Modern alternative to Griddle for merging monomes/arduinomes?

Hi everyone - monome.org old-timer checking in after a long absence.

I have a 128 arduinome that’s comprised of two 8x8 grids in a single case (Starfire boards, if memory serves). In the past I’ve used Griddle by @artfwo to merge these two 64s into a virtual 128. However, I’m trying to set things up on a new Windows 10 install and have run into problems.

From my searching, I gather that Griddle uses zeroconf - but the modern version of serialosc doesn’t, and hence Griddle is no longer working. Is there a modern alternative to Griddle that people are using to merge separate monomes or arduinomes into a single virtual device?

Any help greatly appreciated!

1 Like

serialosc still uses zeroconf if it’s available on your system, but unfortunately modern apps don’t rely on it anymore (pages should still work though).

i’ve been doing my grid explorations with custom pymonome apps since then and that kind functionality is partially supported in the pymonome library (read the thread). but going that way means that you either write your things using pymonome as well, or write a proxy griddle-like app that will communicate with patches directly.

Thanks so much for the quick reply @artfwo - that’s really helpful and very kind of you. I’ve had a quick skim through the Pymonome thread and it does sound like it might address the problem, although my lack of familiarity with Python means I’m going to have to go through it more carefully to try to digest it!

I’ll let you know how I get on once I’ve had time to work through it. Thanks again!

I own two Monome 40h/64s. In certain contexts, I would like to essentially combine them together to function as a 16x8 grid. This is particularly useful for programs designed specifically for that layout. I want one 40h to take all the inputs and outputs on one side and the other to take everything on the right side so they function as essentially one device.

This seemed to have been possible with the old monomeserial software using offsets. I am trying to replicate that using serialosc.

These threads have some related discussion:

also in the works is a grid-virtualization scheme, allowing a method for implementing robust grid splitting.

I can’t seem to find if that feature made it into serialosc.

Has anyone set up something similar? I run Linux, so using Max/MSP patches is not really an option.

1 Like

it didn’t. serialosc handles multiple devices with rotation and stuff pretty gracefully, so this is a simple thing to do in the client. (you didn’t say what your client is except that it’s not Max.)

for example, using pymonome you could make two Grid objects with the two device IDs, and manually map them to a single GridBuffer object. there is GridWrapper class that makes shims cleaner. a GridSplitter is implemented. i’m sure GridSpanner would be a welcome PR.

1 Like

hey, @carl, i’ve just pushed arc support in pymonome together with some api changes that will facilitate grid spanning use cases. i suggest we continue the discussion in the pymonome thread.

1 Like