Minimal mixers

The choice of having a mono Send and return seems limiting in my opinion.

I understand the need for a set of standards but it doesn’t seem that outlandish for manufacturers to offer stereo jacks on certain sound processing modules to save HP and some cost. Worst case: you use a splitter cable or simply use regular 2-conductor cables for mono operation.

I understand the budgeting factor, however I think a splitter cable would not work in this case if you are feeding 2 channels of the mixer with a stereo source (where L and R are not identical).

Could you not use splitters on both inputs and outputs in that case? No real debate here from me, just thinking out loud.

1 Like

I feel you and I appreciate you chiming in.
If I have a stereo signal that I want to feed (SEND) to a stereo processor, I will need two channels (Left and Right) to go into it to preserve the stereo image.
Using a splitter on a mono signal, I m going to have 2 copies of the same signal .

That is if I have understood what you are saying correctly, of course.

I had a silly idea for a minimal panning mixer: an arbitrary number of input jacks representing different fixed pan positions from left to right, mixed down to two output jacks. Kind of like the left/right/center jacks in the output section of Isms, only more so.

Here’s what it could look like as a 1U Eurorack module, with 9 input and 2 output jacks:

Plug a signal into the leftmost jack to pan it 100% left, the next one over for 75% left, and so on, all the way to 100% right at the rightmost input jack.

Does this exist?

(Also, this is my first post here, but I’ve been reading this forum for a while. I like the vibe of the place. Hi.)

20 Likes
Prototyping Nearness, a minimal panning mixer module

Further thoughts:

1. I like how this forces you to give each sound its own place on the pan spectrum, but you could of course also combine this with other mixers, minimal or otherwise, for more options. I don’t see a good way to dynamically pan sounds in this design, but maybe that’s okay.
  2. It should be trivial to build any pan law you like into this. Almost the entire circuit could be opamps and resistors.
  3. The input and output jacks should probably all be placed along the same axis, but other than that, the layout is pretty flexible. For instance, left and right might as well be up and down. Here’s a 7:2 variant as a 3HP 3U module:
6 Likes

Check this out - just a few dozen posts up. I would love to see something like this soon!

2 Likes

Ha, managed to miss that! Very neat to also have different inputs with different fixed gains.

This is a great idea. Most panning in euro is voltage controllable, but I prefer something like this since I like good stereo placement, but not so much stereo motion.

1 Like

I LOVE this concept, and would buy this in a heartbeat. Just like you laid it out: no knobs, nothing.
It’s perfect.

2 Likes

It would be cool if there was a single knob (possibly with a cv input to control it), that acts as a width control.

At 0% everything input is panned center.
At 100% it works as you describe.

EDIT: Was thinking about this more, and this could also be done through a separate module as well. 2 ins, 2 outs, and the width knob/cv input. I don’t think it would really lose any ability to have it as a second stage.

7 Likes

this is a neat furthering of that idea

in this video, @TomWhitwell explains his minimal mixer module (and 4 other new niceties)

13 Likes

@billyhologram, superb idea. Like @analogue01, I care more about placement than active panning; this could be marvelous.

I wonder if 11 inputs would be too much? Finer gradations between positions; one for each hour on the clock face, save 12 and 6, which would be the same.

There are a few modules that do this. Verbos makes one. I built this, and love it; it’s more or less permenantly patched in my chain, just before the RIP to recorder or phones:

4 Likes

Startup sounds lovely. Could see that replacing the Rosie in my skiff. If I understand it correctly, though, signals are either fully left, fully right, or center.

Tangentially, I was going to build a Spring Reverb, but if there’s a second revision coming up, I’ll happily wait a while.

I like this a lot, and think having it as a separate module, like the NLC module that @Larrea posted, would work well. I wonder if it would also be useful to allow the knob/CV to invert the pan, making left right and vice versa.

Anyway, I reckon I’ll try prototyping this fixed panning mixer idea, see what it feels like.

2 Likes

Yep, I was waiting for that to come out so I could suggest Tom’s minimal, mix-by-patching mixer…

1 Like

It’s not hard left/right - it’s panned left/right but the signal is present on both sides. According to my calculations it’s a 20db difference between left and right (or vice versa). I was aiming for something that feels like 9 o’clock / 3 o’clock on a pan pot.

2 Likes

This looks like another one: DUDE from Bastl
http://www.bastl-instruments.com/instruments/dude/

12 Likes

I don’t see in the description on the page what that juice button is I’m assuming some kind of overdrive or distortion?

this looks pretty nice

1 Like