Monitor

Monitor Toolkit

A small kit of MIDI utilities to transpose and route midi messages through the Norns. I have this AKAI midi keyboard that cannot connect directly into my Elta Polivoks, I usually run it through my laptop, but I figured it might be more fun to simply go through the Norns instead.

The issue was that the Поливокс only listens to one channel, I needed to give my keyboard the power to target a specific channel, and also down-transpose -24 so it aligns with that weird russian specs. I hope this comes in handy to someone else. :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

Monitor Controls

• Knob 2, change output channel.
  • Knob 3, transpose outgoing note.

Sequencer Controls

• turn knob1, change length.
  • turn knob2, change position.
  • turn knob3, change value.
  • hold key2, change BPM.
  • hold key3, change division.
  • press midi key, change root note.

Download Monitor

23 Likes

Demos

11 Likes

Added a tiny sequencer(sequencer.lua) to the library. Very simple to use, big possibilities.

Sequencer Controls

• turn knob1, change length.
  • turn knob2, change position.
  • turn knob3, change value.
  • hold key2, change BPM.
  • hold key3, change division.
  • press midi key, change root note.

Video

17 Likes

it would be amazing if you could add midi clock in/out to monitor :partying_face:

2 Likes

This is awesome! Thank for this.

I’m gonna throw in one more request - what if we could combine this with the tuner?! Listen to the incoming audio, and display the note?

The real killer (and I’m sure bigger ) feature would be able to auto-tune with the tap of a button a la the Bastl 1983

1 Like

@sno I can try, but I don’t have anything that can read midi clock.

@xeric The note is displayed at the top right of the sequencer, if you used to the tuner, you’d just get that same note back(if your synth is tuned).

Edit: Wait, I understand, you want to get the tuner to grab the note from the audio in, and send it out via midi, is that right?

1 Like

Haha that’s a big of “if” in my case :wink: playing through my Eurorack it’s definitely easy to bump the pitch knobs (either on purpose or by accident) and want to get back into tune mid performance or jam (I often record in 70 minute continuous sessions in a quartet, so I can’t stop to tune very easily).

No, more what you originally said. Play MIDI notes out, and make sure the audio is in tune with the MIDI. Maybe just displaying offset from the current note? I just realized what Bastl does wouldn’t be possible over MIDI, but it would be good to see how many cents off I am from in tune.

Might be more particular to my setup, I can definitely try and take this on as a personal project instead :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I can try, I’ll look at the tuner example and see if I can include some additional stats to the UI from it :slight_smile: Stay tuned.

2 Likes

I can try, but I don’t have anything that can read midi clock.

thank for that, I can do some testing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed a few bugs and improved the UI.
It now displays how many bars a sequence is.

5 Likes

not only does this script look great but that polivoks sounds awesome

3 Likes

Played with this a bunch this evening! Super stable, going to be using this on a regular basis I think. Hate to pile on feature creep, but I noticed it’s not passing through mod wheel, pitch bend, or aftertouch. I presume that’s a simple change, but I’m not sure.
Cheers!

Ah yeah, it’s only passing through note_on and note_off, I will add more today. I’m currently merging the sequencer with the midi through patch.

4 Likes

Updated the sequencer, fixed bugs improved things.

9 Likes