Monome ansible kria in depth overview and tutorial

In the kria strategies thread I volunteered to make a comprehensive tutorial video to help explain how to use kria, as there were a few people who weren’t quite getting a few things, especially the configuration settings.

Here is my kria video tutorial! I hope that some of you may find it useful in becoming familiar with or learning new things about this fantastic sequencer:

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the video or kria. If the configuration settings still seem a bit confusing, then maybe I’ll make a separate video that demonstrates how the different settings work. But hopefully this video will be enough.

Thanks to @dangriffiths, @SimonKirby, @yobink, @chailight, and @gnome666 for encouraging me to make this video, and to @cosmicsoundexplorer for reviewing it before it went live to make sure there’s no glaring mistakes!

Mods, please feel free to merge this with another thread if you think it more appropriate.

83 Likes

Great job!
It’s nice to have such a comprehensive resource available.
Thanks for putting this together :sparkles::pray::sparkles:

2 Likes

this is fantastic— thank you for taking the time. there are so many new features in kria— it’s great to see an overview as the older videos really just show the fundamentals.

6 Likes

Really looking forward to dig into this tonight. Thanks for your efforts.

1 Like

I noticed the hole and the demand. This is my way of giving back to this community that I have really benefited from! I don’t have things like coding skills to offer so very happy to be able to offer this as something else. Not to mention it was a nice little project to keep me busy for a week during lockdown here in Melbourne :slight_smile: Thank you for all the amazing tools and excellent community that you’ve developed :heart:

15 Likes

thank you so much for this! getting ready to dig in now. :pray: :muscle:

1 Like

Sitting down with this later today - thanks again!

1 Like

Kria is one of my favourites apps. I feel i could do so much with it, but i get lost easily. Thanks for making this video!

1 Like

thank you, this is wonderful

1 Like

It can be easy to get lost, but making sure the configuration settings are what you want will make it all make much more sense!

Man, thanks for taking the time to doing this! Excellent!

1 Like

Haven’t watched this yet but thank you in advance. Kria is the most obtuse mode, so it’s also the one I have put the least time into. I want to change that.

2 Likes

Funny you say that, I felt that it was the most straightforward to get. Always so interesting how different minds take things differently :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just got an Ansible last week and I’ve been learning Kria. This looks like a great companion to the official docs.

P.S. Thanks for the labelled time sections!

1 Like

Wow @Puscha, excellent job on this! Thanks so much for putting this together!

1 Like

This is great - thanks! Very interesting to see which configuration settings you use too - I feel that each of these combinations turns Kria into a different kind of instruments, so it’s intriguing to see how different players set it up differently. I keep my loop lengths unlinked because I love having the alt note page looping at a different length to the main note page to get evolving phased patterns, but it definitely gets a bit confusing at times!

1 Like

Your tutorial was so so helpful. I agree that the configuration settings are critical to getting the “most” or getting what one wants out of Kria. That being said, It would be awesome to see how the different settings can be used for varying effect. I.E. if you take a simple sequence on 2 different tracks, what happens when you change the loop length on the note page when note and gate length are linked, vs unlinked, per track, and across tracks, etc…I find that this is where I often get confused on what the glyphs do. If you have it in your heart to make a video demonstrating those different settings, that would be awesome.

Also, I never realized that the probability function works the way that you explained. From your explanation, I understood that if you made the probability 0, that if there was a gate at that step, it would repeat the same CV/Note from the previous step. Whereas, I had thought that if you made the probability 0, then the note/gate would be skipped. But I suppose that for that behaviour to be true I would have to change the probability to zero on the gate page itself…

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to do this. An up to date tutorial video has been sorely needed for a long time.

2 Likes

fantastic work. thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just want to say a big thankyou for doing this. Awesome work. Kria is my goto workhorse sequencer and this video demystifies it :slight_smile:

2 Likes