Mind Blowing Facts

Not sure where to post this so i’m putting it here.

A little while back, i wrote my masters thesis on city ambient noise and the effects on human health and how to mitigate noise propagation using urban design principles. In other words, i find this stuff endlessly fascinating.

It also serves as a PSA that, whatever the cause of this particular strange occurrence, it’s incredibly important to take care of your hearing. Most of us probably listen to high frequencies at high volumes and are exposed to ambient noise all the time (which is increasing). This exposure can negatively impact a lot of your body’s rhythms and systems (such as blood pressure; studies have been conducted on communities surrounding airports that correlate these 2 things). So, in other words, protect your ears! That’s all. Have a great day!

Heard a Vox “Today explained” podast about that

Ha, I’m super late in reading this thread (relative new-lurker to lines), but I had to say it, my wife went to high school with Rhino Page (the bowler shown prominently in the image here).

Ha! That’s so random! I literally grabbed that from a Google Image search for “Mind Bowling”

Pozole was originally made with corn and human flesh (from Aztec sacrifices). It was changed to pork because of its similar taste.

One of my favorite meals. I had no idea that nixtamalization had such a dark history. Interestingly, that tidbit isn’t mentioned here at all:

I wonder if it’s actually true?

Edit: Oh, right, I was being dense. The meat/blood has zilch to do with the hominy. So, sure, some priests were engaging in human sacrifice. I sort of doubt this was how most people thought about pozole on a daily basis though!

I have been very interested inLissajous curves and have been integrating these shapes into my automations and of course they are already present in the synth patches. I have found a few great books on this site actually I am picking up these two next!

The carol that goes “God rest ye merry gentlemen” is saying to gentlemen “may God rest ye merry”, an old-fashioned way of saying “keep you merry”. I parsed the whole line differently.

I find a lot of language discoveries kind of mind blowing.

Random comics/typography crossover titbit:

Most English speakers know * as an asterisk, but did you know † is an obelisk?

These characters have traditionally been used when you want more than one footnote on a single page, at least when it was less common to number footnotes.

I strictly found this mind-blowing in the context of Asterix and Obelix, as an asterisk and obelisk are a natural pair. I’d always thought of the latter’s name in reference to his menhirs and their similarity to a physical obelisk, but now it seems like that’s just a nice bonus layer.

About 6.5 % of the people who have ever lived are alive now. (7 billion of 107 billion Homo Sapiens)

low-pass filtering pitch cv not only gives you portamento, but a bouncy portamento. resonance controls the bounciness.

oh that’s lovely!! I suspect that this also has to do with the specifics of the filter—something like slide~ doesn’t give you bounciness… although having said that I definitely have to try adding feedback to slide~ now…

ETA – nothing exciting happened; positive feedback made it overshoot and negative feedback I think just made it undershoot.

Try BPF and HPF with different res Q as well. Neat related module: http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2017/10/sly-grogan.html?m=1

something I discovered post-posting is that the portamento time doesn’t change like it would with slide~. a sub-audible filter frequency makes a noticable portamento and a high freq makes no portamento and only a bounce.

I haven’t listened to slide~ with audio :thinking:

this is a cute, kinda trippy video about the kind of math I do! (not knot theory specifically, but hyperbolic geometry) :relaxed:

This one from Saturday Morning Breakfast Comic was a mind blower for me, still can’t decide if its true or not…

A musician is someone who can count to 4.

A programmer is someone who can count to 1.

A mathematician is someone who used to know how to count :wink:

Depends on the definition of “number”. Zach always plays fast and loose with definitions.

I have a digital piano that that has a stuck key, the B flat above middle C. I’ve been playing in the keys of G, A and D major and inverting chords that need that note. Removing keys from a piano, it’s good practice!