Mind Blowing Facts

Not completely accurate.
Belgium has 3 regions, Flanders, Wallonia, Brussels
Most used name for newborns in region is
-Flanders: Louise and Liam
-Wallonia: Emma and Gabriel
-Brussels: Lina and Adam (on the second spot though is our dearest Mohamed)

And most used names in general: Maria and Jean.

Although your claim could be a reality in the near future.

That’s what I read in the newspaper a while ago, not that important.(Wouters, klinkt vlaams)

You can write any positive number as a sum of three palindromes:

http://somethingorotherwhatever.com/sum-of-3-palindromes/

I see someone else is subscribed to Numberphile; does being a math-geek come out in your music at all?

My mind remains unblown:

Still technically correct.

Using zeroes feels like cheating, but I suppose you’re right. :thinking:

9999 = 3333 + 3333 + 3333 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

222 + 222 + 222 = \m/ \m/

The most popular family name in Wales starts with a letter that is not in Welsh.

you won’t get interesting results with boring input :slight_smile: try a large random number

I wouldn’t describe myself as a math-geek although I do like me some maths. and perhaps my music is bit more mathematical because of it!

The other caveat would be omitting the use of “1”. This makes the original statement untrue but would lead to more interesting results. But I guess you could always move to the next odd number.

Or just any palindromes.

since y’all like math in this thread, one fact that’s blowing my mind lately is that any action of a group on a tree with fundamental domain another tree gives you an algebraic splitting of the group as a free product with amalgamation that you can write down just from information about stabilizers!

I tried to FTFY:

But I still am unsure of “algebraic splitting”, “amalgamation”, and “stabilizers”.

Vocabulary mind blown!

(also, should it read “fundamental domain of another tree”?)

AnnotateTFY :slight_smile:

oh man, thanks xD

To complete the annotation, I do mean free product with amalgamation in the sense of Wikipedia—it’s one long idea, so sometimes I’ll just write “amalgam” and mean this. The “algebraic splitting” isn’t a technical term per se, but it refers to the amalgam structure, since you get two (or more) smaller units that are being joined together somehow to form your group. I think Wolfram might have a link for “stabilizer” somewhere, but Wikipedia’s description in the article on group actions might be nice.

By way of explanation, I’ve been reading Trees by Jean-Pierre Serre, where he (and his student, Hyman Bass) lay out this idea and build on it to describe “graphs of groups” and their structure and properties.

The best part about mind blowing facts is that they can lead to so many “aha” moments as various previously unknown things suddenly start falling into place around the seed that started it all…

I’m honestly surprised that a series of concepts consisting of so much unfamiliar vocabulary can appear to make sense so quickly. But that’s a cool thing about math. You don’t really have to understand it for it to make sense. It makes sense whether you notice or not! :smiley: