Mm.. Food (What are you eating?)

beans, estillo alta california del sur

usamos frijoles pintos aqui
-pinto beans
and now peruanos (mayocoba) beans are in fashion… softer, buttery beans (not from peru, although they are yellow, they’re from Sinaloa)

only rule to remember- no salt until the end!

sort beans, remove any rocks or dirt
place a couple cups of beans in a pot
talavera tastes best, but any pot’ll do

add oil
add garlic (abuelita removed the green shoot in the clove center, easy)
add water (about 2/3 of the way up the pot
like, beans are way covered by a lot)
boil water in pot, covered (with a lid or bowl)
reduce flame to medium high
cook for awhile
add water if necessary,
remove lid to reduce, if necessary
cook until beans start to wrinkle/crack
add salt
add chile powder
cook for 1/2 hour more

buen provecho

At this very minute, lentils with spices, onion, tomatoes and ginger. Yummy.

I just entered my 29th year of being vegetarian. Never tried being a vegan, mainly because I like milk a lot and use it as a recovery drink after training.

Since moving to Jakarta I’ve been eating a lot of nasi gudeg. So far I’ve only found one place that lives up to my memories of eating gudeg in Solo. I can’t order gado gado without hearing this song in my head.

My wife(indo) and me never heard of the song. It is kinda funny

you all know this style, right? :grinning:
heat up tortillas right on the gas flame

’now we’re cooking with gas (american slang for 'livin it up!) -someone’s grandpa used to say
and avocados

pretty sure I still say it… all. the. time. :laughing:
doing tortillas like that reminds me of cooking roti, which is tremendously fun!
something deliciously primal about cooking over direct flame even if it is in the house.

jamaica :slight_smile:

kool-aid’s not really for me, but jamaica!
it’s funny
in méxico, the drink the flower the island are called Jamaica
in USA, it’s hibiscus, jamaica, Jamaica
in Jamaica it’s called 'sorrel

it’s easy, and made to cut the heat
-maybe for you Southern Hemisphere folk, now :slight_smile: or anywhere it’s hot
start by grabbing a handful of dried hibiscus leaves, put them in a glass jar of good water (like whatever you use to make sun tea with…) add a handful of sweetener (sugar, honey, agave etc…)
place the jar in the sun for a couple of hours
Shake it up a couple times
chill, and/or serve over ice

This is what’s going down today:

Oh yeah…

Some reading material:

If you wander the grounds of the monastery, it becomes clear that Jeong Kwan has another rare ingredient in her larder, one that rarely comes up in discussions about the latest hot chef: time. Cooking, for her, might be seen as the ultimate long game. She specializes in pairing what’s freshly plucked with what’s patiently funkified. On a roof at the monastery, just up the way from her garden, she keeps an open-air arsenal of urns and vats that teem with invisible activity. These are her secret weapons: condiments like soy sauce, doenjang (bean paste) and gochujang (chile paste) that have been fermenting and evolving in slow motion. Some of these age not for weeks, but for years. She grabs a spoon, opens a ceramic pot, reaches in and lets me taste a soy sauce that has spent a full decade inching toward deliciousness. Propped up with supports right outside Kwan’s residence is a citrus tree, whose fruit is known as a taengja, or hardy orange. The tree is about 500 years old. It still bears fruit, and Kwan uses its sour juice in her cooking.

And this seems like the most Zen idea of all: that one of the world’s greatest chefs can often be found mapping out her meals in silence and solitude, plucking mint leaves in a garden that feels far, far away from anything resembling preening egos and gastronomic luxury. But she seems to know that positive energy has a habit of finding its way out into the wider world. One day, after we have toured the temple, she leads me down to a small bridge that crosses over a creek. We stand on the bridge and she touches her hand to her ear. She wants me to listen. So we listen: She and I simply stand there by the water for a couple of minutes, listening to the sound of the current. Then she smiles — it really is like a ray of light, this smile — and points to the creek and utters a single word in English, as she looks into my eyes.

‘‘Orchestra,’’ she says.

Did you see that Chef’s Table episode about her? That show is quite cool, but I’m getting increasingly tired of the melodramatic production value that almost distracts me from the brilliance of the visuals and story. My girlfriend insists it’s always been there though ha. Still a cool show. We just watched the one on the Russian chef at White Rabbit in Moscow this morning.

I’ve only seen the first season. I have some television to catch up on!

Oo, nice thread.

I’ve been cutting out refined sugar since last Sunday. And trying to get more veg into the family diet. Going pretty well so far. Tonight’s dinner was a lovely root veg “cake” using up leftover roast veggies.

