Monome Beginner Questions

Rewire worked. Didn’t see that in the settings initially. Awesome.

Anyone know of any options for applications that don’t have rewire, like flin?

can you confirm that serialoscd actually launches properly on reboot? or do you have to manually run it? (this is a confusing fix)

Hey! So since I threw in those terminal commands that @robbbiecloset sent over, it has been working flawlessly. I haven’t physically turned my computer off yet (that I remember), so I’ll try tonight and let you know.

I’m on High Sierra and had these exact issues and the only thing that seemed to work after many reinstalls and resets was @robbiecloset commands. Don’t really understand why. Thanks a lot BTW!

2 Likes

Warning: Potentially dumb questions ahead!

Longtime Ableton producer here who is interested in the monome world, but is having a difficult time figuring out the basics. I see a lot of videos on youtube showing overhead shots of a monome and people pressing buttons, but have yet to come across any videos showing the computer side of things, i.e. MLR or the applications being utilized. I fully understand that the monome is just a box of lights that can be used in tandem with open source software, but why can’t I find any videos or written tutorials of said software, i.e. MLR? I assume that MLR is a standalone piece of software that I can install on my computer in which I can drop samples to manipulate with Monome…yet I am having trouble finding info or tutorials on this.

Further, I see Norns is a popular piece of hardware that seems to maybe run MLR itself and eliminate the need for a computer application? Is this correct or am I off base here? Can Norns effectively eliminate the laptop + software from the equation?

Also - is there a simple and elegant way to utilize this kind of sample manipulation with simply Ableton and a Push? I never dove deep into Push’s capabilities (nor any Max For Live patches), and so far I use it only for basic step sequencing and as a midi controller.

Lastly - can Push be used with Norns instead of Monome?

hi @jvd1000

I fully understand that the monome is just a box of lights that can be used in tandem with open source software.

When you say monome, I take it to mean the grid. The grid can be used with non open-source software as well, like Ableton Live.

but why can’t I find any videos or written tutorials of said software

It’s kind of a machine designed to be adapted to your individual needs, so it’s not tied to any kind piece of software, it just communicates to the computer via serial, it’s up to you to turn that signal into something that MaxForLive can understand, or Node, or other software. It also connects directly into some modular modules via USB.

You can find tutorials and grid software(mostly max4live libraries) on lines. Here’s an example, of the grid being used with Node.js to control Ableton’s Drum Rack.

I see Norns is a popular piece of hardware that seems to maybe run MLR itself and eliminate the need for a computer application? Can Norns effectively eliminate the laptop + software from the equation?

That’s correct. It can.

Is there a simple and elegant way to utilize this kind of sample manipulation with simply Ableton and a Push.

You can listen to the norns’ audio output and somehow use it in your Ableton Live setup. Or use supercollider directly on your computer.

Can Push be used with Norns instead of Monome?

The Norns can use all sorts of midi signal to trigger its applications. It can.

2 Likes

Yes, but not immediately for the same things. Most of the scripts for norns that use a grid are designed explicitly for grid, rather than Midi devices. It’d be possible, I imagine, to rewrite most of them to use other input/output methods, but by default, you can’t just swap a grid for a MIDI controller. (This is the same on desktop computers, too: grids aren’t MIDI devices, so all the Max patches and similar that use them are expecting grids and only grids.)

2 Likes

Ah, that makes perfect sense. So push is using MIDI and the grid is not. I guess I’m also wondering if there are similar Norns scrips (or Max for Live patches) that utilize Push/MIDI instead of the grid. Maybe if not yet, someone will design one soon.

Hello
I am new here.

I look for help with installing grid. Applications do not want to recognize my grid.

What I did:

1. Install serialosc from https://github.com/monome/serialosc/releases/tag/v1.4.1
  2. Install driver from https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
  3. I also downloaded monomeserial which see the device.

it says that it is called m40h_710

but ableton terms and monome sum do not see it.

my computer is macbook pro from 2017 with mac Os Mojave 10.14.1

what can I do?
all the best
alex

Hey Alex:

Check out my dialogue in the more recent posts in the thread I’m linking. Had a similar issue with Mojave.
@robbbiecloset was able to send some terminal commands that somehow fixed my issues…

Monome Beginner Questions

Mods, also maybe move this post to that thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks! will try it out :slight_smile:

i used scripts in terminal

so system see it too. but still I applications don’t.

is there anything more I can do?

When you say “its up to me” I assume you mean it is up to a Max for Live patch? I guess my question remains, is MLR a Max for Live patch or a standalone applicaton, or both? I’m interested in getting started with the grid utilizing MLR specifically. I am just having trouble finding clear instructions on how to do so, or images/videos of the MLR patch or software or whatever it is.

Thanks for your help!

turn off monomeserial and delete it. it’s hopelessly obsolete and does not work with any modern patch. it’s also blocking serialosc from working properly. delete monomeserial and reboot, you might be good to go. if not we can continue debugging!

Looks like it’s a Max patch. You can see the source, a screenshot, and some videos here: https://github.com/monome-community/mlr which is linked from here: https://monome.org/docs/app/

There’s also a “mlrv” linked from the monome site above that doesn’t have a README, maybe that’s the one you’re looking at?

thanks for Your advice.
I deleted it and rebooted. still no response and now additional Mac doesnt see monome as before in system report… have no idea what to do.

What do you mean by that, where are you expecting the grid to appear exactly?

???

if you installed the FTDI VCP driver i’d suggest removing it. (i’m wondering which instructions you were looking at for installation?)

cd /Library/Extensions
sudo rm -rf FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

then reboot

thanks.
I was following some of advices from the forum untill i got stocked and have no more ideas.

Ok after removing ftdi my mac again see monome! (cool :smile:) but still applications in max package do not catch device.

serial osc works i guess