Module damaged during shipping

Some days ago a sold a Rainmaker on Modulargrid, I wrapped it in the same bubblewrap that intellijel used when i got it and that’s what happened.
http://www.casimages.com/i/180216074527921080.jpg.html
Being that this is the first time i have to face this kind of problem I’m asking for help.
These are the options, in my opinion:
1)That seems like an easy fix, so I could pay the shipping to have the module back, fix it, and then pay to send it back to the buyer.
2)If the buyer can fix it or knows somebody who can, i can send him a partial refund.
3)Just take the module back a give a full refund.

Then there’s the problem between me and UPS. How should i procede? Is there any way i can get a refund from them?

Thanks for the help ::worried:

I would lean towards giving the buyer a credit to fix it themselves (if they can) or taking it back altogether. I don’t think option 1 is all that appealing as it leaves the door open for future issues.

I would add to this that if the buyer offers to fix it themselves, then they are assuming all future liability regarding any future issues that come up. This isn’t really practical to implement so if they balk, then I would just issue a refund and get the unit back.

UPS may refund their shipping cost but basic coverage stops at $100 so that’s all that’s on the table. I don’t think its a $100 fix, even if you sent it back to Intellijel so it may be worth pursuing if you have definitive pictures.

EDIT: just remember each time you ship it you are creating an opportunity for something bad to happen.

1 Like

UPS will be difficult because there’s a burden of proof on you or the receiver to prove that it was damaged during shipping. If the package isn’t damaged and the module was damaged from movement inside the box, that’s on you.

2 Likes

I’d lean heavily towards option 1 if the buyer is amicable or option 3 if not.

depending on the insurance purchased (or not) from UPS and how much you try to claim as damages, you might actually have an easy time with this. my experiences with shipping damage (at my work and personally) have typically gone okay and sometimes surprisingly well, and it seems inconsistent how much information they require.

edit: option 2 could be fine if you are really comfortable with the person and you also make clear that after the partial refund that you can’t accept further responsibility should it be damaged in the meantime etc.

1 Like

File a claim with UPS.They have been messing up way too many times gear to plenty people I know (me included).They completely destroyed a pair of Focals a few weeks ago to one of my associates.

They will try to deflect, but stand ground.

1 Like

If the receiver knows how to solder it’s obviously a 10 second fix… but if not I see how it can be an ordeal. If they can solder I’d refund them some cash for the trouble and file a claim with UPS just in case.

1 Like

at least its an easy fix… i mean really easy.

i’ve never filed an insurance claim with UPS. but have had done so twice with fedex, for extreme damage on high-value items (full B&A 200e systems)

in both cases, the claims went absolutely nowhere. they required ridiculous catch-22 levels of “proof” from both us (the manufacturer) and the receiver, they sent out “investigators” and spent literally years stalling. like, they asked for photographs of the received package, months and months after the incident. it was a complete scam.

this of course was for items in flight cases with fitted foam. one time, the flight case itself had been dented in, on one corner hinges totally destroyed. like it had been hit by a truck (maybe it had.) of course the system case and the modules within were also badly damaged.

there was an extra layer of catch-22 nonsense because they wouldn’t accept that we were the manufacturers, and demanded a third-party evaluation of the cost of repair / replacement.

maybe others have had better experiences with shipping insurance claims, but that’s mine. i’m sure for a smaller claim it would have been easier - probably all this extra nonsense kicks in above $5k or something.

1 Like

Turned out the receiver knows how to solder it back in place.
I offered technical help, but I also stated that I won’t be responsible for the damages that may occur during and after the fixing.

2 Likes