Mm.. Food (What are you eating?)

A totally random food thread appears!

For some reason, [Lacinato/Tuscan/Dino] Kale is inexplicably difficult to find in Berlin (“Schwarzkohl”), but I’ve finally found a reliable source, which has reminded me of this Kale salad recipe that Brian emailed me ages ago (just over 5 years, wtf??)

It got me thinking, does anyone else here enjoy cooking? What are some of your favorite recipes?

You should grow kale! I think every person’s life could be improved by a little more gardening.

Lately I’ve been on a serious southern cooking kick. Well, not just lately, but also lately. So collard greens with smoked hamhock and bacon (sorry, I haven’t been a vegetarian in almost 20 years, tried it for about 5 years and just gave up eventually). Jambalaya and red beans and rice are also favorites around here.

We love the slow cooker. Whole bunch of different recipes in there.

Made a seafood chowder recently that was pretty awesome.

A winter root veggie and beef curry has been a hit. Parsnips are seriously underrated.

I’m missing the fungi-filled days of fall. Have a forager friend who was finding amazing boletes and chanterelles and lion’s mane and other wonders with regularity. I need to tag along and learn his secrets.

My wife is gluten sensitive, so we went on a gluten free kick for a while. Desserts are one of the hardest, so she actually ended up writing a cookbook we never ended up publishing exclusively about gluten free dessert. Also low in sugar and dairy.

Our farm is an orchard, so dried fruit is always a favorite (in addition to the fresh stuff of course). We’ve also been tomato growers in the past, and when you start exploring the thousands of tomato varieties that are available, you realize tomatoes have surprising variation in taste, color, size, and texture. It’s hard to believe but tomatoes are underrated too. Figs are super happy here and we’re huge fans. We’re big into persimmons too.

mmmm food

[quote=“jasonw22, post:2, topic:6079”]
My wife is gluten sensitive, so we went on a gluten free kick for a while. Desserts are one of the hardest, so she actually ended up writing a cookbook we never ended up publishing exclusively about gluten free dessert. Also low in sugar and dairy.
[/quote]I would be eternally grateful if you’d share some of these

i’m not gluten sensitive yet but have many friends who would love good recipe ideas (including my sister in law)

I will try to find a way to do that. Right now it’s in an awkward spreadsheet format we were using during development (of course I turned into a programming project, smh).

currently loving hearty, spicy broths with soba noodles.

in my quest for soba i discovered many brands mix wheat in with the buckwheat - but i can vouch for king soba - 100% buckwheat & organic.

today’s farmers market
more food talk, nice thread :slight_smile:

My wife or I cook dinner most nights, we cook a lot. Both of us have many years of culinary experience and interest. I am originally from south Louisiana and really enjoy cooking a big pot of chicken & sausage gumbo for friends. This is gumbo season, after all, and bone broths, many many bone broths made with beef knuckles. Phò, egg drop soup, etc.

Last night we made these ‘tacos’ with lamb chorizo, onions and potatoes. and this green sauce we have used for many years now, made with avocado, cilantro, lime, tomatillos… (that is good on everything) and steamed freshly made corn tortillas.

We have a baby kale ‘salad’ that marinates in the dressing for ~30 minutes and softens and loses the kaley bitter edge that I had trouble with for a while.
It was my gateway to being able to actually enjoy kale.

Fungi filled days of fall are the best.
Parsnips ARE underrated.
Since we live in the city, we do container gardening , usually a hand full of determinant tomato plants, various herbage, and jalapeños and serranos.

All I ‘read’ when you said orchard, @jasonw22, was hard cider. :green_apple: --> :wine_glass: = :yum: … Technically closer to wine than beer (re: emoji choice)

My wife likes to explore new recipes all the time. (she loves the NYT food section, it really is top notch)
I like to find a recipe or start with an idea and then tweak it / play / test / refine until a recipe is down to its essence in techniques and ingredients to maximize a finished result. (Rozanne Gold has been a big influence)

No doubt, @shellfritsch, only buckwheat for soba!
dammit, @abalone, I want to make a carrot cake now.

I’m a laughable lightweight, but I have some brewer and vintner friends and we are growing cider apples. Stay tuned. :wink:

I couldn’t possibly put enough hearts on this! :hearts:
We have a cider bar (The Northman) that opened up not too long ago and speaking of underrated and under appreciated… cider.
The guy that runs the beverages there used to live in my building and would brew test batches of cider year after year. Delicious test batches of cider.

Mm… I love home made cider… That’s one thing i miss about living in the UK got some awesome craft ales and ciders there.

Managed to get hold of some fresh curry leaves today so i made this great Rick Stein recipe chettinad chicken highly recommended!

@glia, here’s that spreadsheet of gluten free and low sugar/dairy recipes. One recipe per tab. Formatting is a little strange because this spreadsheet was originally intended for a machine to read, not a human. Sorry about that.

i can pretend to be a machine for a good cause

@dennisflax where are you located? i’m always curious where cider is appearing and getting more popular.

kelli and i planted a diverse heirloom cider orchard right when we moved to our farm, and then promptly realized there were 50 year old apple trees all over the property. so we’ve been pruning them back to production and there are some crazy (some good some weird) old apples to be tasted. last year with friends (who also have apples) we bottled 600 (wine) bottles. wild yeasts are incredible here-- no need for champagne yeast!

I really need to visit someday. Sounds incredible.

fish and seafood are comfort food to me so i’ll share a “recipe” for a great meal i’ve enjoyed for yrs

my mom cooked it many times and taught me how to make a traditional catfish soup from her hometown (calabar, cross river state, nigeria)

it’s quite simple but no directions exist in a western recipe format so, having never tasted the original, you’ll have to experiment and find what measurements and timing work best for you

Imagining a meal for two you’ll need:
at least one catfish
2 tomatoes
an onion
pepper of choice
powdered bullion or salt

1. some people buy filets, but if you catch your own…chop into four to five pieces including the head and tail (even if you don’t plan to serve them)
  2. chop tomatos and onions (three to four scotch bonnet peppers is customary but optional)
  3. medium sized pot should be wide enough for all ingredients (mabye 10")
  4. place all chopped ingredients into pot at medium heat; do NOT add water
  5. let simmer and monitor (adding boullion or salt as desired) until clear oily water is drawn from the ingredients and fish is fluffy white texture
  6. remove from heat and serve with white, brown or black rice

edit: after typing i realize this is impossible to share over the internet, ah well

I live in an apartment right above a street full of restaurants, so I probably eat out a lot more than I should :slight_smile:

please also send my gratitude and thanks to your wife for sharing this doc wih me!

so many great ideas in here

About to sit down to homemade lasagne that my husband made, 2nd day (always better the next day!) He makes the tomato sauce recipe that was handed down from my Italian great-grandmother’s side (well, sans the sausage, as I’m veg.)

On Winter days he is fond of making soups - curried lentil was the last. Oh… and we just had Roman Gnocchi (made with wheat, not potato) with rosemary and gruyere cheese that is out of this world…

… Yeah, I’m spoiled!

i eat very little sugar (fruits even - mostly lemons) and because of that cider has been tricky as most are too sweet for my palette. fortunately there’s a new cider in town (LA) called 101 cider house. the sugar content is 0 - very dry, sour and lovely. bonus points for getting experimental and offering varieties that include things like prickly pear (it’s pink!), hops & activated charcoal. raw and probiotic!

This reminds me: In John Cage’s book Empty Words there is an essay/poem called Where are We Eating? and What Are We Eating? which is a sort of cubist travelog of food eaten while on the road with Merce Cunnigham dance troupe. It’s really really tasty!