MOD Duo, Duo X, & Dwarf Pedals

Hey Folks
My MOD DUO arrived today and i am gong to spend a month sharpening my Gen~ skills
Anyone for tennis?

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/read/review-mod-duo-multi-effects-pedal/022661

4 Likes

and already has some hooks for Max obviously

I’d be interested in hearing your impressions of the MOD DUO from a basic user’s perspective (i.e., what’s the user experience for someone who’s not going to do any coding?).

As embedded computing powers have progressed, I’ve been looking for a live audio effects solution along the lines of what the MOD DUO claims to be. I’d love to have a single box with the capability to run multiple parallel effects channels, with granular and/or spectral effects, and with somewhat decent audio quality — essentially, a little effects computer that’s not a laptop, and thus is more stable than a laptop (and also isn’t the same damn thing that I do all my word processing on).

So with that said, when you’ve had some time to mess around with it, could you share your thoughts on it, on whether it’s a live effects powerhouse or more of a tinkerer’s play-box?

I’d much appreciate it.

3 Likes

Im interested in how feasible the mod could be as an alternative to an eventide h9. Would it be able to process that heavy a load, and, are there comparable (or more interesting) msp/gen~ patches.

1 Like

Are there functional differences between the pedal and MODEP? I mean, obviously the Raspberry Pi lacks the rugged case, foot switches and displays, but if you weren’t planning to use it on stage, would a PiSound be more cost effective?

I will give it from that but i am actually going to program it with gen~
I started with raspberry years ago, then i tried a few other Beagle etc…
Then obviously Organelle~/pd
and i recently grabbed an OWL pedal too [Pd, DSP] but i felt that it’s really a trimmed down restricted scenarios so i am hoping for a little more wiggle room with patching/coding in Max to come up with something that is not just another chorus or reverb.
I will say that i had originally tried this endeavor with TiTop Z-Dsp and that was VERY disappointing --almost misleading if you really pressed me.
And i did not take to the teletype, not to say i won’t revisit it but i was getting way into Tidalcycles and i had to focus on something at that point

1 Like

i think that would be cool because i know max is good at lists/menus etc

new video for Mod Duo:

I know this is an onld question, but nobody seems to have answered and maybe you’re still interested in the answer.
I don’t think there’s big differences. The software seems to be the same since afaik for now there’s only open source lv2 plugins that run on it (I do have a Pisound, bit no MOD DUO, so I can’t directly compare).

Came across the Mod Duo X from Mod Devices by accident, sort of, and while it certainly looks intrigueing, has anyone actually tried it? Seems there are very few actual user experiences out there … and since the price tag is pretty hefty ($749), some solid input would be nice before considering more.

I have the original mod duo and the zynthian which runs the ui id you want. It’s a delightful interface and very straight forward. Kind of like a virtual pedalboard kind of like a light version of vcv but the plugins are generally high quality although almost all open source lv2 plugins. But the plus is that means you could test many of them without the hardware or interface.

It’s fairly immediate to put a patch together. My gripe is your pedalboards don’t switch instantly so moving from one complex patch to another isn’t really performance ready. Instead you have to build it all onto a single space and toggle your pedals/effects which uses more memory

I’m trying to sell the mod and keep the zynthian which is more flexible imp but the x is closer to the zynth and has a lot more desktop tweak ability

1 Like

A cheap way to try out the Mod from a software point of view is to get a Pisound board and a Raspberry PI. You can then install Modep, which is – at least IIRC – the same software that runs on the Mod Duo. Of course this does not give you the convenient hardware UI of the Mod Duo pedals, which tbh are quite essential, but it will let you get a feeling of what the ecosystem has to offer.

1 Like

I love my pisound. Its easy to control with external midi controllers like a fightertwister or mcmillan foot board. I just bought a second one.

Exactly. The zynth is built on pi and runs modui like this. The mod hardware is amazingly well built.

question: are i-o dc-coupled on one or all of the mod products? can we use them to output (and or record) cv?

Rather than create an entirely new thread for the dwarf I thought I’d add this tidbit in here. From KS page.

