[Minneapolis 10/23] Ben Moren, Singing Ice, Listening Event & Album Release @ Mirror Lab

Ben Moren, Singing Ice
Album Release / Listening Night
with projections

Oct.23 2021
7PM & 9PM
30 minute duration

Mirror Lab
3400 Cedar Ave.
Minneapolis, MN
Masks Required!

Please join me for the release and listening night of my first recorded sound project at The Mirror Lab on Saturday 10/23. We’ll play the album through from start to finish at 7pm and 9pm (30min duration). I’ve also been working on new projection work which will accompany the playback. Cassettes with digital downloads will be available for purchase!

Recorded near and performed inside of a small cabin on Burntside Lake near Ely, Minnesota in the early winter of 2020. Field recordings of singing ice; fracturing ice sending reverberating sounds across a frozen lake, serve as the acoustic foundation of the album. Leveraging physical modeling resonators, responsive synth tones, and other sampling strategies; the resulting soundscapes invite you on a journey across thin ice, and under the surface.

Preview/preorder the album at bandcamp:

10 Likes

I live in MPLS and this sounds dope. I’ll see if I can make it!

Awesome! – it’d be great to connect. Mirror Lab is a great community / space for experimental music and sound too – Lots of cool things on the horizon there!

2 Likes

Wish I could make it, that sounds really cool!

If you ever find yourself in/around Fargo, drop me a line!

1 Like

I’m a few stops away on the train… I’d love to check this out. Not sure if I can make it but have a great show anyway!

1 Like

I also live in Minneapolis, and I didn’t know this was happening. I’m so happy that Mirror Lab is turning into a space that hosts such performances, and I’m now looking forward to this one.

1 Like

They have had a pretty strong showing of experimental music pre-pandemic, but I think they have a new focus and took over the adjacent gallery space (used to be White Page Gallery) and now have more capability for things regularly. I’m not going to be performing live this night – I dont have a live sound practice yet :wink: so it’ll be a listening party + projections. This is my first sound project, and otherwise I tend to live in the visual art space! But I would be so grateful for folks to come listen and experience the album (and some video work) together!

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing what you’ve been working on!

1 Like

i just moved back to minnesota and i’m so happy to see other monome people doing thangs!!!

2 Likes

@jonsimon welcome back!

If you aren’t a member already, and if you are on Facebook, I’d invite you to come join us on the Twin City Synth Meet FB Group. We were literally just having a discussion there regarding a desire for more Monome/Norns discussion and interaction.

1 Like

Fellow Minneapolis resident here as well. I think Twin City Synth meet used to meet at this location back when it was called The White Page.

1 Like

@pwenzel this is accurate. We were doing the Twin City Synth Meet at the original White Page location off of Hiawatha, and we followed them to their location on Cedar that is now The Mirror Lab.

I played one of the Synth Meets at the Cedar location actually, and it was a great bit of fun, and I’m really excited to see that space being activated with good and weird live (or “live-ish”) music once again.

1 Like

Yes! It’s true that the White Page used to be in the gallery space, the secret is that Mirror Lab was always next door and occasionally had music/sound events, but was always primarily a visual arts oriented studio space. When White Page closed, they took over and formalized a collective for the whole space together. It’s a great spot, and two of the folks who are behind ML; Casey Demming & John Marks have put on a bunch of music events in the past. I know that they also programmed the tuesday night music series at Art of This Gallery when that existed ages ago. That stuff was a little more underground, so I’m happy that they are doing a little more public facing stuff now!.

Also, I’m so happy to share this album with the lllllll community, since I simply would not have been able to make the album if it was not for this community. Simple as that!

2 Likes