Mixers and audio interfaces

MOTU 16A looks nice! or my hacky solution, an 8 channel interface with ADAT out + old cheap interface with ADAT in (I use an ultralite AVB + an old 828 mk2).

2 Likes

Yeah two ultralites was my solution before…
Or using 10 of the ultralite outs + the ultralite headphone out + the headphone out of my laptop to get 14 channels out.

2 Likes

adding the headphone out is very clever! I always forget how handy the aggregate device feature on Mac is.

2 Likes

Yeah the gain staging is a bit all over the place mixing all those different types of outputs but it’s super handy in a pinch

1 Like

There are UA Apollos thtat have 16 outs. My friend has used those for film installations in the past. Expensive, though.

1 Like

How about RME Digiface USB + Ferrofish Pulse 16? The Pulse 16 is great in my experience, I use it with a RME UFX II.

The Motu 16A has 16 TRS inputs and outputs and supports USB and Thunderbolt (I was looking at it for a while).

Also, not sure on your use case, and not specifically a soundcard…but the SSL Big Six can support up to 16 audio inputs via USB (using the ‘from USB’ switches on the channels and ext in’s).

With the 2 stereo sends and Bus B output/switches there is quite a lot of flexibility in how the audio is then routed or summed out of it.

I love mine (got it instead of the 16A and external mixer).

When you add up the cost of a good mixer and decent soundcard it actually doesn’t seem bad value at all (or at least that’s what I tell myself to get over the sticker shock :smile:)

I have been collecting some small mixer on this are.na channel: mixer — Are.na

I mostly add mixer that are available for purchase, so the focus is a bit different, but maybe there’s one there that you haven’t seen already :slight_smile:

I really wish that they made “normal” SSL Six with the interface. The Big Six is overkill for me in both number of channels and price. Because as you say, for a combined mixer with all the SSL goodness AND an interface, the price is really not that off.

1 Like

That would have been cool. I just spent preposterous amounts of time and money getting my SiX completely hooked up to my interface with rack/patchbays/cables. And now my streamlined desktop setup is huge and clunky again.

so, with all apologies if this hasn’t been covered: why isn’t there a eurorack+skiff solution for this. in vcvrack land there are truly innovative modular mixer tools that let you do wild things like build a 4 input 10 bus mixer or a 20 input 20 bus mixer or a hybrid matrix/standard mixer.

Personally I need a 6 stereo input / 4 aux bus mixer which doesn’t exist. I don’t want mic pres, I don’t want mono ins, I don’t have a use for a mixer with a single aux—I need at least 4 stereo aux busses thank you. A dream would be for me to be able to build one out of modular components so that I could get just what I need… and ostensibly add/remove modules as needed.

3 Likes

If I had to make a guess, I think the main reason would be size and cost.
I don’t think anyone would want to pay what it would cost to make a mixer like that in eurorack. If you look at the WMD performance mixer and the Frap Tools CGM, both are large, quite costly and fairly limited compared to something you find in a virtual modular/digital environment or desktop mixer but are arguably the best euro mixers we’ve got, feature-wise.
One can only imagine how large and costly it would be to make what is effectively a 6 x 4 STEREO matrix mixer. at a certain point an outboard mixer just makes more sense than eating up that much HP

2 Likes

Agree. Sadly. In the meantime I use a dedicated MS Surface tablet + a KMix to do it, and it works well enough that I should not complain. One can want, though, no?

There’s the ADDAC807, which has 3 stereo aux buses; you could combine that with a pair of stereo matrix mixers connected via the direct outs and get 7 aux buses…

1 Like