Major OS update is coming while a lot of MOD Dwarfs are leaving the “mother ship”

July 23, 2021

In the last couple of weeks, we have been onboarding new MOD family members, shipping a lot of devices and also getting groundbreaking new features for the MOD Dwarf!

Follow through with this update to learn more details.

In development at the moment

We are working on new features that will become available with the v1.11 firmware update.

HMI Widgets

This is a big feature that allows plugins to take control of the LED and parameter name and value fields on the device controller.

The feature is fully implemented, with only a few bugs left to sort out.

The first plugin that uses this feature is the “DIE FluidSynth” plugin, which is capable of loading SF2/SF3 files. It has its on/off toggle LED blink while loading a new file. This was done as a proof of concept, and it already works great on our development firmware!

The Looperlative plugins which are currently in development will make heavy use of this feature, for example, to show the loop status by colouring the LED.

As you can see, this feature will allow for much tighter integration between the device controller, and plugin parameters.

Managing banks, pedalboards and snapshots from the device

Another big improvement that we have been working on is the ability to manage your banks, pedalboards and snapshots directly from the device, without using a computer.

Once available, you will be able to:

• Pedalboards: Save, Save-as, Delete, Reorder in the list of pedalboards

• Snapshots: Save, Save-as, Delete, Reorder in the list of snapshots

• Banks: Create, Delete, Reorder in the list of banks

• Remove pedalboards from a bank, Add pedalboards to a bank

In order to do this, we had to design a way to input text using the knobs and buttons available on the device. This will also be very useful in the future for other features in development.

The device controller side is nearly finished (it just needs some polishing), and development on the operating system side has been started.

Input and output processing

This feature will bring three main things: a noisegate, a compressor and a way to control the pedalboard gain. All are available from the device, without needing to address any parameters for it.

Input processing

The noisegate allows users to gate the input signal whenever it falls below a user-configurable threshold. This is particularly interesting for those using high-gain sounds. It being built-in as a system plugin means that you will be able to activate it directly from the device menu.

Output processing

The compressor helps us to not clip the device’s audio outputs. You will have to be less careful when managing your signal levels inside your pedalboard because small amounts of clipping are entirely eliminated by the extremely transparent sounding compression algorithm. Less worrying, more fun!

The pedalboard gain control will allow you to quickly and easily turn up or down the gain before the signal gets converted from digital to analog. This is useful not only to prevent clipping on a pedalboard that is just a tad too loud but also to make sure the signal level is loud enough for pedalboards that are too quiet.

The noisegate and compressor both need a few last tweaks to their parameter ranges and default values, but are otherwise ready and fully functioning. The pedalboard gain control is completely ready.

1 Like

Hey, how are you finding the Dwarf? What are you using it for and how?

I currently have two Mod Duo X (one has never been taken out the box, and should probably look at selling it), and I really like what it (they) can do for me.

One use case, is running the octatrack mk2 into one input and routing it through a mastering chain, whilst simultaneously using the MDX as a midi host for a controller. I’m then routing the outputs to a Tascam recorder as well as to the DAW or when playing live, to the foh desk.

I’ve also been using Dexxed as an extra synth for playing out when required, with various fx routed as well.

Cheers

Ah, I haven’t yet received mine. I opted for the last batch from crowd funding as we will be doing 2 house moves this year and there was a danger it’d get lost.

I intend to use it primarily to be a portable, amp and cab sim for guitar recording.

1 Like

I love that it is something different, depending on who is using it.

Not being a guitarist, I largely ignore the cabs and other guitar - centric devices, but there’s loads. And stuff is being added all the time.

The forum is really great as well. The dev team really interact with users and happily discuss feature requests, and implent based on these interactions.

The next update should add some nice user friendly updates to make the experience even more fluid.

I’ve been researching the Dwarf and have to say I’m intrigued. Couple of things I’m unclear about:

1. Is Ableton Link over Wifi-Dongle supported?
  2. Does the Looperlative plugin work yet?
  3. Is class compliant USB audio (both ways) supported?
  4. Is a good IR loader for guitar cab IRs available?

Hope some users can chime in here. Thanks!