Modulars / Euroracks that AREN'T synths

After watching Daedalus’ talk at Switched On [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZjeR7eLyWU] I became very interested in how his modular setup ISN’T a synthesizer. I thought it would be valuable to create a thread to share ideas and actualities of modular systems that aren’t synthesizers.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing the video, I hadn’t seen it.

I’ve also been thinking of putting together a dj system with the modular, but based on feeding stems from a laptop via an ES8. Using an STS is interesting, but has a lot of drawbacks as well (mono only, no way to cue, no way to browse a big selection of tracks). The main things holding me back is cost, and the ergonomics of eurorack: a proper dj mixer is about the same size as a 6U 84HP, fitting all that functionality into a smaller space means big sacrifices in usability. What I’ll probably end up doing instead is adding a four channel effects rig to my existing laptop and dj mixer setup.

If you follow the discussion from this post in the pictures thread, there’s a very interesting use of a modular as a non-synth device.

I’ve been working with a modular designed to function specifically with a computer and Max, through an ES8:

Going to add a few modules to complete the case soon. Likely a Mir VCA, Marbles, Frap 321…

Potentially resting on something like this:

It’s been about a year now, and I’ve found it super fun and productive. Trying to think along the lines of eco-systemic composition between computer and modular…

3 Likes

My modular has always been centered around sound processing + sampling/sample manipulation. I have a skiff where I have some synthesis modules housed but my main case is the one shown above.

13 Likes

I think a box like this as a kind of minimal DJ rig would be very fun.
I’ll probably build something like it one day.

5 Likes

So, no more Rainmaker?

YES Rainmaker. the version above was for a quad show and I reconfigured a bit to fit the matrix mixer and a few other pieces in. I’ll have to update with a more current variation.

2 Likes

out of curiosity there a particular way you use rainmaker usually? I loved the resonant sounds that were in that one video you did once

I use it a lot of creating long delay lines with spatialization and pitch variation effects.

3 Likes

I’m in the process of separating my rig into two cases, one full of Synthy McSynth, one full of Effecty Effects. This is mainly because I’ve over-complicated my live set-up far too much. My last two gigs I had trouble keeping everything in tune and in sync-, and I kinda felt like “Man… I used to love just dragging a tiny mono-synth with me that just worked, but I just love access to all my modular effects”. Then I realised that the two weren’t mutually exclusive (like, duh! but it took me a while).

So next gig I’m going to try taking my MicroBrute for with this skiff:

Something I’m thinking about currently is to use the modular as a sequencer for computer based stuff. So the core concept would be to push cv to the es-8 and translate it to usable data in ableton. Nothing revolutionary but different from the “modular as effect box”

2 Likes