Mobenthy/Ciat-Lonbarde (synthmall) thread

Impulsively purchased a shnth in the middle of the night on Saturday and whoa! It is already here. Playing with this squishy, button-y beauty is fantastic.

Has anyone tried using a DI box with a tocante to eliminate ground hum with any success? I was thinking of getting one of these https://www.hhb.co.uk/product/art-xdirect/400/

Hello! I wanted to ask advice on a potential IFM case/instrument. I’m building a Mobenthey set in August at a DIY event in SF with Peter Blasser, and I have a Structure EP-96 coming to put the modules in (thanks @fever606!)

I’m wondering if folks have ideas for a module or 3 that either compliment IFM well or else fill in gaps in the set, as with the set and this case, there is 24hp to play with. Things I’m thinking about:

• I’m not terribly into micro modules or 2hp-like modules, though my first pass does have W/ in it.
  • I don’t think effects are warranted here, though if there’s an effect that is peas to IFM carrots I’m happy to hear about it, but generally I’m happy for effects to be outboard
  • In terms of what kind of music I’m looking to make, I actually want the modules to dictate that. Obviously I will make compositional choices but I plan to let the modules explain what they want to do, initially. But so, modules that mesh well with the sound and design of the IFM modules would be ideal.

I suppose I could get two Mr. Grassi’s and call it done, but there are probably better ideas :slight_smile:

This is a first idea:

I figured Walk would give me some playability, Teletype & Grid some sequencing, and W/ some layering and delay in a pinch. This modules also all have the benefit that I own them :slight_smile: But it also occurs to me this case might want a couple utility modules in here.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Looks interesting! I only have a swoop, dunst and sprott so I’m only speaking with the limited experience i have but the first things that spring to mind are:

• I think some offsets and attenuators would be useful. a great thing about the IMF modules is that almost all the inputs have attenuators but specifically the swoop BOUNCE inputs (which don’t) can benefit from having attenuated modulation signals or fixed offsets. This helps dial in specific behaviour and even frequencies.

• I find square wave and gate signals useful/ I like using Batumi with the expert firmware sending stepped random through the modules. In quadrature mode you get rhythmic craziness. Also straight up sine waves on some of the modulation points are great, especially if you can easily dial in the frequency.

• I think physical control is great. I have a small system set up at the moment with my IFM and and pressure points. I haven’t had much time with it yet but am expecting it to work well given the IMF touch controllers and Meng Qi’s touch controllers that he makes fro Ciat Lonbarde instruments.

This is by no means exhaustive and is only opinion, I don’t think anything would not work. However I do think that teletype is not great in the sense that one of the great things about IFM is the immediacy and that no action results in the expected outcome even when repeated so having something methodical/clinical like teletype is a bit counter intuitive. Having said that, if I owned teletype, and wasn’t using it elsewhere, I would use it because it is a very useful source of voltage and gates.

I’d also always recommend putting W/ anywhere.

yes. i tried two, the first was in a recording studio, was able to eliminate very well ground hum – now i am using another one borrowed from a friend, not so good/very cheap, and cutting a lot of low end with eq… i think this one you linked will not work because peter suggests a PASSIVE DI BOX :wink:

Could you send a link to one you’ve had some success with?

I’m using this cheap Palmer DI with the tocantes and CL stuff in general: https://www.thomann.de/de/palmer_pan_04.htm

:+1: Hey thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

…on the subject of recommendations — I’m waiting on a Crank Multi Plunk!

I’ve had a Plumbutter for a few weeks and the lack of v/8 tracking in my life reminded me of this post mentioning IFM stuff and the Teletype. Despite being a subversion of the intention of PB by “normalizing” it, would the TT theoretically be able to make an AVDog in Trad mode properly sing Do-Re-Mi or whathaveyou if one figured out the right voltages? It’s probably nonsensical and not worth the effort, I’m just curious.

Although I’ve lusted after a Plumbutter I’m not particularly up on its various sections and functionality. From the TT side, yes you can generate quantized CV but that wouldn’t be helpful because the Plumbutter is banana? not sure what voltages it expects… Hainbach generated some Plumbutter samples and noted that although he’d tried to get A 440hz, the Plumbutter drifted because that is in its nature. My guess is trying to tame PB is probably futile

The different formats shouldn’t be an issue- you’d just need a converter box or module that includes a shared ground between the banana and Euro system from what I understand. E.g. Meng Qi’s Brass or Make Noise’s long discontinued Format Jumbler are Euro modules that do this. As far as expected voltages, the Deerhorn (theremin) section of PB puts out 0 to +10v from its CV output according to someone who scoped it on MW, so I don’t think there’d be a problem there either. You (and Hainbach) are certainly right though that it’s a matter of PB wanting to cooperate, but I thought maybe the precise CV you could get out of TT might make this silliness possible.

Any pitch CV should be precise enough to check I guess - I’m keen to know too as Plumbutter is very much on my radar and its ability to play with friends matters

Does anyone have some simple demo audio of Denum and Dunst? I had my eye on them for a while but forgot about it when Blasser stopped selling them individually, but a friend is heading to NY next week and they’re both in stock at CTRL…

If no one else comes through, that gives me something to do tonight playing with the camera I got pretty explicitly to make modular videos with and my small IFM case.

Denum is in my opinion the least haunted of the 5 :slight_smile: easiest to understand.

I made a Denum video last night. Downloaded Adobe Premiere and am learning to do basic text overlay this morning so I can add captions. Will put up on YouTube later, and then start exploring Dunst.

I used to have a Dunst and this soundcloud clip below helped me understand it a little bit before I bought one:

What’s your YouTube URL?

Finally ordered a Swoop. I look forward to participating here, beyond reading/listening.

Swoop and Mr Grassi are the only IFM modules that survived the purge of 2018 for me. Grassi is amazing and may one day render my benjolin obsolete

Hey this was fun to make!

I’ll add links to sections in the YouTube description for people who don’t have the patience for a 20 minute video, which I suspect is many folks.