mirrored heart: dan derks

in may, i was lucky to submit a video to the cached media season 2 showcase - may 26 & 27 (twitch), celebrating a triptych of releases from so many artists i deeply admire, including a collaboration with zander raymond (qualia: dan derks & zander raymond). my portion was an improvisation with a soon-to-be-released norns script:

i was deeply humbled by and appreciative for the enthusiasm of folks who tuned into the stream – it was the first bit of music-making i’d done since my car accident in january, and the generosity of y’all’s support + care was such a welcome buoy from the feelings i was struggling with last year (the ‘qualia’ thread above has all these details).

and much much love to @tehn , whose gentle-yet-consistent provocation led to considering bundling and sharing the tunes in a lil’ collection – with his help, i’ve gone through and edited my audio into an EP called mirrored heart, named as a reminder for myself to always seek what can be shared between folks beyond personal fact comparison:

i’m also super grateful to rocky, my spouse, for providing another on-the-dang-nose expression of cover art.

if it’s fun to get some background, the script is called hills – it combines a 7-voice FM supercollider synth i’m working on (kildare) with three stereo softcut voices. the left side of the playable surface is a matrix of momentary buttons which iterate through humanized-but-clock-aware sequencers for each of the 10 parts. the right side has some meta functions, like pattern recorders and snapshots which can be restored immediately or over a specified duration (just a script-specific adaptation of @Galapagoose’s fnl function from maps s2e3).

synth tones are all kildare but then the softcut buffers have these drum samples from matt davies (who is unbelievable + his collaboration with church andrews is why i started scripting hills) and that friggin’ sax is from dane.zone’s a bit of everything vol. 1. the stereo output of the script was then run through true iron and valhalla vintage verb for extra spice.

i’ll have more waypoints for hills and kildare over the coming weeks, but wanted to share some prelim deets in case folks were interested :sparkles:

thank you all for reading, for being so warm + kind to me both on and off lines, and i hope these weirdo clips are a nice mid-summer vibe :rainbow:

122 Likes

yes…! so glad to hear these, i have been playing that cached video on a loop so often lately. endlessly lucky and grateful for your art

4 Likes

what a fabulous surprise!! thank you for sharing the music and for the exciting details of another script (!!)

5 Likes

Awesome work, Dan! Really curious what present awaits us with your upcoming script :wink:

5 Likes

i feel and hear so much love and courage here and the silences in crossover…wow!

thank you dan for sharing your glorious music with us all. very grateful for you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

This is very nice. Thank you for being so kind to share with us with so much details the things you do. We are now allí waiting anxiously to this new Hill script!
Congratulations for your new record.

4 Likes

congrats on the release! can’t wait to give it a spin :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Really great sounds on this record. Reminds me in a way of an early, less abrasive Arca. Awesome stuff.

4 Likes

what a joyful day!!
thank u as always dan

4 Likes

Love this - especially the last track - reminds me of Prefuse 73. Very much looking forward to hills and kildare

8 Likes

What a great day! New Dan Derks music and a new script coming soon. Can’t wait to dive in!!

2 Likes

Awwww! DanDerks, you’re one of the best.
You sold me my grid. (you did)
Your scripts flip my lid. (they do)
Feel free to rub it into your chest! (you should)

:hugs:You’re welcome :hugs: h

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing these songs as well as the context and inspiration they came from. Looking forward to the scripts because I’m sure they will inspire others to create interesting things too.

2 Likes

So incredible! These songs/performance have been so inspiring and I can’t wait to get my hands on hills :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ah dang, seriously, thank y’all so much for the kind vibes toward this exploratory capsule. it’s incredibly heartening to read your messages, both here and direct, and i’m beyond stoked to see what y’all get into with the script! :revolving_hearts:

12 Likes

it has taken

every. single. ounce of self-control to hold back and refrain from pestering dan about this script
i’m proud of myself :smile:

10 Likes

Wow, awesome broken beats I wasn’t expecting. Love this style and the saturation you got going on

3 Likes

congrats dan :stars: these suit the ep format so well & i’m glad to have them in my pocket anytime

having also been really deep into script dev in the last two years i can relate with that disoriented feeling that comes with stepping away from creative practice for such a long time (also struggled w/ this for the stream & other shows this yr). really glad you were able to bounce back in & discover these killer momes :man_rowing_boat:

8 Likes

Loved this album. Sounds so unique and true, no pretention whatsoever, which is something really hard to find these days: Everyone wants to sound like everybody else (i include myself in that list) but this one, not at all. And the beats are killer. Great job! (instant purchase)

4 Likes

Pure magic, Dan. Thank you so much for sharing!

5 Likes