Blitz veggies in processor
Add rosemary, thyme, garlic,
Blitz again
Stir thru 2 eggs, chopped pistachios and some flour
Bake in a cake tin.
Goes nice with leafy salad with something “zesty” in it.

This is the taste sensation of the weekend…

I’m a home cook. Gas range, lots of cast iron, basic skills. Outside the home, but influencing my practice are my friends who are bakers, butchers, cook for a living, and/or work at the farms and farmers markets and worker owned co-ops in the area. A few days a week I work at a local coffee roastery, making coffee. I take all of this beautiful delicious stuff we’re blessed with so personally, and have for so long now… yet feel like I’m still only beginning to do it justice in the kitchen.

Oooh! We’re going to have to include some oroblanco in our next row of citrus trees, sounds yummy!

I’ve been trying to casually explore Uyghur culture after meeting some asylum seekers in NY back in 2009…looking into what I could find about their people

Music is always the first gateway and was easy enough to dig for but I wasn’t able to try the food from that region at all (or travel to Xinjiang)

Anyway, here’s an untested recipe I just found…

10 to 12 servings

Pilaf-type dishes are found in many cultures; this simple and hearty version with lamb is widely made in Xinjiang.

The rice is first rinsed and soaked, and then steams atop a bubbling mixture of meat and vegetables. It is also perfumed by cumin seed, which softens and mellows in the process. Cooked chickpeas or peeled apple is sometimes added to the mix.

Serve with a salad of thinly sliced cucumber, onion and tomatoes.

From Patiguli Baikeli and chef Sayit Akhral.

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 large white onion, sliced

3 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 4 or 5 large pieces (fat not trimmed)

2 1/2 pounds large carrots, cut crosswise on the diagonal, then into 1/2-inch matchsticks

4 cups boiling water

1 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 tablespoon salt

5 1/2 cups medium-grain white rice

1 tablespoon cumin seed

Pomegranate seeds, for garnish (arils; optional)

• Heat the oil in a large, wide, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once the oil shimmers, stir in the onion. Cook for about 6 minutes, stirring a few times, or until some of it begins to get crisped on the edges. Add the meat and sear on all sides, turning the pieces as needed; this will take 8 to 10 minutes.

• Add the carrots and stir to coat, then pour in 2 cups of the boiling water and add the turmeric, using a spatula to dislodge any browned bits on the bottom. Give the mixture a good stir; once it’s boiling, add the salt. Make sure the meat is submerged; cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. The liquid in the pot should be at a steady, low boil.

• Meanwhile, place the rice in a large mixing bowl. Cover with cool water and rinse, drain and repeat two more times. Fill with water again, covering the rice by 1/2 inch or so. Let sit for 20 minutes.

• Add the remaining 2 cups of boiling water to the pot.

• Spread large spoonfuls of the rice carefully over the surface of the what’s in the pot, spreading it evenly for complete coverage; you don’t want the rice to mix into the bubbling liquid at all. (The rice is going to steam atop the meat and vegetables below.) Cook for 5 minutes, then scatter the cumin seed evenly over the rice. Reduce the heat to medium-low; cover tightly and cook, undisturbed, for 30 minutes until the rice is tender.

• Uncover; gently stir enough to find all the pieces of meat and transfer them to a cutting board. Stir to incorporate the rice and vegetables; turn off the heat. The grains of rice should not be sticking together.

• Cut the meat into 3/4-inch pieces, discarding any fat that hasn’t rendered, if desired.

To serve, divide the meat atop generous portions of the polow. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, if using.

for a bit more context

I know we’ve discussed it Glia, but the pre-Mongol Uyghurs were the focus of my masters thesis and I studied Uyghur at IU for an intensive summer language program (where we cooked some good polo).

I’m definitely a huge admirer of many aspects of their culture.

There’s a Uyghur place somewhere way out in Brooklyn that I’ve never made it to - maybe in the Coney Island area? Xian Western Foods has some nice spicy Chinese/Uyghur/Xinjiang foods and that’s on the same block as my sister in NYC :slight_smile:

Yeah I was gonna DM you this article and then after seeing the included recipe saw it as an excuse to share more widely

I’m stunned that there are now several restaurants near my home and job. One of them is next door to a very popular Korean market in town and I’m not exactly sure how I missed it…

I had left the US when activated charcoal ice cream was taking off, but now I’ve arrived to where it came from. Today I tried Gelato Secret’s Bamboo Charcoal gelato. Went surprisingly well with manggo harum manis.

What on earth… activated charcoal ice cream??

A workmate gave me an egg of her geese cause I had never seen one. So my friend and me blew it out and had a scrambled egg (with chives) and fried potatoes.

Geese seem to be bigger than chicken…