Monome devices not consistently connecting to serialosc (OSX)

when I connect my monomes (old or new) after a boot they tend to work first time.
If I then unplug them, then plug them back in, they don’t seem to connect with serialosc.

no device will be shown in MAX / serialosc
no serialosc-devic gets spawned in activity monitor
ls /dev/tty.usb* does not show the connected monome

in System information the device seems to hang around after its been unplugged, and when connected agian two of them show.

i’ve checked to see if older versions of FTDI need removing
other tty.usb* devices (a PIC32) show with ls /dev/tty.usb* just fine
tried reinstalling serialosc

OSX 10.11.4
serialosc 1.4

any ideas?

What you are describing sounds similar to behavior several people have encountered so far. In my case completely removing older FTDI drivers and using the Apple supplied driver fixed things:

aha! working as expected now, thanks

the command should be:
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

the /System is missing…


Ok, trying to troubleshoot the issue I was having with my arc not showing up on my mac mini (10.11.2 / 7.3.1). Even with my newer grid connection is always patchy, as it connects the first time, but if I unplug or replug it won’t show up again (until I restart Max), or if I quit a patch and reopen it, the same thing.

I haven’t thought much about it since I don’t really perform with this machine, but as I near getting TPV2 ready for performance, I’ll be switching over to the js version of serialosc as well, and I want to troubleshoot the actual issue.

So I’ve tried running (as explained on the setup page, for former FTDI stuff)
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

And it it just tells me:
rm: /System/Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext: No such file or directory

I also ran this:
ls -lrt /dev

And I get this:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 3 22 Oct 11:06 cu.usbserial-m0000229 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 5 22 Oct 11:06 cu.usbserial-m0000004 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 4 22 Oct 11:10 tty.usbserial-m0000004 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 31, 2 22 Oct 11:11 tty.usbserial-m0000229 crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 11, 0 22 Oct 11:18 random crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 3, 2 22 Oct 11:18 null crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 14, 18 22 Oct 11:18 io8logtemp crw-rw-rw- 1 root tty 15, 1 22 Oct 11:18 ptmx crw--w---- 1 Rodrigo tty 16, 0 22 Oct 11:18 ttys000

(I cropped a ton of entries off the start)

Now just to be thorough I loaded up TPV1 in Max6 (which uses the May-14 version of serialosc) and that works just fine. In fact, if I opened up a patch that uses the js version of serialosc in Max7 and then open up the May-14 serialosc in Max7 as well, the js version works fine too (auto-populating the umenu).

So the serialosc server/FTDI stuff appears to be working fine, which leaves just the js version being the only difference.

Is there something else I should be doing? (I did a forum search but nothing concrete to do)

There’s also the option of just using the May-14 serialosc instead of the native one, but that’s a bit lame.

i’m noticing this recently as well-- and it feels like the builtin serialosc.maxpat is flaky. a reload of the maxpat suggests it’s a broken max thing-- or somehow serialosc isn’t reporting a config change every time.

FTDI etc should be fine though, seeing your post. there’s also a new serialosc revision coming that should finally solve the “i2c” device issue.

i’ll look into it.

1 Like

I’m also encountering issues lately with my arc2 on osx, not at the max layer though.

If I connect the arc on a freshly boot machine all good, serialosc recognizes it. But when I unplug and replug, it doesn’t. (ps aux | grep serialosc no result).

When I reboot the machine, serialosc recognizes it again… Tested on both (direct) usb slots on my macbook pro.

osx 10.11.6, latest serialosc. also did the procedure of removing the old driver as on the setup page.

still working on the consistent connection issue, but in the meantime, i’ve added that clicking “none” will rescan connections. this should get rolled into the next max update.

to add this feature to your current install, copy this to


serialosc.js (1.8 KB)