a concern prior to that, or as if the with the vast majority of the other kids murdered by gun violence, that was even acceptable somehow.

I think always, when using the word “we”, who is this we? Who typifies a “generation”? Who is really meant by a millennial, a Gen-X, a boomer?

More to the point of hope, who will come to represent the generations of the future?

The scary thing, and the thing that is most synonymous with the loss of the future is that the “we” comes to refer to precisely no one, not even the richest CEO. Yet there still persists this narrative of the “we” who can innovate “our” way out of climate change, or simply move, or colonize another planet – that the people most at risk are simply those who must have made “bad decisions”. So be it, but that “we” has population zero, not even Elon Musk is included. Douglas Rushkoff has a good piece on this:

The onward march of the “we”, the subject of privilege and of historical progress, it’s like a machine that continues to run without any humans left like in the Philip K. Dick story “Autofac”. Or Kowalski in Vanishing Point, just keep on going until the final oblivion.

In a room with 23 people, there’s a 50% chance that two people share a birthday

https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/

„Being human is not about individual survival or escape. It’s a team sport. Whatever future humans have, it will be together.“

Thanks for the article!

11630 is the smallest uninteresting number:

[actually it seems to be 14228 now]

whoa. Crazy inspiring

The other fun story I’ve heard about his Plays EP was that they submitted it for licensing or whatever copyright control process would be needed to publish a cover of the original – but the reviewers deemed them to be original compositions.

That reminds me, Autechre’s Bilfil:

Apparently started off as a remix of Eric B and Rakim’s Microphone Fiend, which they’ve occasionally played live

Mirror Touch Synesthesia is a form of synesthesia, which allows the physical sensations of touch, happening to another person. To be sensed by the person with the condition.

That reminds me of this mind blowing brain interface experiment from 2014. Wonder what this lab has done since then.

Oh, now I get it!

recent discovery: a parasite, massospora, infects cicadas with psilocybin and the kind of amphetamine that’s only been found in the khat plant. the cicada also loses 1/3 of its body but it carries on just fine due to the influx of drugs.

This sounds like one of those D.A.R.E. assemblies I had to go to in middle school - “if you do drugs your butt will fall off and you won’t even care.” I remember the story of the person who smoked weed and was decapitated after walking into an airplane propeller. Also the person who stabbed their eyes out with knitting needles because they thought rats were chewing out their eyes.

D.A.R.E. - Drug Abuse Resistance Education - probably need to have beeen a 70s/80s kid from the USA to have endured this

I never had them as a kid (too young :sweat_smile:) but I think my parents may have a D.A.R.E. Frisbee to this day

i still have my DARE shirt from… 5th grade? …somewher

oh right, surprising facts… well… i have been reading the chapter in dawkin’s “climbing mount improbable” about spiderwebs, which as a whole is pretty amazing. maybe

• independent evoluion of “ladder” webs (same structure, different orientations)
  • the variety of silk and strand types (quick shear, signaling, etc etc)
  • length: mass: strength ratio (20m of silk in <0.0001 of the spiders body weight)
  • sophisticated engineering strategies like temporary scaffolding,

mac is both an acronym and an abbreviation of mac and cheese

a recursive acronym as an excuse to add more cheese?
mac and cheese and cheese and cheese…