Mobenthy/Ciat-Lonbarde (synthmall) thread

I patch both of mine (DK and Mosstone) with the Coco and Sidrax and have had no issues (make sure you run ground cable between all). I know that the Lorre Mill boxes can’t take negative voltages (0 - +8) and I’ve read that you should never patch the brown jacks from the Plumbutter. Best bet would likely be to email Will and run it by him.

EDIT - FYI there’s a lot of good info in this thread - The Double Knot - synth

I blew a transistor of the sequencer on my DK when I paired it with the Plumbutter (and yes I avoided the brown jacks of the PB2), repair was easy, but would be very cautious without filtering the negative spikes.

MQ Voltage Memory with Sidrax. Is the workflow:

1. Tune Sidrax to the same note for each bar
  2. Use the VM to tune a scale
  3. Save to a bank

Does the VM work well with Sidrax, I’m thinking it could be a useful extension for playing?

Damn! I’m sorry to hear that, but thank you for sharing! I’m thinking that I might just make a box of opamp buffers or just diodes.

Just plumbutter (thru erbeverb).

I think I did this as well ;_;

Did you repair yourself or send it in to Will?

Peter Blasser will do a Tocante workshop in Berlin on Feb 9th 2019

Little bit of a cross post from the //// pictures //// thread, but got a bone nut made for my Shtar:

Before:

After:

Did a quick recording of my aforementioned Lil Sidrassi

Someone on the noiseguide forum gear setups thread asked me for a review of the Dunst so might as well paste it here too in case anyone’s interested :slight_smile:

• tbh it is a LOT more expensive than I’d ever pay for what it does, if it weren’t by Peter Blasser. But i’ve wanted to own one of his instruments for yearsss so i got it :3
  • really interesting and useful module tho don’t get me wrong with quite a few ins and outs: basically theres’ a random-triangle-ish bipolar VCLFO that goes from realllly slow to a a little way into the audio range, a trigger/pulse out that matches that (fun for triggering indeterminate kick drums I find), a source of ‘dust’/crackle, a white noise source, two inverse-linked VCAs.
  • beautiful object of course :slight_smile: I like the raw-pcb bare copper aesthetic he uses with these.

Cons:

• the ‘Dust’ (which i mainly wanted it for) and the white noise outputs are really subtle/quiet! :-/ I still get nice stuff out of them by boosting it elsewhere in the patch but then again unwanted noise/interference if too much gain after them :frowning: wish they were as loud as the triangle/pulse outs, maybe there’s some mod possible…

• you can’t use the 2 VCAs totally independently, they work in a connected way that i haven’t quite fully got to grips with (“If the left input is greater than right, sound goes out the “left out”. If right is greater than left, sound goes out the “right out”. The voltage amount of difference maps to loudness in these channels”) but anyway that’s by design and I can just use a normal VCA for normal VCA stuff.

• he sent it packaged with some stinky taxidermied bird’s wing which was a bit horrible :smiley: tho it entertained the cats for a little while

• I got import taxed ordering to UK from USA. :frowning: but that’s just luck of the draw.

The manual is worth a read - http://synthmall.com/ifm/ifmDUN.pdf

Thanks for the review. I agree with all of that pretty much. Definitely his most subtle module.

I actually really like the weird/joined VCA things, so having an extra pair of them on the Dunst is a nice perk.

This x 1000.

I don’t know nearly enough to go in there snooping around, but it would be great to have both of those outputs be significantly louder. The noise noise in particular is almost useless as it stands. Which is a shame since you have the built in triangle trigger which would make for a killer Plumbutter snare, but only if you go out into another module to boost the noise and then back again.

When I had one Peter told me to adjust the trimmer on the back of the pcb to get louder noise outputs, but it still capped out at not too loud.

If you haven’t played with that trimmer it could be worth trying.

I’ve played with the trimmer, but that seems to just effect how busy the quantum noise is, not how loud it is. I did get it to somewhere I liked though, but yeah, still on the quiet side of things.

Oh cool, thanks for the info. Will have to look into / fiddle with that :slight_smile:

Why is this under “cons”?

for that matter why did i have cons without a ‘pros’ section per se? :smiley:

Just had a go at adjusting mine, turned it as far as it seemed to make any difference, now it goes all the way up to nice white-ish noise :slight_smile:

Discovered (even before adjusting) that if i add positive CV to it you can take it up from crackles to noise. with high voltages it turns to white noise + gets suddenly louder! but beyond a certain point it then stops making sound at all.

It’s been a while since I look at it, but if you run it through an oscilloscope you can see what’s happening more clearly. I think it impacts what the threshold for being considered “dust” is or something like that.